Epcot creates new World Showcase greeting areas for characters

TURKEY

Original Poster
Date: 01/07/2003

Themed indoor locations are giving Epcot guests reliable, colorful ways to meet Disney characters in World Showcase.
"The concept for these locations uses a 'library' theme to introduce and tie-in Disney characters' stories to their countries of origin," said Darlene Neudecker, team leader at Epcot Entertainment. "The concept was first tested at Morocco with Aladdin characters in 2001. Guests enjoyed it so much, we've expanded the concept into other World Showcase countries."

The library locations use props, art and design concepts that blend the particular film's storyline with the pavilion's architecture and cultural influences.

The Aladdin characters, for example, appear in a room across from Restaurant Marrakesh. Carpets, palm trees and a painted backdrop of the city of Agrabah are part of that location's decor.

Characters from Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame appear in a small library at Plume et Palette in France. The location includes stained glass windows depicting the Beast's castle and a rose, similar to the stained glass window used to set up the story in the film Beauty and the Beast.

Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh characters appear in a bright, colorfully painted room at The Crown & Crest at the United Kingdom.

"Indoor locations provide scenic, climate-controlled areas for our guests to meet and photograph their favorite storybook characters," Darlene said. "We can have continuous character coverage at all our indoor locations."

Leaders are discussing plans for other indoor locations around World Showcase.

From Eyes & Ears

Yellow Shoes

Let's hurry up then and get Mulan in China.

This is a great idea to expand. The Aladdin area is really well done.

This is what we expect from Disney.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
actually... Mulan is already in China. Since it's just her though, she does her meetings outside

MKCustodial

This is something that should have been pursued before, since Disney has always taken its characters from the different cultures.

Grumpy56

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
This could be pretty cool for the kids and give them a new reason to wanna come to Epcot.

I agree. My kids have always liked Epcot, but some I know are lukewarm on WS. This is a terrific way to add to the appeal of the WS for the WHOLE famliy. Last year when we were there we just happened upon the Alladin area, there was hardly anyone in there and my kids 9 and 12 just LOVED it. They had there photos taken and chatted with Alladin. It really added to our enjoyment of the day. I can't wait to look for the others when we go in 3 weeks.

wed050499

Originally posted by MKCustodial
This is something that should have been pursued before, since Disney has always taken its characters from the different cultures.

Hey mkcustodial,

If you look at some of the older vacation planning videos for wdw, during their sections on epcot, they point out and show some shots that they had tried something like this before. I think now that they have sets for the characters and such, it will be a bit bigger draw.

Brian

BRER STITCH

They were doing this during the first week of December when I was there.
It was GREAT, however, there were no signs marking the locations. Each time I just stumbled upon them while roaming through the WS shops. At the time, I thought it might have been just for the Holidays....

One downfall though...The areas the characters are "confined" to are pretty small. Especially the poor Beast in that room in that tiny room in France!

Naturally, people wanted to line up and see the characters, but there was no area for everyone to stand and see them. Also, at the time, it seemed to me that if you weren't there to get a (paid)picture taken with them, you were not allowed in the rooms they were in and hadto settleforlooking through the windows or doorway. Hopefully this was just a wrong impression, and not the reason for the meet-n-greets.....

All in all, as the program becomes more publicized, it can only help keep the kids in WS longer! :sohappy:

meeko_33785

I noticed this when I was in EPCOT last month. The new locations look very nice and more well themed than some attractions in Future World. Also, a lot of the KidCot fun stataions (or whatever they're called) are in better themed and indoors. Minnor improvments, but still nice. Definitely a job well done.

Earlier this year my sister and I found Alladin and Jasmin but it took a really long time to find them. We went to the country and it seemed as it was pretty far back in to it. i liked it being far in though b/c i got to look at more of the attraction rather than just walking by and maybe going on the rides.

Imagineer Jer

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Date: 01/07/2003

Themed indoor locations are giving Epcot guests reliable, colorful ways to meet Disney characters in World Showcase.
"The concept for these locations uses a 'library' theme to introduce and tie-in Disney characters' stories to their countries of origin," said Darlene Neudecker, team leader at Epcot Entertainment. "The concept was first tested at Morocco with Aladdin characters in 2001. Guests enjoyed it so much, we've expanded the concept into other World Showcase countries."

The library locations use props, art and design concepts that blend the particular film's storyline with the pavilion's architecture and cultural influences.

The Aladdin characters, for example, appear in a room across from Restaurant Marrakesh. Carpets, palm trees and a painted backdrop of the city of Agrabah are part of that location's decor.

Characters from Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame appear in a small library at Plume et Palette in France. The location includes stained glass windows depicting the Beast's castle and a rose, similar to the stained glass window used to set up the story in the film Beauty and the Beast.

Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh characters appear in a bright, colorfully painted room at The Crown & Crest at the United Kingdom.

"Indoor locations provide scenic, climate-controlled areas for our guests to meet and photograph their favorite storybook characters," Darlene said. "We can have continuous character coverage at all our indoor locations."

Leaders are discussing plans for other indoor locations around World Showcase.

From Eyes & Ears

Hey!
Cool! Thank you for the information about the new place for the characters. I always like meeting with the characters! lol

tiggergal1012

I know that Pooh and his friends are confined to a small space and at night that space seems really dark. Mary Poppins is on the other side of the room and it is really dark no matter what time of the day it is. At least Tigger, Pooh, and Eeyore have some sunlight on them during the daytime hours. That is how it seemed when I was there the week before Christmas :xmas:.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom