EPCOT's finally on VH1's "I Love The 80s"

Magicot

Original Poster
It's official: EPCOT Center is finally discussed on VH1's "I Love The 80s 3D: 1982." :sohappy: On a brand new episode tonight, EPCOT's opening in 1982 was recalled and commented on by many celebrities. I was very excited to finally see this after waiting through the two other 80s installments. Overall, it was awesome to see the old EPCOT footage and hear people talk about their reactions to the park, but of course, like all the other subjects discussed on the show, it was ridiculed. A good amount of the commenters said the park was extremely boring and one said it was only good because they serve alcohol at the world showcase (unlike the MK). Anyway, there were some good comments and great shots of the park back in '82. For those interested, Disney's TRON was also discussed in this episode. It will be on everynight this week on VH1.

maconMouse

I enjoyed seeing it too! I had TIVO'd it after seeing the post announcing it earlier this week on the boards. Thanks!

Funny hearing them say "9 countries". (Norway & Morocco were still to come...) Loved seeing all the classic footage of the park.

Upsetting to hear them call it "boring" and just a "big science project". Was a lot of the magic we all love now at Epcot not there yet? Can anyone here who was there in that opening year compare it for us?

As Walt Disney dreamed for his parks, they will just keep getting more beautiful and better with age. And the EPCOT Center Circa '82 sure has!

Brian_B

maconMouse said:
Upsetting to hear them call it "boring" and just a "big science project". Was a lot of the magic we all love now at Epcot not there yet?

The magic was there - I love the 80's is a very stupid show that plays to the lowest common denominator. Things on the show that an everyday college kid wouldn't know anything about are ridiculed, regardless of what they really are/were like. The show exists to hand opinions to those too lazy to form opinions on their own. If you are distressed bear in mind that these people are all H-list celebrities who probably had to pay to get on the show.

maconMouse said:
Can anyone here who was there in that opening year compare it for us?

Horizons, Body Wars, and the Living Seas did not exist, and the Imagination ride wasn't open, but the rest of the pavilion was. Instead of Honey I Shrunk the Audience, they had a 3d film called Magic Journeys. Spaceship Earth was narrated by Vic Perrin and had no song at the end. The Land was sponsored by Kraft and Spaceship Earth was sponsered by Bell Systems. Norway and Morroco did not exist. Spaceship earth housed "Earth Station" in it's preshow area, where you could view information about the different pavilions, as well as make dinner reservations via video phone kiosks. Communicore had about 1,000 little attractions including but not limited to People Poll, SMRT-1, the Exxon Energy Exchange, and the short-lived Astuter Computer Revue. Instead of the GM showroom, World of Motion housed GM's Transcenter, including the popular Bird-and-Robot Show. The gift shop in communicore was called the Centorium, and had 2 floors. The Electric Umbrella was called something more futuristic-sounding (but I forget what it was...). There were regularly scheduled shows on the fountain of nations stage. The Odyssey Center was open and had GREAT burgers. There was no way to get to Odyssey Center from the World of Motion Pavilion (I think - it's not on the old maps). The exterior of the Energy Pavilion was painted much differently, every pavilion had a corresponding logo, and there were no leave-a-legacy tombstones in the courtyard. Also, the courtyard fountain was different (blue tiles) and featured a very prominent glass-sculpture.

There was basically just a lot less to do, and the trees were all shorter.

- Brian

scottnj1966

Brian_B said:
The magic was there - I love the 80's is a very stupid show that plays to the lowest common denominator. Things on the show that an everyday college kid wouldn't know anything about are ridiculed, regardless of what they really are/were like. The show exists to hand opinions to those too lazy to form opinions on their own. If you are distressed bear in mind that these people are all H-list celebrities who probably had to pay to get on the show.

Horizons, Body Wars, and the Living Seas did not exist, and the Imagination ride wasn't open, but the rest of the pavilion was. Instead of Honey I Shrunk the Audience, they had a 3d film called Magic Journeys. Spaceship Earth was narrated by Vic Perrin and had no song at the end. The Land was sponsored by Kraft and Spaceship Earth was sponsered by Bell Systems. Norway and Morroco did not exist. Spaceship earth housed "Earth Station" in it's preshow area, where you could view information about the different pavilions, as well as make dinner reservations via video phone kiosks. Communicore had about 1,000 little attractions including but not limited to People Poll, SMRT-1, the Exxon Energy Exchange, and the short-lived Astuter Computer Revue. Instead of the GM showroom, World of Motion housed GM's Transcenter, including the popular Bird-and-Robot Show. The gift shop in communicore was called the Centorium, and had 2 floors. The Electric Umbrella was called something more futuristic-sounding (but I forget what it was...). There were regularly scheduled shows on the fountain of nations stage. The Odyssey Center was open and had GREAT burgers. There was no way to get to Odyssey Center from the World of Motion Pavilion (I think - it's not on the old maps). The exterior of the Energy Pavilion was painted much differently, every pavilion had a corresponding logo, and there were no leave-a-legacy tombstones in the courtyard. Also, the courtyard fountain was different (blue tiles) and featured a very prominent glass-sculpture.

There was basically just a lot less to do, and the trees were all shorter.

- Brian

Vic Perrin , I remember it being Walter Cronkite.
You sure?

kaylasmom

I LOVE this show. I disagree with the poster who stated that everything is ridiculed. I think that by poking fun at the past we are actually showing it respect. Let's face it... I grew up in the 80's... looking back, some of the stuff we did and wore were pretty stupid. However, just because I can see the humor in 80's culture now doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate it. And I don't remember anyone "ridiculing" video games, Edwin McCain was talking about playing video games for so long you'd get vertigo!!! Which was just about how it was once you got your Atari 2600!!!! You have to be able to laugh at yourself and things that you do, or you'll just go nuts. People really need to get a sense of humor about these sorts of things.

What would have been funny and entertaining about a show that merely lists things that were popular back in the 80's? I actually enjoy hearing comments from obscure comedians, although not everyone on the show is "H" list. ***I'm a HUGE Lost fan, and Jorge Garcia is most decidedly NOT "H" list!!!! :fork: :D *** Although I do wonder how someone who was born in 1982 really remembers the Mon Chi Chi in its prime.

Don't worry, in another 20 years, they will be doing another show about how stupid the first decade of 2000 was. VH1 isn't the History Channel, it's purpose is just to take a humorous look back at the decade where it was cool for a guy to wear a pink bandana and tube socks. What's not funny about that? And why on Earth would you take anything that Lance Bass from N'Sync says seriously???? He probably STILL thinks EPCOT is the most boring place on Earth.

Punkss

Don't worry, in another 20 years, they will be doing another show about how stupid the first decade of 2000 was. VH1 isn't the History Channel, it's purpose is just to take a humorous look back at the decade where it was cool for a guy to wear a pink bandana and tube socks. What's not funny about that? And why on Earth would you take anything that Lance Bass from N'Sync says seriously???? He probably STILL thinks EPCOT is the most boring place on Earth.

Very true, there are plenty of documentaries on Epcot and all the parks. This is just a bunch of people who need to say the funniest thing possible to make sure they are in the next show. We have far too many of these shows in the UK and I'm pretty sure that because they remember absolutley everything that ever happened...they are making it up!

And besides even though they take the mickey (no pun intended....oh go on then maybe it is!) you know they enjoyed it really. Big grins when they left but they need to keep what ever cool they have left after doing a program like this!

scottnj1966

warlord said:
Vic for the win

I just watched the old sse video again. I don't know who this vic guy is but it is clearly Walter Cronkite. I guess they changed the vic guy soon after it was open.

dxwwf3

I believe Vic Perrin was in SSE from about 1982 to 1984 or so. They brought in Walter Cronkite and the Tomorrow's Child finale then, at least that's what my memory is telling me.

Gucci65

I saw that last night while I was channel surfing.

I thought I heard the announcer call it Experimental PLANNING instead of Experimental PROTOTYPE.

n'Sync boy is an a$$hat - who cares if he was bored with Epcot. I'm sure he's still bored with it since he actually trained to be a cosmonaut.......

Dragonrider1227

can't say what they said doesn't have merit. I recall occasionally getting bored at Epcot when I was little. :lol: But then, i've always had a low attention span.:p

nibblesandbits

Brian_B said:

I very much disagree with this post. I am one of those college students and I know a lot about what happened during the 80s! (And sure, I learn about some things I didn't know about either, I mean come on, I was only 0-7 in the 80s).

Sure the show is pointless, but that's why it's fun! That's why there are 3 different versions of it. If you have a problem with it, don't watch it, however, I know many people who look forward to when I love the 80s are going to be on!

(And yes, I'm aware the commentators get paid...:hammer: Even H-level celebrities need money! :lol: )

nibblesandbits

KumbaRider said:
What time is this on?

Well, with VH1 it's on all the time! :lol:

New episodes air every night this week from 9:00 Est until 11:00 Est. There are two episodes each night. Each one being an hour long

rainfully

nibblesandbits said:
Well, with VH1 it's on all the time! :lol:

New episodes air every night this week from 9:00 Est until 11:00 Est. There are two episodes each night. Each one being an hour long

Plus, they replay all of the previous episodes before they air the new ones!

Hehe... I'm with the ones who love these shows... THEY ARE SO ADDICTING!!! And they crack me up! :lol:

dxwwf3

nibblesandbits said:
I very much disagree with this post. I am one of those college students and I know a lot about what happened during the 80s! (And sure, I learn about some things I didn't know about either, I mean come on, I was only 0-7 in the 80s).

Sure the show is pointless, but that's why it's fun! That's why there are 3 different versions of it. If you have a problem with it, don't watch it, however, I know many people who look forward to when I love the 80s are going to be on!

I totally agree. I love (pardon the pun) the "I Love The..." series. My favorites have been the original 80's and 80's Strikes Back, but the 90's and the 70's were fun too. Actually I'd go as far to say that these are some of my favorite shows on television, certainly better than anything on the networks right now (Outside of The Office and Family Guy/American Dad).

3D has, naturally, been the worst of the series so far because there is only so much you can do, but it's been entertaining enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom