EPCOT highlights 10/19:

JoeZerboy

Hello All...

Was down in Orlando over the weekend and went to EPCOT while I was down. Here are a few highlights...

**Some Disney Parking CMs are using the Seqways to get about and help direct traffic. Also being used in Future World outside of Innoventions.

**After 20 years, I still get goosebumps hearing the music in the park entry area around the ticket booths. Still not sure about whether or not I like the look of Leave a Legacy. I miss the lucite pillar thing that was on the fountain in front of Spaceship Earth as you enter the park.

**Imagination is cute and better than the version that was around on my last trip to EPCOT [March 2001]. But, it still doesn't match the original with Dreamfinder and Figment V1.0. Cute finale scene...but the static figurines didn't seem as whimsical as the video scene display on the original.

**At 12:45, Test Track had an hour wait with Fast Pass still available for 6p-7p. Grabbed a Fast Pass and explored a bit more [see below]. At about 4-ish, my round of exploring over, I headed back to TT and jumped into the Single Rider line. Sorry guys, but Test Track left me a bit UNDERWHELMED. First point on this is I was seated in the back row -- not enough leg room for a 6' tall person: knees kept banging the front row. Second point is that with traversing Atlanta roadways, I drive faster and in more challenging conditions than these tests. For some reason, I could not find the WOW factor that everyone else seems to get on this one.

On a side note: I still have my unused Fast Pass for Test Track. Should anyone wish to add it to their collection, please PM me - first one to PM gets it - no charge.

*****EDIT [10/23/02]: The Fast Pass for Test Track is no longer available. It has been claimed and in the mail to the lucky first PMer.**********

**Stopped in at Living Seas...just not the same anymore with the Sea Cabs closed down. Having that part gave a nice leisurely intro to the exhibit. Without it, now it just feels like a glorified aquarium. Poor ole thing...

**Never noticed these before, but the landscaping to include little butterfly gardens dotted all over the park in both Futureworld and World Showcase.

**Took lunch in Morocco at the Tangerine Cafe. Highly recommend, especially for lamb dish lovers. Roasted lamb was yummy.

**Visited the Grand Dame of the park, Spaceship Earth. Not too keen about the video screens at the beginning - no real benefit to them besides cutting out some voice over dialog and ride effects. Jeremy Irons is a likable replacement for Walter Cronkite - yet there are still volume problems on the speakers with it going in and out. Omnimover track squeak noise seems to have been reduced quite a bit, but there are still the usual track noises. Too bad they aren't able to get it down as quiet as the HM's track. In the finale scene, I miss the satellite and astronauts - but I did notice that the starfield moves across the ceiling like in a planetarium during a showing on the night skies. And, like others, I despise the VOICE at the end just before disembarking the ride. I realize that the attraction [still w/AT&T stamped all over it] is about communication, but why employ a high pitched, grating yet overly perky voice? Honestly, if I wanted my ear drums popped that badly, I'd use red hot knitting needles.

**Also poked my head in at Ice Station Cool. I did not go anywhere near the dispenser for Beverly after seeing a few faces of those who did try it. Found the ginger ale one to be one of the better samples.

**Ended my day with taking the monorail out and back in so I could get a higher vantage point for Mission: Space. The building looks WAY pretty...am hoping that the attraction that it will house can match.

Joe

SpongeScott

nice observations, thanks for the report. I too sometimes wonder what the fascination is about TT. I enjoy the ride, but it's not something that I'm rushing to do when I get to EPCOT. One word sums TT up: hype.

Upvote 0

WDWspider

I have never thought Test Track was a major thrill ride, but it is the best new thing to hit EPCOT, so with that being said...

Bring on Mission:Space.

Beverly is not worth a try trust me!

I love the way you presented your observations.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Originally posted by sandjhooker
nice observations, thanks for the report. I too sometimes wonder what the fascination is about TT. I enjoy the ride, but it's not something that I'm rushing to do when I get to EPCOT. One word sums TT up: hype.

Thanks for reading! And I agree on that. I guess Disney Officials wanted to come out as being innovative by hyping this new attraction after removing Horizons and gutting World of Motion.

Having been going to EPCOT semi-regularly since the year it opened [when I was a sophomore in high school], I have fairly accurate memories of the attractions and think that WoM had the right mix of whimsy and fact to be an educating experience.

TT on the other hand left others, to my observations, with a sense of "That's all?" I guess, like me, they were expecting something bigger and more exhilarating.

Joe

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Originally posted by donaldduck1967
i agree on TT. It just doesny grab you like space,splash mts. or RNRC. IF you d TT once after that its kinda blah

I can definitely see where it would be "blah" in comparison. Keep in mind, I'm not picking on those that do like Test Track. I just saw the ads hyping and focusing on the "thrills" aspect of this attraction and it didn't deliver on that in my opinion...

Joe

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Originally posted by Niacin
Some friends of mine and I refer to Test Track as "No One I Know Has A Convertible".

Max

Max: Would that be because no one you know wants a convertible? Or that some of you want one, but not for everyday driving? LOL

Joe [former Geo Tracker soft top owner]

Upvote 0

Disneywarrior

I have never been a big fan of TT. I ride it, but it does not thrill me. I have been in line several times only to be disappointed by a shut down. I liked WoM much better!

Upvote 0

orangefan15

TT doesn't live up the hype...hell, I drive faster than that on the highway. I remember getting off after my first ride on it and thinking "How stupid was that?"

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

but isn't the point of TT to "simulate" or educate you on what an actual test track is like and to show you what they put a car through before it hits the showroom? Surely they knew that everyone has driven faster than 64.8 mph.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by sandjhooker
but isn't the point of TT to "simulate" or educate you on what an actual test track is like and to show you what they put a car through before it hits the showroom? Surely they knew that everyone has driven faster than 64.8 mph.

Great Point! Hell, I have driven 110+ mph , on Toll roads up north...
...You want speed?... Go do the Richard Petty Driving Experience...not TT... ;) :)

Thanks, Joe, for the Epcot update...! I miss the lucite pillar with the old EPCOT logo in the fountain, to. Last month...when I was leaving the Park at about 10pm...(it closed at 9...but I stuck around to take loads of pictures) There was ..I guess a manager type guy..wearing a suit.. crusing around the park on a segway...I thought that was neat :)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Well guys - I'd just like to point out that when I've been to WDW, TT has ALWAYS got a long line. You're not telling me that these people would rather be out driving on the freeways ?
There's alot of people enjoy it and everyones entitled to an opinion - mine - I think its great (when it works)

PS - thanks for the trip report.

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

Originally posted by JoeZerboy

... but Test Track left me a bit UNDERWHELMED. First point on this is I was seated in the back row -- not enough leg room for a 6' tall person: knees kept banging the front row. Second point is that with traversing Atlanta roadways, I drive faster and in more challenging conditions than these tests.

**Also poked my head in at Ice Station Cool. I did not go anywhere near the dispenser for Beverly after seeing a few faces of those who did try it. Found the ginger ale one to be one of the better samples.

Now I understand why I didn't think Test Trackwas so appealing. I drave carzier and faster in Atlanta traffic too!

How did you not know what Beverly is??? It's featureted at the Wolrd of Coke. Anytime we have out of town relatives come in, we take them there, and make them try it. It's the most disgusting drink I've ever had!

Upvote 0

Nineinchnailsmk

i kinda liked beverly...

anyway, kinda drifting the thread, i liked the ice station cool, and i loved test track. we walked onto it. has test track lost its appeal, or is attendance just low?

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Re: Re: EPCOT highlights 10/19:

Originally posted by kosherkid411
Now I understand why I didn't think Test Trackwas so appealing. I drave carzier and faster in Atlanta traffic too!

How did you not know what Beverly is??? It's featureted at the Wolrd of Coke. Anytime we have out of town relatives come in, we take them there, and make them try it. It's the most disgusting drink I've ever had!

I've never been to World of Coke. Never really have had the urge to go there yet.

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Originally posted by Nineinchnailsmk
i kinda liked beverly...

anyway, kinda drifting the thread, i liked the ice station cool, and i loved test track. we walked onto it. has test track lost its appeal, or is attendance just low?

Attendance was fairly good when I was there this past Saturday, thanks in part to the Wine & Food festival starting that same day. As far as TT lines go, you may have just been there on an off day...

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Re: EPCOT highlights 10/19:

Originally posted by bearboysnc
WHAT? Thats about the only thing to DO in Atlanta.:slurp:

I would say something rude, crass and utterly debase myself and my tastes in fun...but I'll just hint that I think there are better things to do here when I am around. :drevil:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom