News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

UNCgolf

I solely commented on 'stale'.

I know -- I was saying that huge portions of the park are stale.

It's not even a function of age. The non-Pandora parts of Animal Kingdom aren't stale (except maybe the remnants of Chester & Hester's) because they're still popular and work. A lot of the current EPCOT stuff wasn't even popular when it was relatively new (Nemo, Imagination, etc.)

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
They really should have just kept RoE for a few more years. This constant changing of shows to new one’s that are inferior is pretty poor
I don’t agree. RoE was wayyyyyy past its prime and I appreciate that they’re trying to modernize.

I am surprised how much people are judging the entire 15-20 minute show based on a painting of a scene and about 20 words of description. It might be great! Everyone thinks the new Disneyland nighttime show is great. They have the capability to nail it! Keep swinging until you do!

bpiper

Am I the only one that sees the taco barges with the bottom parts chopped off?
I see them... Actually it looks like they shrunk but multiplied. There is now 8 of them.

1678913458283.png

fgmnt

I know -- I was saying that huge portions of the park are stale.

It's not even a function of age. The non-Pandora parts of Animal Kingdom aren't stale (except maybe the remnants of Chester & Hester's) because they're still popular and work. A lot of the current EPCOT stuff wasn't even popular when it was relatively new (Nemo, Imagination, etc.)
Pretty much every future world pavilion that had large scale renovations between 2002 and 2012 now range from feeling dated (Test Track) to dead on arrival (... Everything except The Land?). What's funny is, this was all largely true when they announced the barstool, guardians, the water garden, and the mistake on the lake.
"Funny"

UNCgolf

Everyone thinks the new Disneyland nighttime show is great. They have the capability to nail it! Keep swinging until you do!

I think part of the problem is that a Disneyland/Magic Kingdom show should be fundamentally different from an EPCOT show, so being able to design the former successfully doesn't mean they can design the latter. The fact that they're going to use IP songs, while expected (at least by me), makes it feel like they're just planning to design another Disneyland/Magic Kingdom show.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I think part of the problem is that a Disneyland/Magic Kingdom show should be fundamentally different from an EPCOT show, so being able to design the former successfully doesn't mean they can design the latter. The fact that they're going to use IP songs, while expected (at least by me), makes it feel like they're just planning to design another Disneyland/Magic Kingdom show.
Maybe! I think there’s a lot of appetite for that kind of show though. Fantasmic is in many ways an IP show as well. I think it *can* be heavy on IP and still fit Epcot’s themes, tell a story, and be impressive and good. It’s obviously not an easy needle to thread and while they didn’t get it right with Harmonious, I think that they did try to, and I’m glad they’re trying again.

I guess I’m confused as to what *realistic* option people were hoping for that is now ruled out by this sketch and blurb.

UNCgolf

Maybe! I think there’s a lot of appetite for that kind of show though. Fantasmic is in many ways an IP show as well. I think it *can* be heavy on IP and still fit Epcot’s themes, tell a story, and be impressive and good. It’s obviously not an easy needle to thread and while they didn’t get it right with Harmonious, I think that they did try to, and I’m glad they’re trying again.

I guess I’m confused as to what *realistic* option people were hoping for that is now ruled out by this sketch and blurb.

Fantasmic is 100% an IP show, but it's definitely different than any Magic Kingdom/Disneyland show.

I agree, though -- as I said, I always expected it to be full of IP. They weren't going to go back and do a completely original score; that's not how they operate now.

James Alucobond

I see them... Actually it looks like they shrunk but multiplied. There is now 8 of them.

View attachment 704088
Pretty sure that, if those are infrastructure, there are six of them, one hidden behind the central array, one facing straight forward (bottom of your cropped image), and two on either side. Each set of two arches seems to be joined together. Basically, this seems to be a bunch of moveable barges for fountains, lights, lasers, and pyro, perhaps with some salvaged elements.

But it’s probably way too early to tell from this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom