Epcot lasers question?

tomc

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hello can anyone tell me what milliwatts (mw) the lasers are at Epcot used in the Illumination show?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I'm thinking the Epcot lasers' power is measured in watts, not milliwatts. 25 milliwatts is nothing for something on a large scale.

Tim G

tomc said:
Hello can anyone tell me what milliwatts (mw) the lasers are at Epcot used in the Illumination show?
I wouldn't know....
What's so important about it... wanna build one yourself?? and Why would you anyway... They're using industrial lasers, but their power??? Dunno

DisneyWales

Watts

It would be measured off watts, Being an American fixture, unless it has a special supply it's going to be a max of 110/120w.

In the UK we can run most lasers off a domestic 13amp socket (what we have around our houses) these can (don't need to) draw upto 240watts.

Milliwatts and Watts are the same thing just different scales. Kinda like Centimeters and Millimeters.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Also, any laser system that is above ( I believe ) 5mw must be certified by the FDA. Also then you have to apply for and obtain a variance by the FDA.

Then you have to have interlocks, inspections, logbooks, ad naseum...
It's a real pain in the A.

dolbyman

I saw a documentary on TV last week, where some guy made a fireworks show for an arabian prince ... he used lasers that could light a cigarette (at the origin gizzmo)

they said smth about a power consumption in regions of several kW :drevil: ( we'll call that thing "LASER" *drevilstyle* )

tomc

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Oh no i dont want to make one i am just very interested in the lasers at Epcot. They fasinated me when i went in May.

DisJosh

Were the lasers not in use at any point this year? I don't re-call seeing them during Illuminations when I was there in September. :veryconfu

peter11435

DisJosh said:
Were the lasers not in use at any point this year? I don't re-call seeing them during Illuminations when I was there in September. :veryconfu
They have been used every night AFAIK. However they are not used as extensively in ROE as in past shows.

I dont think the country that the lasers are being used in has any bearing on the wattage of the laser. And I believe I read somewhere that the ones used in EPCOT were rated at 25W, could be wrong though. This is a question for Boo.

DisneyWales

I Know

UltimtMickeyFan said:
I dont think the country that the lasers are being used in has any bearing on the wattage of the laser. And I believe I read somewhere that the ones used in EPCOT were rated at 25W, could be wrong though. This is a question for Boo.

I Know that i was just basically saying it could be anything between 1w and 120w, not much help but hey.
:veryconfu

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
UltimtMickeyFan said:

Its in this ball park, from memory I have the figure between 25 and 30. I need to check in my notes though to confirm.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DisneyWales said:
Just to put this in perspective my laptop runs off 45w.

What does laser power have to do with your laptop? I dont think the two are comparible are they?

DisneyWales

wdwmagic said:
What does laser power have to do with your laptop? I dont think the two are comparible are they?

Im just saying my laptop drawn 45w of power to run. Ive been looking around the internet and all the laser fixtures I can find seem to run of 40w. Thats for the whole system however control system and software.

Im just trying to help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom