Epcot Needs HELP

Brad Bishop

Ya, epcot definitely needs some tlc. A lot of things in WDW need tlc honestly, but epcot glaringly needs tlc. Its overall theme is what hinders it. We now live in the future, and the future isn't as exciting to a 2016 kid as it was to a 1982 kid. Epcot suffers from an identity crisis, and hopefully they can figure out something to do with it soon.

It's not just the Future World side of things. World Showcase is also kind of stale. No new countries since, what, 1988? Same with rides (wait, they're getting Frozen which doesn't fit and is a retread!). They even have stuff that they planned to put in as part of the opening of Epcot that they didn't because of the budget cuts. The idea is already there, all they'd have to do is build it (Rhine River in Germany; I think there was something similar with the Thames for the UK.). Except for Canada, have any of the films been updated?

The problem with Epcot is that it's stale, all the way through. Tron Track was the latest update.

Ralphlaw

Future World is kind of stuck with an in between theming. Tomorrowland was actually quite futuristic when it opened out in California in the 1950's. But then they kind of let it go carnival and corny, which is fun but not exactly futuristic.

Now, the pace of scientific change makes it nearly impossible to keep FW on the cutting edge. An attraction is out of date even before it's built. Or the direction of technology changes direction. SE used to end with Webcams, which never really took off. They took that part out of the ride, but then Skype actually made it a reality.

A complete rethink in some ways may be appropriate, but you don't just take down multi-million dollar attractions on a whim. Mission Space should change up ala Star Tours. If there are an array of different space destinations, it'll revitalize. Test Track brilliantly made the preshow car design on a par with the ride itself. That type of change and individuality can do wonders for the entire park. Just sitting in your seat to see the exact same show every time like we do in Universe of Energy won't cut it anymore.

The future is still exciting, but much much harder to build a park around.

kjb101791

Futureworld needs a lot of work. It's stuck in the 80s. There is also room to add more countries to the World Showcase, which is the main reason to go to Epcot. Add another country or two and people will go nuts to check it out.

Fox&Hound

Ya, epcot definitely needs some tlc. A lot of things in WDW need tlc honestly, but epcot glaringly needs tlc. Its overall theme is what hinders it. We now live in the future, and the future isn't as exciting to a 2016 kid as it was to a 1982 kid. Epcot suffers from an identity crisis, and hopefully they can figure out something to do with it soon.

I completely agree- well-said. It definitely is suffering from an identity crises and until they figure out which direction to go in, it will continue to suffer. They need to find a way to create a cohesive theme (for future world and world showcase) that also allows them the opportunity to capitalize on IP's or new ideas. I'd rather them pull the plug and go in one decisive direction than continue to tread water.

the-reason14

It's not just the Future World side of things. World Showcase is also kind of stale. No new countries since, what, 1988? Same with rides (wait, they're getting Frozen which doesn't fit and is a retread!). They even have stuff that they planned to put in as part of the opening of Epcot that they didn't because of the budget cuts. The idea is already there, all they'd have to do is build it (Rhine River in Germany; I think there was something similar with the Thames for the UK.). Except for Canada, have any of the films been updated?

The problem with Epcot is that it's stale, all the way through. Tron Track was the latest update.

This is very true. I think Epcot and mgm are the two worse parks when it comes to identity. They're both struggling with what they want to be. Mgm is getting it's big re haul, but even with star wars and toy story land, it still doesn't establish the overall theme of the park. So it's not a studious theme anymore, so what will it be? And epcot's future world is anything but. So much is closing down, it's really sad. The only reason I thoroughly enjoyed epcot last time I was in the world, was because it was the first time I drank around the world. And we also ate at that Italian restuarant, but other then that it's in sad shape.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
15400302765_89d330bcd9_b.jpg

Ralphlaw

To what are you referring?

The old Spaceship Earth ended with people talking to each other via webcam, including a Mom singing a lullaby to her kids from some distant place. I remember before they redid it, people said webcams were passé, and it was about time they got rid of them. Then, of course, Skype and other facetimey tech took off.

danyoung56

Ahhh. Yes, now I know what you're talking about. I thought you were saying that there were webcams in the vehicles, which of course never happened.

Sonconato

Futureworld needs a lot of work. It's stuck in the 80s. There is also room to add more countries to the World Showcase, which is the main reason to go to Epcot. Add another country or two and people will go nuts to check it out.

I agree with you that Future World needs a lot of work, but don't blame it on the 80's. That was during its heyday and EPCOT Center was a totally unique Park that combined fun, entertainment and education…also referred to as Edutainment. That all disappeared when changes occurred in the mid 90's and later. Now, IMO, it's more like any other Amusement Park.

• Spaceship Earth - Opened 1982 - Still a classic and fits with the present except for the end, however, the end should now be part of history.

• Ellen's Energy Adventure - This was an update to the original Universe of Energy and debuted in 1996.

• Mission: Space - Complete replacement of the beloved Horizon's and opened in 2003.

• Test Track - Total renovation of the beloved World of Motion and opened in 1999.

• The Seas with Nemo & Friends - Cartoon overlay/renovation to the original Living Seas and debuted in 2006.

• Living with the Land - Opened 1982 - Still a classic because it's a living/changing presentation. Most could remain the same but could use some updated props and images.

• Soarin' - Addition to Living with the Land and opened in 2005.

• Journey into Imagination with Figment - Second renovation from the original Journey into Imagination and debuted in 2002.

• Innoventions - It's a…Let's not even go there. That replaced CommuniCore around 1994.

I'm not getting the 1980's connection at all except for the two rides that are timeless, Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land. Honestly, I would like it better if it were like it was in the 80's and early 90's. The reason WS doesn't feel "stuck in time" is because it is showcasing historical architecture and traditions of each specific country. The FW rides used to have this as well, bringing you through time and then presenting you with dreams of the future. I don't get that from TT, MS and Soarin', which makes it feel dated. The whole idea behind EPCOT Center simply vanished.

Brad Bishop

The reason WS doesn't feel "stuck in time" is because it is showcasing historical architecture and traditions of each specific country. The FW rides used to have this as well, bringing you through time and then presenting you with dreams of the future. I don't get that from TT, MS and Soarin', which makes it feel dated. The whole idea behind EPCOT Center simply vanished.

Really well said. I feel like I'm learning something in Living with the Land or Spaceship Earth. Not so much in Tron Track or Mission: Space.

To me, Living with the Land is just about the perfect pavilion. You go inside, there's a ride, but there's more. It's not just a ride (like TT or M:S).

I will give M:S one thing: It's like a REALLY well done version of Mission to the Moon/Mars.

As a side note to M:S, does anyone else find it weird:
- That you buzz the ISS?
- That as you approach Mars you're aiming dead-center and then told to engage the thrusters (accelerate to the dead center)

blueboxdoctor

It's Future World that is in a mess more than anything. Here's an abridged version of why Future World is a mess. Ellen's Energy thing is a waste. Yes, it may have some faithful fans, but I barely see anybody ever go in there. Wonders of Life is sort of tucked away but it's still depressing. Innoventions needs to be innovative, maybe get sponsors like Sony, Apple, Microsoft, etc... to come in and show off their newest tech or concept tech (maybe show how an iPad can be used for more than just Candy Crush). The whole Figment thing is a joke. Again, it may have some weird following, but it's very empty all the time. I think Captain EO is on its way out so that's good. There's so much potential, but it feels so empty and abandoned in parts that it gets sort of depressing.

As for the World Showcase, I'm still a big fan of it. It's actually one of my favorite parts of WDW.

kjb101791

I agree with you that Future World needs a lot of work, but don't blame it on the 80's. That was during its heyday and EPCOT Center was a totally unique Park that combined fun, entertainment and education…also referred to as Edutainment. That all disappeared when changes occurred in the mid 90's and later. Now, IMO, it's more like any other Amusement Park.

• Spaceship Earth - Opened 1982 - Still a classic and fits with the present except for the end, however, the end should now be part of history.

• Ellen's Energy Adventure - This was an update to the original Universe of Energy and debuted in 1996.

• Mission: Space - Complete replacement of the beloved Horizon's and opened in 2003.

• Test Track - Total renovation of the beloved World of Motion and opened in 1999.

• The Seas with Nemo & Friends - Cartoon overlay/renovation to the original Living Seas and debuted in 2006.

• Living with the Land - Opened 1982 - Still a classic because it's a living/changing presentation. Most could remain the same but could use some updated props and images.

• Soarin' - Addition to Living with the Land and opened in 2005.

• Journey into Imagination with Figment - Second renovation from the original Journey into Imagination and debuted in 2002.

• Innoventions - It's a…Let's not even go there. That replaced CommuniCore around 1994.

I'm not getting the 1980's connection at all except for the two rides that are timeless, Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land. Honestly, I would like it better if it were like it was in the 80's and early 90's. The reason WS doesn't feel "stuck in time" is because it is showcasing historical architecture and traditions of each specific country. The FW rides used to have this as well, bringing you through time and then presenting you with dreams of the future. I don't get that from TT, MS and Soarin', which makes it feel dated. The whole idea behind EPCOT Center simply vanished.
Alright, maybe not 80's, but the majority of it seems dated. Or at least not living up to its potential as far as being on the cutting edge. I'm talking to you, Innoventions.

World_Showcase_Lover007

BALONEY!

-Leave a Legacy is a nice, unique entrance.

-Future World is JUST FINE. I don't care if it's outdated.

-The current Journey Into Imagination is FAR better than the 1980's version.

-Horizons didn't interest me AT ALL. I'll take Mission: Space any day (it's my favorite ride).

-Test Track stays its current theming.

-Abandoned things are cool though!

-NO RIDES IN THE WORLD SHOWCASE. Rides don't make a theme park. One reason why I love Epcot is that it doesn't need rides. I love Gran Fiesta Tour and I'm excited for Frozen Ever After (I didn't care for Maelstrom), but no more rides!

This is the most baloney comment I've seen on WDWmagic.com

Said no one ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom