Epcot Wand still on Spaceship Earth

speck76

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I would kind of think and hope they would take the wand and stars down by 2006 or during 2006. Spaceship Earth is a marvel. It is the first completely lifted geodesicsphere. Yes there were completely lifted spheres before it, but Spaceship Earth is the first one to be completed geodesically. I think that is something to celebrate.

This fact is lost on 99.99999% of the visitors to Epcot. I like the wand, although to purists it may be looked at as damaging the integrity of the look of the geodesic sphere....personally, I could care less about that...I think it add a sense of place in a theme park that seems to suffer from an image problem with the general public.

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I have always felt that the original entrance from 1982 to 1999 made sense. It was simple, not complex, and airy. It used cool toned colors and chrome, with a small slap on of orange paint. It had fountains and gardens, exotic plants, and two parallel rows of palms trees of different heights making their way up to Spaceship Earth. It as very beautiful, and veyr welcoming to the guest.

I have never really felt the entrance to Epcot was welcoming, no matter with incarnation. I don't agree with returning to the old entrance look, as it still looked very much 1982, but something else could be done.....I think they need to look at redoing the entire entrance, from the monorail station, ticket booths, and gates (how many of those ticket booths are still needed or used).

WDWEric

Bring back the old entrance and, leave the wand, with the wand up it doesn't look quite so much lke a giant golf ball, plus it looks cool at night!

raven

horizonsboy said:
If you go to http://www.instacam.com/InstaCAM/im...LKBNV&DateString=08182004&Rerun=Rerun&Views=5 you will see the Epcot wand structure on SsE. So it didn't get blown in the WS lagoon after all... :)

Who said it WAS blown down? I know people wanted to see it blown away but I never heard the rumor that it HAD been. And the WS is quite a bit of ways away from SE. If the wind had been powerful enough to carry that wand all that way, other things would have been blown away as well.

Just goes to prove you can't always believe what you read.

Ringo8n24

The wand is tolerable, but Leave a Legacy does not fit. I hate to disagree with many of you, but I feel the entrance could be better than those things. I also feel cheated when it is one of my choices in the packages. I would rather have the picture frame as my gift choice.

mrtoad

I have to say, I don't care for the wand at all. The tiles don't bother me too much, though I woul not have done them. I think they should have done the bricks like they have at the MK. Does anyone know why they stopped the bricks? I had heard originally they were going to go all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon. They stop about a 3rd the way around.

tigger248

I'm not a fan of Leave a Legacy. I think it makes the entrance look like some silly maze instead of a theme park entrance. I used to like the wand in 2000 when it was something new and different. At the time, I thought it was temporary and made a special point to go and see it. I had no idea that it was a permanent idea. I thought that, like the pink castle, it would go away as soon as the celebration was over. I like occasional changes for special events, but I think these occasional changes should be temporary. The hat in the studios is nice, and I liked it during the 100 years celebration. But, I always thought it was a bad location and I wish we could still see the Chinese Theater. I too like Fantasia a lot and Sorcerer Mickey is among my favorite characters, but that doesn't make me like the wand.

DivineMadness7

tigger248 said:
The hat in the studios is nice, and I liked it during the 100 years celebration. But, I always thought it was a bad location and I wish we could still see the Chinese Theater. I too like Fantasia a lot and Sorcerer Mickey is among my favorite characters, but that doesn't make me like the wand.

I agree, there was nothing like walking into the park and seeing that theater in the distance...that is why I don't like the hat. At least with the wand (and this is in no way defending the wand) you can still SEE the exterior of SSE...that hat is just... :fork:

tigger248

mrtoad said:
I have to say, I don't care for the wand at all. The tiles don't bother me too much, though I woul not have done them. I think they should have done the bricks like they have at the MK. Does anyone know why they stopped the bricks? I had heard originally they were going to go all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon. They stop about a 3rd the way around.

I thought the area for the bricks was full, but I guess maybe that's not the case. I also heard, from my manager when I was a cast member, that the bricks were deteriorating too quickly. People were getting too angry that they had paid a lot of money and the bricks were getting cracked and worn down. Some bricks are quickly wearing out and you do see some with cracks down the middle, so this makes sense. I also had heard that leave a legacy had not taken off as well as they had hoped. I personally would never do it because it's a lot of money for a not so good quality photo. Plus, not many people really look at all of them. The only people I ever see looking are the ones who probably have their own pic. I certainly never really pay attention to them. I'm always too anxious to get to the rest of the park.

mrtoad

tigger248 said:
I thought the area for the bricks was full, but I guess maybe that's not the case. I also heard, from my manager when I was a cast member, that the bricks were deteriorating too quickly. People were getting too angry that they had paid a lot of money and the bricks were getting cracked and worn down. Some bricks are quickly wearing out and you do see some with cracks down the middle, so this makes sense. I also had heard that leave a legacy had not taken off as well as they had hoped. I personally would never do it because it's a lot of money for a not so good quality photo. Plus, not many people really look at all of them. The only people I ever see looking are the ones who probably have their own pic. I certainly never really pay attention to them. I'm always too anxious to get to the rest of the park.

The area in front of MK and part way around Seven Seas Lagoon is full but it does not go all the way around which is what I thought the plan was, maybe I am wrong. Also I thought they were replacing bricks if they cracked. We have one that is on the way to the Contemporary from the MK. We got it in 1995 I think. If I remember correctly, on the form you fill out it says something about if the brick is removed before 10 years is up from the time you purchase it you can get your money back, after that no dice. Also they said something along the lines that you do not really own it and you do not own a piece of WDW, etc. We did it just because we thought it was cool and still do. I hope they do keep them forever and do replace them when they crack or wear to much.

tigger248

I liked the bricks, just not the leave a legacy at Epcot. I always wanted a brick, but my parents never thought they were worth the money. By the time I was old enough/able to purchase a brick on my own, they stopped doing them. Oh well, it's neat to look at them as you walk over them. I always like looking for one that was put in place on my birthday, or any other significant date. The bricks just seem so much more tasteful than leave a legacy.

mrtoad

tigger248 said:
it's neat to look at them as you walk over them. I always like looking for one that was put in place on my birthday, or any other significant date.

I like to look to see if I know anyone or to look at where everyone is from. Pretty neat...

CaptainMichael

Hopefully, one day the wand and stars will be removed. Spaceship is awesome by itself!

I like Leave a Legacy and will be purchasing one on my Grad Nite trip in April 2005. I will be taking a picture with my best friend since Kindergarten. For years to come, I will be able to go to Epcot, find the picture, and remember my Grad Nite trip. And one day, I'll be able show my son and/or daughter a picture of Daddy and his best friend at Epcot from all the way back in 2005.

Number_6

raven said:
Who said it WAS blown down? I know people wanted to see it blown away but I never heard the rumor that it HAD been. And the WS is quite a bit of ways away from SE. If the wind had been powerful enough to carry that wand all that way, other things would have been blown away as well.

Just goes to prove you can't always believe what you read.

People were joking around about it in another thread. That post I believe was intended to be an extension of the same joke. I think that's the reason for the smiley at the end. :animwink:

webmomom

I yurn for the day when the wand and stars come off of SSE, and we get just get closer to that great old EPCOT Center, let alone an overhaul of the entrance to the park which is a dark, and barren wasteland full of pictures of peeps who got sucked into leave-a-legacy. Grrrrrrr just another way of getting peep's money

I am one of those people that got sucked into leave-a-legacy and I love it. :kiss: We also have a brick. I thought Epcot was built to look to the future and they are very futureistic looking. I also don't see any problem to the wand, actually at night I like the way it looks. Also during the day with the sun shinning on it brings attention to the ball. Before it was a drab big ball in the skyline. :veryconfu I know the building of it is amazing, but it still was a very drab big ball.

Expo_Seeker40

I think leave-a-legacy is literally to much "in your face" and "buy one right now" deal. I don't feel that way with the bricks. I still feel that leave a legacy should be moved into a park between future world and world showcase it would be neat to have them strattle to themed lands and a nice park like setting.

I think the current entrance is too cluttered and sort of a maze. [Yes I can find my way around it. ;)]

I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, but in my honest opinion I think the wand now detracts from spaceship earth. It is odd to think that it is still there. I mean SSE went for decades without, got it as a neat thing for 2000, yet they still keep it there. It makes the ball look smaller than it is, and throws it off balance. The ball was nice and simple, a sphere, a symbol of modern design and engineering, and now that take on some gawdy sign on it with the incorect spelling of 'Epcot' in cursive when almost everything else in future world is written in bold. Seems very awkward to me.

ALOT was taken out of the entrance and overall spirit of EPCOT Center when they built the new entrance if you ask me, and no I don't think the wand in the day attracts to the ball at all, it is more of an eyesore, and bad remnant of the 2000 celebration. T

hat's like disney leaving some candles and banners on Cinderella Castle after 1996-1997 for the 25th Anniversary, with some pink towers. I can see it right now "oh we wanted to keep the cheer and celebration for cinderella's castle as permanent reminder, and any one who likes 'Barbie' or hot pink will instantly be attracted to the castle." If they did that, there would be protests "right down the middle of Main Street USA".

That's like leaving the MGM earful tower with it's christmas design all year round, or putting an 'ANIMAL KINGDOM' sign on the tree of life.

They were very sloppy when they left the wand and stars up. They certainly have the money to take it down, especially when it is an icon of EPCOT Center, and all its versions.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens during 2006-2008 if they do decide to take it down at that time or before EPCOT Center's 25th anniversary.

Chape19714

i hope they throw a party for Epcot's 25th! Maybe they will turn spaceship earth into a giant balloon or gumball or something. lol. nothing drastic like what they did with the castle. I do hope they do something, like a brother bear river rapid ride for canada, or something, like a new IllumiNations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom