News EPCOT to be festival-free for summer 2024

ToTBellHop

I read it differently. Pushing festivals into the summer did no noticeable boost to attendance and actually cost them as they had to pay bands, workers, food costs, etc. to run the festivals that weren’t bringing in extra people. It’s just too hot.
I think they would need to try something different in the summer. We had every intention of enjoying F&W last August but only went to a few carts. As you say—too hot to leisurely stroll around WS. They would need to move the additions into enclosed (preferably air-conditioned) spaces.

bmr1591

I think they would need to try something different in the summer. We had every intention of enjoying F&W last August but only went to a few carts. As you say—too hot to leisurely stroll around WS. They would need to move the additions into enclosed (preferably air-conditioned) spaces.

They need a water festival with mist sprayers cooling you off across the showcase.

ToTBellHop

They need a water festival with mist sprayers cooling you off across the showcase.
There are definitely ways to do it. There are summer festivals all around the world that make plenty of money in the heat.

I do think stretching existing festivals out to four months diluted their success. Some sort of “festival of surprises” with constantly-changing offerings would drive interest better. Why would you visit in November to try food you already disliked in July?

Bocabear

Thing is, they wouldn't have ever needed the festivals if they had just updated and added attractions over the years....The festivals kept EPCOT going.... I would prefer they just have one festival a year and invest in adding pavilions and attractions.... That was the biggest problem with EPCOT... It was never built out as promised and the attractions were never thoughtfully updated.....

ToTBellHop

Thing is, they wouldn't have ever needed the festivals if they had just updated and added attractions over the years....The festivals kept EPCOT going.... I would prefer they just have one festival a year and invest in adding pavilions and attractions.... That was the biggest problem with EPCOT... It was never built out as promised and the attractions were never thoughtfully updated.....
I have no issue with a permanent worlds fair having a revolving showcase of limited-time food offerings, as is typical of fairs. That shouldn’t have any impact on their ability to update Test Track again in 2032.

Ayla

Regal Eagle isn't even half as good as Polite Pig, and that's on Disney property!

Not really a knock on Regal Eagle either, just that Polite Pig is much, much better BBQ than I ever expected to find at Disney (it even got a Bib Gourmand award from Michelin).
Agreed. There is no comparison between Polite Pig and Regal Eagle. The "bbq" we had at Regal Eagle was inedible.

Ayla

I like the festivals as long as it isn't too crowded/too many drunk guests
For the most part, I like the festivals, too...BUT, there are too many negatives (for me) that outweigh the positives. The booths physically clutter the walkways with people and infrastructure, there is no where to sit and eat your food, other than a few haphazardly placed high top tables, and the quantity of food you get for the price is ridiculous.

Andrew25

Agreed. There is no comparison between Polite Pig and Regal Eagle. The "bbq" we had at Regal Eagle was inedible.
A year or two ago I would disagree... last two visits to Regal Eagle have shown an unfortunately drop in quality. Goes the same for a lot of QSR locations I used to love unfortunately. Stupid dining plan.

For the most part, I like the festivals, too...BUT, there are too many negatives (for me) that outweigh the positives. The booths physically clutter the walkways with people and infrastructure, there is no where to sit and eat your food, other than a few haphazardly placed high top tables, and the quantity of food you get for the price is ridiculous.
I really hope this is their next project at Epcot. The new "festival area" they're building next to Imagination is a step in the right direction... just need additional shade structures now.
  • The area in America in front of Art of Disney can be redone to accommodate an additional booth along with more seating.
  • Area between Morroco and France is no longer suitable for a substantial new pavilion... I'd rather they level some of that berm and expand with additional seating/covered shaded areas.
  • There's a berm between Italy and America that can also host an expanded seating area with booth space.

One thing I'd love for them to do (as much as people will hate me for it) is to convert that bridge between World Celebration and World Showcase into a covered bridge to provide some relief from the sun.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I do think stretching existing festivals out to four months diluted their success.

If only someone would have pointed this out to TDO... Oh wait. Some of us did. It's one of the many Bob Specials© - If something is successful and is special when it only runs 30 days, then running it for 115 days makes it even more successfulerer and specialerererer!!!

Disstevefan1

I read it differently. Pushing festivals into the summer did no noticeable boost to attendance and actually cost them as they had to pay bands, workers, food costs, etc. to run the festivals that weren’t bringing in extra people. It’s just too hot.
I get it. Cost cutting.

Not sure if it’s about attendance any more.

It’s all about per capita spending at the parks.

Last edited:

Comped

The tribute/local band route (which Disney has been using more and more post-pandemic is cheap, and reflects continued cost cutting when most bands Disney has used in the past (and even some of the ones from my youth that are getting a bit too old in the tooth without new popular music) aren't that expensive for the amount of people they tend to draw out of lines for literally everything else.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Summertime festivals don't make money... that's a sign it's not popular. And why should Disney provide an unpopular experience?

It's not like there aren't dozens of other places to eat that's air conditioned.

A Summer Festival has to begin with lots of shaded areas to eat.

Maybe put up some sort of tent roof in the Hub. Sorta like kites or sails...

ToTBellHop

If Summertime festivals don't make money... that's a sign it's not popular. And why should Disney provide an unpopular experience?

It's not like there aren't dozens of other places to eat that's air conditioned.

A Summer Festival has to begin with lots of shaded areas to eat.

Maybe put up some sort of tent roof in the Hub. Sorta like kites or sails...
Or use a large, open dome that’s just sitting there waiting for people to come play.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom