Epcot getting new main entrance gates

pixel-dust

Bfk

We purchased a few Japanese cooking 'BFK' and they had to be sent to package pick up. Almost forgot them too!

As we normally walk in from the parking lot, how will these new gates affect us? We have to cross the tram routes now and then curve toward the tram stop.

Rob562

We purchased a few Japanese cooking 'BFK' and they had to be sent to package pick up. Almost forgot them too!

As we normally walk in from the parking lot, how will these new gates affect us? We have to cross the tram routes now and then curve toward the tram stop.

Walking in from the parking lot and under the monorail station will funnel you directly to where the new baggage check is. Guests coming down the ramp from the monorail or let off from the tram will be let off in this area, too. The only change would be if you're walking in from the Kennel side of the parking lot, over where the DDE parking is. In those instances, you have to walk along this new fence to where the monorail station is.
Part of the problem with the Guest flow, as others have pointed out, is that this fence now puts the *entrance* ramp to the monorail inside the Bag Check area. This forces anyone who spends their day by parking at Epcot, immediately monorailing to the MK, and then finishing the day at Epcot to go through *three* bag checks (Epcot, MK, Epcot again), when before it would just be two.

I have a question, though, about how Bag Check operates now. I didn't pay enough attention during my trip back in June to how things were flowing with this new setup. A few years ago, they had a central bag check during the morning hours, when arrivals were at their peak. Then later in the day, they moved back to checking bags at each turnstile because the crowds had eased up. Does this still happen?

If you look at these new fences, there are obviously gates built into them. Do you think they'll continue to follow the same practice of central bag check during the day, and then opening these built-in gates up and moving bag check to the turnstiles? Similar to how they take out the seatbelt-fences at the end of the night. When exiting, I know I walked out past the Kennel in June, and the retractible seatbelt fences had been put away. They were just the poles. I don't think they'd force the post-Illuminations crowd entirely through one small, central area of the fence...

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The gatess and current ropes (which seem to be the guide for the new gates - thus why they were rearranged recently) enclose the eastern potties but not the kennel. They do not enclose the west potties.

There are 2 entrance to Epcot in the setup. The ones under the monorail station allow guests coming from the western-most parking lots, buses, and the monorail to enter.

The east side has the old security covers from the turnstiles transplanted, it's just on the other side of the entrance ramp. Even if they've moved to parking the west lots, atleast 1 security person is there letting folks come and go. During peak periods, this is actually the formal parking tram unload area.

Over by the west potties, there is also a guard letting people goto the buses (and potties), but not enter.

True Knowledge

Speaking of the monorail, I typically exit on the entrance side, this not only saves me that long walk, but also I can beat the rush, and even bypass security completely sometimes when it's set up with the one big one(central setup).

brkgnews

Speaking of the monorail, I typically exit on the entrance side, this not only saves me that long walk, but also I can beat the rush, and even bypass security completely sometimes when it's set up with the one big one(central setup).
I'm surprised you haven't been nabbed by any of the undercover guys who hang around watching for people to sneak around the checkpoints. That'd get you a nice trip back out.

bladerunner

The only change would be if you're walking in from the Kennel side of the parking lot, over where the DDE parking is. In those instances, you have to walk along this new fence to where the monorail station is.

-Rob

I'm glad they fixed this. I've made several complaints to the guards earlier this year that I had seen some people with bags coming from the Kennel side bypassing the security check.

True Knowledge

I'm surprised you haven't been nabbed by any of the undercover guys who hang around watching for people to sneak around the checkpoints. That'd get you a nice trip back out.
When I pull that I don't have any purses/bags on me. Plus, I've never noticed any lone guys hanging back at the concourse, I'd only assume that undercover security hangs around the main gate looking for people trying to sneak in, as there more concerned with that then there faux security set-up, but I'm no expert.

kucarachi

Mexican Border

They need to make the main gate in mexico so that you dont have to walk 2 miles to the world showcase every time....or at least put a third gate since the one in france is pretty worthless unless you drive all the way down to the boardwalk or MGM. There is plenty of room over there and the trams at Epcot seem to never be running, so it would be a good excuse to start them up back there! I know i am sounding lazy but to anyone that has ever done the whole park in one day it just seems with all their smart imagineers and engineers they could solve this mammoth parks biggest problem.....still think the double decker bus could serve as a tram type ride throughout the day if they built a backlot behind the showcase with a senic market place theme to it

Rob562

They need to make the main gate in mexico so that you dont have to walk 2 miles to the world showcase every time....or at least put a third gate since the one in france is pretty worthless unless you drive all the way down to the boardwalk or MGM. There is plenty of room over there and the trams at Epcot seem to never be running, so it would be a good excuse to start them up back there!

Sounds like a great idea!
And it'll be a piece of cake removing all those unimportant things back there, like the cast parking lot, costuming, break areas, cafeteria, offices... ;)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom