Epcot's original theme. Is it even still relevant?

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I've been reading about the mixed reactions to Epcot's new additions. Frozen, the announcement of Guardians of the Galaxy, and many saying it should go back to it's "former glory" and it got me thinking.
Many say Disney's just given up, or lacks creativity but has anyone here considered that maybe Epcot's original concept just sadly doesn't sell anymore? That the Epcot Center we love so dearly may not even be relevant to modern consumers? Now, before you bring out the pitch forks and torches, here me out. The entire point of EPCOT Center was to provide a serious but optimistic view of the future and man's achievements and I personally like this concept. But I've noticed for years now (I think starting in the mid 90s. Interestingly enough, just as EPCOT center started to change) a desire from the general public and modern media to either deconstruct most things we find optimistic and hopeful (Star Trek in the 90s, Super heroes now, and even Disney a lot of the time) or simply focus on anything that is a total and complete escape from reality. I'm having trouble wording this properly but basically, I wonder. Has Epcot lost its direction because the world has just become too cynical and obsessed with escapism now to even want a park trying to create a serious and optimistic look for the future like EPCOT Center despite how much they may actually need it more than ever? What are your thoughts?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As someone else said on the other thread, it's the FUTURE. People always have, still do, and always will be wondering about the future. EPCOT Center was the perfect answer for people's curiosity about the future in 1982 (the park's tagline was "the 21st century begins October 1, 1982). With all the technological marvels that have come in the 34 years since Epcot opened, people are even more invested in the future. It would be a shame if Disney doesn't see this.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I don't know, from my point of view, people seem scared about the future. Hence all the focus on nostalglia in current media. But you're right about technology now which could be Epcot's other problem. Like the old Tomorrowland, Epcot could just be having trouble keeping up with all the constant change in technology and the future. But in this case, the solution could be simple. Just keep stuff about future technology in the Innoventions sections and just regularly update that and do whatever you want with the rest of future world as long as it has a "future" or hi tech theme to it.

rob0519

Most of technology is moving too fast for Disney. It takes them over two years build an attraction. Just think where cell phones, communications in general, medicine, etc was two years ago and just now being opened at Epcot.

Another issue is Disney no longer has technology partners to showcase their hot technologies. IBM, GE, Kodak, etc. have all pulled away taking their technology showcases with them.

morningstar

Many say Disney's just given up, or lacks creativity but has anyone here considered that maybe Epcot's original concept just sadly doesn't sell anymore? That the Epcot Center we love so dearly may not even be relevant to modern consumers?

There is also another thread that deals with whether selling is the only purpose of Disney. Regardless of that, selling isn't the final word on "relevance".

Also, a good salesperson can sell anything, and a good product sells itself. Sometimes selling what the people are asking for isn't the only way. Sometimes you need to sell them what they didn't know they needed.

But I've noticed for years now (I think starting in the mid 90s. Interestingly enough, just as EPCOT center started to change) a desire from the general public and modern media to either deconstruct most things we find optimistic and hopeful (Star Trek in the 90s, Super heroes now, and even Disney a lot of the time) or simply focus on anything that is a total and complete escape from reality.

And what has all that deconstruction gotten us? Sometimes I think people criticizing an optimistic viewpoint are making excuses for their own failure. "Sure, I failed, but everyone is doomed to fail."

I'm having trouble wording this properly but basically, I wonder. Has Epcot lost its direction because the world has just become too cynical and obsessed with escapism now to even want a park trying to create a serious and optimistic look for the future like EPCOT Center despite how much they may actually need it more than ever? What are your thoughts?

Should Epcot follow this cynicism, or lead with optimism? That's a rhetorical question.

There is maybe a legitimate issue here, but it isn't whether we should be suspicious of optimism on principle. There is a legitimate question of whether science and technology are ultimately good for the world or bad. With things like global warming, people have become more wary of the dark side of technology. And optimism has waned because the year 2000 came and went without robot maids and flying cars. But this is not totally new. Decades ago, people feared technoogy would lead to doomsday in the guise of nuclear weapons. But even in that same era they were optimistic about space exploration.

It's possible Epcot could explore both positive and negative aspects of technology. I think maybe there's already plenty negative out there, and Epcot should play the positive role. Anyway that's sticking to its roots and what it's good at. But anyway it should be about science and technology, not whatever is the latest blockbuster Disney happens to own.

morningstar

Most of technology is moving too fast for Disney. It takes them over two years build an attraction. Just think where cell phones, communications in general, medicine, etc was two years ago and just now being opened at Epcot.

My cell phone is pretty much the same as the one I had two years ago. Or five years ago. It's just bigger and flatter. And has more bugs.

There is plenty of technology out there that will blow your mind that has been conceived, or even reduced to practice, but had not hit the market yet because it isn't cost effective or hasn't found its killer app. What about those flexible display screens? Disney has had plenty of time to do something fun with these in Innoventions, and it would have been up before they became mainstream. I'm sure there are lots of other technologies the could display if they were trying.

rob0519

My cell phone is pretty much the same as the one I had two years ago. Or five years ago. It's just bigger and flatter. And has more bugs.

There is plenty of technology out there that will blow your mind that has been conceived, or even reduced to practice, but had not hit the market yet because it isn't cost effective or hasn't found its killer app. What about those flexible display screens? Disney has had plenty of time to do something fun with these in Innoventions, and it would have been up before they became mainstream. I'm sure there are lots of other technologies the could display if they were trying.

It's not just if Disney is trying. The technology you talk about is not being developed by them. They would need manufacturer to spend tens of millions of dollars to sponsor an attraction. In today's Wall St. environment of quarterly earnings/profits and share price, not many companies are willing to make that investment. Disney has lot almost all their sponsors over the last 20 years.

ThemeParkJunkee

When Epcot first opened, it was about who we are, why we are, what we have accomplished and where we can go. Step one, change the idea that we can have a sea base studying the depths of the ocean to Nemo getting lost yet again. Nemo is a successful IP and needs to go somewhere and we have an aquarium. Add Turtle Talk. We can pass it off as an environmental message even though we are really showing off some new interactive technology. Besides, we need cartoons for the little kids because Epcot is "boring" for them. No kid wants to go into marine biology because of Sea Base Alpha.

Gotta do something in World Showcase about the Mexico boat ride. It is only one of the two rides we actually built for the countries despite planning at least five. Let's add bird toons.

Oh, and add character meet and greets for the countries and make the Norway restaurant a princess meal.

Fast forward. We have set a precedent so let's put one of our very successful IPs into the only other ride in World Showcase" so kids will want to come to Epcot.

I hate to break it to you but WDW circa 1999 inspired both my youngest children in their current careers. One as a firefighter (inoventins) and one as an artist and animator (MGM Studios animation exhibit where they were animating Mulan).

Having two children who chose their careers after one trip to WDW and sticking to it because of the presentation is unique I am sure but when WDW fails to inspire it has lost direction.

180º

EPCOT was the last hurrah for modernism, and we in our postmodern world have moved onto think of the future a little differently. But a similar thing can be said about Disneyland, and I think both Disneyland and early EPCOT have great resonance because even though they don't appeal to postmodern trends, their philosophies didn't really die with their eras. We find them hopeful and refreshing.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Some people will simply seek to justify anything Disney does. Their choice, but they shouldnt be surprised when others advocate an alternative based on something beyond the lowest common denominator.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Some people will simply seek to justify anything Disney does. Their choice, but they shouldnt be surprised when others advocate an alternative based on something beyond the lowest common denominator.

Correct. I feel like their meetings must go something like this,

Person 1: Guardians of the Galaxy!
Person 2: Tower of Terror!

Everyone at the meeting: Hooray!

Weeks later -

Person 1: Fans didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy taking over Tower of Terror. What to do?

Person 2: Universe of Energy!

Everyone at the meeting: Hooray!

Person 3: Ummm.....Energy is actually a really an important topic. I think we could do an original presentation that makes the pavilion relevant again.

(Giant vat of acid is turned over on our imagined imagineer)

Person 1: Let's try that again.

Everyone at meeting: Hooray!

Last edited:

SSH

Funny...despite wall street pressures - or because of them, global brands spend a TON of money on all kinds of promotions and sports partnerships/ sponsorships. I'm surprised some of the tech and other companies with deep pockets don't see the value of an epcot sponsorship, given the sheer volume of visitors. The parks draw more people now than they ever did.

I wonder how the original WDW team pitched them - what made so many sign on then.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I guess I'm just indifferent to it because I didn't actually grow up with EPCOT center the way everyone else here did. I went once as a kid in '90 but the only thing that made an impact on me was Journey into Imagination and the dinosaur scene in UOE. In fact, I couldn't even remember what the ride with the dinosaur scene was for many years. I just remembered going on a ride "with dinosaurs." XD Granted, I was six at the time so probably not the age bracket for EPCOT center.

I wish we had Imagineers like these people again today.

How do you know we don't? We could just have too many short sighted higher ups not green lighting their ideas. They could have Imagineers with the greatest EPCOT idea ever imagined but if all the people in charge want is Frozen and Guardians of the Galaxy, that's all they'll be allowed to build.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom