Epcot restoration nice, did they go to far?

Incomudro

I loved the original Epcot, and loved it in the early 90's.
Edutainment was right up my alley, because I've always been a guy who liked science.
This subject has been beat to death, but Epcot was doomed to fail simply because the approach ages out - and keeping large scale attractions up to date - up to a future that's been predicted incorrectly - is an extremely expensive impossibility.
Spaceship Earth still works, because it's mostly a journey into the past with few predictions of the future.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I’m moderate, I don’t care for a 1982 Epcot Center but post Epcot 94 for me is my happy place. I would be happy going back to that era with Reflections of Earth and the Disney Ip as long as it doesn’t plow down an existing attractions. What I don’t get is that they unlike the Magic Kingdom they have the same number of rides they did in 1984. When something new comes an original closes when they should be increasing the number of attractions. I think they should gut 75% of Spaceship Earth and make it about progress, no story telling. If Magic Kingdom can have carousel of progress I think Spaceship Earth should cover earths story starting with Dinosaurs, civilization, travel, And make it a great ride thru of carousel of progress narrated by John and Sara, Put Imagination back together and they can do what ever the hell they want to the rest of Epcot.
I like your SSE idea. It would also give a legitimate excuse to finally close and replace Carousel of Progress, as long as the new SSE is a worthy successor.

I'm aware Horizons was technically a sequel to COP, but you have a great idea there.

josephe814

Deep down, people crave true mental engagement. Our daily lives and the internet do not provide this.
My nieces who are 6 and 10 absolutley loved Epcot last year. The favorite rides were the educational classics.
We need Epcot back now, more than ever.
Very short lines compared to other attractions

SteveBrickNJ

I skimmed this thread and gave a few "likes" here and there. If anyone is in the mood, I would be grateful if you shared with me about the NEW Epcot. So much posting about what will be abandoned...yet I'm clueless as to what will take its place o_O
You could provide a link to an informative thread or take the time to post an informative answer.
Thanks in advance! ;)
Steve
(a guy who has been to Epcot 5 or 6 times but I don't really follow Disney News. I'm not a Disney fanatic...yet this thread really interested me :cool: )

SteveBrickNJ

I skimmed this thread and gave a few "likes" here and there. If anyone is in the mood, I would be grateful if you shared with me about the NEW Epcot. So much posting about what will be abandoned...yet I'm clueless as to what will take its place o_O
You could provide a link to an informative thread or take the time to post an informative answer.
Thanks in advance! ;)
Steve
(a guy who has been to Epcot 5 or 6 times but I don't really follow Disney News. I'm not a Disney fanatic...yet this thread really interested me :cool: )
I came back because I found this....

ppete1975

IF they had kept communicore in its original form and given space to companies to show off their newest products, part of it could still work. Imagine Space x having a "booth" or area explaining starship, the trip to mars, or even starlink. Tesla showing off their truck. A cell phone company explaining what comes after 5G. Even a cyber security demonstration. Some kind of interactive thing for children explaining and letting them play with coding. Basically a showcase with some STEM built in. By having outside companies provide parts of this it wouldnt become outdated as they would just role out their newest thing at no true cost of redoing a ride etc.

Robbiem

IF they had kept communicore in its original form and given space to companies to show off their newest products, part of it could still work. Imagine Space x having a "booth" or area explaining starship, the trip to mars, or even starlink. Tesla showing off their truck. A cell phone company explaining what comes after 5G. Even a cyber security demonstration. Some kind of interactive thing for children explaining and letting them play with coding. Basically a showcase with some STEM built in. By having outside companies provide parts of this it wouldnt become outdated as they would just role out their newest thing at no true cost of redoing a ride etc.

Companies do a lot of exhibits like this for trade fairs like CES etc, they could recycle these through Epcot for some extra publicity. It could even be part of another epcot festival dedicated to the future!

FutureCEO

Than why bother doing anything lol, this is Disney, they love to hold onto money. All they needed was new projection in UOE, fix walkways and the entrance, make an ending for Spaceship Earth with updated narration and update Journey into Imagination if you want to go large and they could have turned innoventions to the play pavilion.

Innoventions was a play pavilion minus the Disney stuff they shove down your throat with every ride update. If I wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom, I would go there and not Epcot but that day is long gone.

I'm kinda of dreading this new fireworks show. My expectations are not high so Disney doesn't have that far to climb over them.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks in advance! ;)
Steve

Things not happening (for now... maybe...)

The only thing that may be totally scrapped is the Festival building. Right now, Disney's saying that there will be a Festival *area*. We presume grass and booths. There's a rumor that once the parks are back at normal capacity and finances stabilize, they may still make a stab at the proposed 3-tier toadstool building.

Mary Poppins [a story time attraction] is indefinitely delayed.

The Wishing Tree's status is unknown (and I don't think anyone was excited for it).

PLAY! may be delayed (and some have grumbled against it... but Wonders of Life wasn't really being utilized anyway).

The Spaceship Earth uptheming is indefinitely delayed (and few were excited about that).

And... that's it.

Everything else that was mentioned pre-COVID is still coming:
  • Harmonius
  • Cosmic Rewind
  • Ratatouille
  • Creperie
  • Journey of Water
  • New Entrance with New Entrance Fountain
  • Hub "storytelling" fountain
  • Space 220
  • Dreamer's Point
  • Festival "area"
  • New Mouse Gears
  • New Electric Umbrella
  • New Club Cool
  • New Starbucks
  • Wondrous China
  • Bonus Gelato Stand

This is all in addition to what was already done: the three new movies and Regal Eagle.

The thread discussing it is here:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom