Epcot82Guy's Return to the World (quick trip)

Well, after 3.5 years, I made a triumphant return to the World. It was only for a couple days, but it was a great trip. I've divided this up into the "news" and "thoughts."

Day 1:
MK all day. It was a great day. Crowds were low for this time.
-Pirates looks good. It was well done. I don't know that I "like" the changes, but I can see how it would be liked by the crowds. The overall tone is much darker, so it has really combined the film and attraction into one experience.
-Space Mountain is still great. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how people find the ride jarring. It is a bit jerky by design, but it gives a very smooth ride. I guess that comes from riding the big wooden coasters up north!
-Stitch is awful. I now see where the problems are coming from. It's not that the attraction is bad, it is that the story is dreadful. That makes it worse in that it has huge potential! It just doesn't make sense.
-I love the new small world.
-Haunted Mansion really needs an update. The audio was very inconsistent, and it could use some new effects. HOPEFULLY soon.
-Splash looked great! Hopping Brer Rabbit, jumping water, everything. AND NO SMELL! :sohappy:
-The audience in Country Bears was REALLY into it. It was great to see.
-COP had small audiences in the morning, but it had a line pretty much all afternoon and evening. Good to see. It could use an update, though.
-Wishes was nice to see (finally). Although, word to the wise, the audio near the Crystal Palace is VERY LOW. The show is nice, but you really have to stand in front of the castle to get the proper effect. I'll have to stick with I:ROE.

Day 2: EXTREME park hopping
FINALLY, got to see Soarin' and Mission:Space.
-On M:S, I did Green first then Orange. This is VERY SMART if you haven't done them. I honestly didn't notice a ton of difference between Green and Orange when I did them back to back. However, when I rode ORange later on, you could notice the intensity more. 3 years of hype made me think it was going to be more. I kinda walked off saying "That was it?" :lol: I like it overall, but would never take a young child on it.
-On Soarin', we had a good ride (smells working), but we were in the low row, so we saw feet and the screen. My friends got on later on the top row and said it was amazing. I missed out (was doing Everest- see below). Next trip, I guess. The two changes I would like to see: (1) either doors that open when you fly or a fog effect to block the screen when the clouds are up and (2) GET RID OF THE HARD CUTS! Otherwise, A+.
-LwtL had a good guide for us. I will miss them, too. But, some of the new things on show at the greenhouses are really cool. HIGHLY recommend the Behind the Seeds Tour.

After a morning/afternoon in Epcot, it became ULTRA HOPPER time. From 6:00pm TO 11:00PM, I and another friend ran from park to park, doing attractions sans fastpasses.
1. We drove from Epcot to DAK to do Everest. Good ride. I really like it. It is not a major thrill ride, but I think that is a good thing. It is very re-rideable and appropriate for a large audience. The only thing is that I wish there would have been more visual things like a village or tea equipment along the initial route leading up to the incline. The Yeti is VERY cool.
2. Off Everest and drove to MGM for a RnRC ride. Unfortunately, the 40 min wait was actually 60.
3. SPRINTED to Epcot and made it to the WS walkway literally as the main firework for I:ROE flew. When did they get rid of the perimeter bursts? I like the replacements in that they are larger and louder (wow are they!), but it is different. I like the minor changes, but I do wish the perimetere effects were still there.
4. Trip back over to MK for a final ride on Pirates and Space Mountain (and a Dole Whip Float)

All in all, Day 2 was the best diet you could be on. I walked all day and had split and order of fries and a dole whip float (and about 3 diet cokes) all day.

Overall, the parks looked good. Guests are still pretty rude about trash in the queues, so I picked up quite a bit as I went, but the main areas looked good. The overall look was better, and the cast seemed enthusiastic for 90+ degree heat.

My Commentary:

Overall, the Resort is definitely getting better. However, the marketing of the characters is absolutely dominating. It's not another world, it's another DISNEY world. (and don't forget that). Personally, I don't like this, but it is what it is. I remember as a kid I really liked getting into the original stories. I was never a fan of the characters, so I don't like the trend. Now, they are everywhere. I guess it feels like it really is a kids' park now. It's not the parks to grow up with, it's parks to grow out of. I guess it would be great if one park could keep the originality mentality (Epcot is the natural choice) and let the characters dominate elsewhere if necessary. When I see Mickey, Nemo, Stitch, the Mosters, etc. all over the place, it really causes concern. I was with two young adults that had not been in years. They saw Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, Seas w. Nemo, and some other attractions and said, "Who are these?" It's lost its relevance to the wider audience IMHO.

Luckily, upkeep is still high, and there are some great attractions coming in. Soarin', Everest, and M:S were great. They work well. However, the overbranding is a bit much. I know I am at Disney. I don't need characters to remind me of that. However, it does seem that some guests want that. I just hope that we are not doing the dangerous "aiming toward kids" because they grow up and out of that. Classic adventures, strong presentations where people make their own stories, etc. are things you can return to at any age, at least to me.

Thanks for reading. It was great to make it back down, and thanks to any CMs I may have bumped into! :wave:

dxwwf3

Thanks for the report and I can say I feel the same way about 99.9999% of the topics brought up here.

The upkeep quality does seem to be very, very good right now and I hope it always stays that way.

I also miss the days where you could be a kid and fall in love with new, original characters at the Disney parks. I can remember getting Figment and Captain EO character plushes as a child and to me S.I.R. and Timekeeper are just as much Disney to me as Mickey and Donald. But I understand that there is plenty of money to be made on the already established characters. But I do agree that it is sad that the current crop of kids won't have that many original characters to enjoy.

DisneyRoxMySox

Thanks for the report and I can say I feel the same way about 99.9999% of the topics brought up here.

The upkeep quality does seem to be very, very good right now and I hope it always stays that way.

I also miss the days where you could be a kid and fall in love with new, original characters at the Disney parks. I can remember getting Figment and Captain EO character plushes as a child and to me S.I.R. and Timekeeper are just as much Disney to me as Mickey and Donald. But I understand that there is plenty of money to be made on the already established characters. But I do agree that it is sad that the current crop of kids won't have that many original characters to enjoy.

I couldn't agree with both of you more. Thanks for the update and your thoughts. :D

KnK

I grew up in CA and Disneyland was by only experiece with theme parks. I agree with much of what you are saying when it comes to characters. I am not a big character chaser myself and we don't have kids.

I much prefered when they wondered through the park. It made them more part of the attactions, then them having to be an attaction on their own.

I used to feel more cut off from the outside world, but over the past couple of years (mainly after 2001), I have noticed more of the outside world creeping in.

Captain Hank

The ROE perimeter shells are still a part of the show, it's just a toss-up as to whether or not they're launched (likely due to wind). I've seen the show about 4 times in the past 2 months, and only once did I see the perimeters.

Glad to hear that you had a great trip!

Epcot82Guy

Original Poster
The ROE perimeter shells are still a part of the show, it's just a toss-up as to whether or not they're launched (likely due to wind). I've seen the show about 4 times in the past 2 months, and only once did I see the perimeters.

Glad to hear that you had a great trip!

Interesting. I was surprised that hadn't gotten more coverage on the boards. The central launches they have work well as a cover, and they have definitely added some fireworks to the show since 2003. It is still, by far, my favorite! Actually, I think I remember there being a health problem with the perimeters a couple years ago, so they may require still wind conditions to use them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom