EPCOT Changes

graphite1326

Original Poster
At first I was upset at all the changes going on at EPCOT. Like a lot of us die hard Disney fanatics. I always thought it was just the amount of "education and fun" that it could be enjoyed mostly by adults but kids would not be bored. UoE was a good example, even though it wasn't very popular toward the end, it mixed that "education and fun" aspect. Does anyone know if the current changes are going away from the education part and leaning more toward a fun theme park? Is GotG going to be a thrill ride and nothing more?

However, all this being said, I have decided to keep an open mind. I have to admit EPCOT had become a little stale and there needed to be some changes.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Wether Edutainment ever rears its ugly head again remains to be seen. What we do know is that its previous incarnation has shown its limitations as it became irrelevant and too expensive to maintain with the rate of change in technology. I see greater potential in the Moana themed "Journey of Water" that most of what was in the so-called "Innovations" (Aka vendor trade show demos).

TXDisney

I think the construction will suck for awhile. But that's just how things go. People always want new things and part of that is construction. So I'm ok with t for a couple years. The couple things that I wish were clarified are what exactly is the Mary Poppins attraction? A ride, a meet and greet, a show, etc. No one really knows yet. Also they never announced a new country in WS. And apparently there's been permits to build in between a pavilion and is rumored to be Brazil. That wasn't announced. So wondering what's up with that as well.

SteveBrickNJ

I think the construction will suck for awhile. But that's just how things go. People always want new things and part of that is construction. So I'm ok with t for a couple years. The couple things that I wish were clarified are what exactly is the Mary Poppins attraction? A ride, a meet and greet, a show, etc. No one really knows yet. Also they never announced a new country in WS. And apparently there's been permits to build in between a pavilion and is rumored to be Brazil. That wasn't announced. So wondering what's up with that as well.
So a lot of uncertain future stuff.
Yet, forgive my ignorance, but would someone share with me what IS certain to be the future new attractions or new features in Epcot?

NickMaio

Rumor has it - The Guardian coaster will have some educational aspects sprinkled into it. Dealing with history, not sure if this will hapen or not.
I really enjoyed the educational aspect of Ol' Epcot. Perhaps that is why I became a teacher???
Body Wars-Cranium Command-Horizons-World of Motion - - - I would ride again and again, back to back. Up until they were gone :(
Ya - I miss the old Epcot.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've been nothing but excited for EPCOT's changes.
The EPCOT of my childhood is long gone anyways and what I believe they are trying to do is restore the best parts of EPCOT from 30 years ago but with a 21st century perspective and I believe they are trying to make it at least a bit more like Walt's vision. Sure its not a real city with people living in it its still a theme park but they are at least trying to bring a "community" feel to the park.

Joesixtoe

One thing about science is true, it's always changing. Epcot as well should change with the times. I wish I was old enough to appreciate what Epcot of old was, but youth took hold of me, care of another teaching lesson, and slow moving rides flew by. How I admire theme and art now and would have loved Epcot of then.

Cmdr_Crimson

I am not sure I understand. Did you want to keep Ellen?

No..It's because it's a line in the show as it references The Big Bang....And which is why I mentioned it...

BILL NYE
Uh, yeah. Ah, see that single point of very hot, very dense matter? It contains all the energy of the universe. And it’s about to expand at an astonishing rate! Oh, here, better put these on. Hearing protectors… ’cause, it’s the Big Bang!

DREAM ELLEN
The piggy bank?

BILL NYE
No, the Big Bang.

DREAM ELLEN
The ding dang?

BILL NYE
The Big Bang!

DREAM ELLEN
Oh…

Last edited:

graphite1326

Original Poster
No..It's because it's a line in the show as it references The Big Bang....And which is why I mentioned it...

BILL NYE
Uh, yeah. Ah, see that single point of very hot, very dense matter? It contains all the energy of the universe. And it’s about to expand at an astonishing rate! Oh, here, better put these on. Hearing protectors… ’cause, it’s the Big Bang!

DREAM ELLEN
The piggy bank?

BILL NYE
No, the Big Bang.

DREAM ELLEN
The ding dang?

BILL NYE
The Big Bang!

DREAM ELLEN
Oh…
LOL yeah I forgot all ready. Although I could never understand her when she said Piggy Bank. I always wondered. Hard of hearing. Playing 10 years in rock band will do that to you.

nickys

Premium Member
So a lot of uncertain future stuff.
Yet, forgive my ignorance, but would someone share with me what IS certain to be the future new attractions or new features in Epcot?

Very brief summary:
GotG and Ratatouille are under construction now.
U.K. pavilion is getting a Mary Poppins “attraction”, as yet not explained.
SSE is getting a big refurb.
Innoventions West is coming down; a new architectural festival building is being built to it’s south. New fountains north and south of SSE. A walk through water “feature” with a Moana theme from current Innoventions West through to the Seas. Statue of Walt.
Innoventions East will be food, drink and stores.
New Canada and China movies.
BatB singalong to alternate with Impressions de France.
Space 220 restaurant.
WoL becomes a Play Zone.
Odessey has an exhibition of planned changes.
Entrance redo.
New show sometime next year replaces Epcot Forever.

SteveBrickNJ

Very brief summary:
GotG and Ratatouille are under construction now.
U.K. pavilion is getting a Mary Poppins “attraction”, as yet not explained.
SSE is getting a big refurb.
Innoventions West is coming down; a new architectural festival building is being built to it’s south. New fountains north and south of SSE. A walk through water “feature” with a Moana theme from current Innoventions West through to the Seas. Statue of Walt.
Innoventions East will be food, drink and stores.
New Canada and China movies.
BatB singalong to alternate with Impressions de France.
Space 220 restaurant.
WoL becomes a Play Zone.
Odessey has an exhibition of planned changes.
Entrance redo.
New show sometime next year replaces Epcot Forever.
Thank you!😊 That is very helpful!
Yet....What does your abbreviation "BatB" represent?

Last edited:

World_Showcase_Lover007

None of us really like change, but we all know it happens, over time.

But the point is that we would probably be willing to accept change if the people in charge gave one iota, or morsel of care about the parks. But they do not care.

Therefore the thought of change is frightening. Once you go around knocking original buildings down, they aren’t coming back. There is no, “hmm guess we really shouldn’t have done away with such and such pavilion” and it all still working out ok. Exhibit A: Horizons (although it wasn’t an opening day attraction).

Epcot needed some fresh re-imagining, but not with Iger and Chapek at the helm. It’s gonna be merch, “shade” and whatever else they throw together at the last minute bc they really don’t know yet, and don’t care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom