EPCOT 2032

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
EPCOT Center is dead.

It took a very, very long time for me to come to grips with that statement. I never wanted to believe it. But Horizons isn't coming back, World of Motion isn't coming back, and the Imagination pavilion isn't going to be restored to its once former glory.

So what then next?

I have made it a personal mission to fully create and realize (at least mentally and emotionally) a "what could be" for the world's greatest, most daring, and most unique theme park, and to do so in the context of what actually could be possible in the real world we exist in.

This will start out with a lot of text and some crude illustrations. I plan on going as far as developing scale models for the entire project, but I don't know how long that might take because I've never built an architectural model before. Let alone an entire theme park! But I'm going to do it if for no other reason than the personal satisfaction of pretending to be an Imagineer.

I hope that you'll get some sort of joy out of this project as well. If you're interested, I have already created a tumblr blog for the project. Just look up "EPCOT 2032."

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
The park known as Epcot is in disarray. It is no longer cohesive or unified in theme. It has become a somewhat random assortment of attractions housed inside a lot of breathtaking architecture. How do we fix this in the real world?

We consolidate.

35493467642_5f6878326b_b.jpg

This is an overview of what Future World will become. Four separate and distinct areas.

Here you can more clearly see how these areas will be divided up.

34863460993_aeebba5f0e_b.jpg

Yes, there is a designated Marvel area. Don't worry. I won't let you down. More on this later.

You'll notice that Test Track is now the focal point of its own automotive based area, AutoMotion Alley. This area will include Test Track in its current form, as well as a new attraction, an indoor, all electric, futuristic version of Autopia. Only this version will allow drivers to take a number of different routes through the attraction, meaning that certain portions of the ride may only be experienced by selecting specific routes.

There is also a small area in the southern portion of what we know as Future World called Center Street. This will be the primary retail and dining area of the park.

But I know what you really care about....

34818650964_e35c5cccb2.jpg

EPCOT 2032's Discovery Center will take on the role of what we currently think of when we talk about Future World. There are a number of advantages to this.

First of all, we are compartmentalizing the concept of Future World into an area that, while smaller, can also reach its maximum potential. By limiting the number of "classic EPCOT Center" type pavilions/attractions to half the current lineup, we are performing a bit of addition by subtraction.

Secondly, and to expand more on the first point, we reduce the risk of any particular portion of this area becoming stale, outdated, or feeling disjointed from the rest. Additionally, more effort can and will be put into properly maintaining these pavilions.

Our full pavilion list will be:
35503935422_8bf7fbdda9_k.jpg

Spaceship Earth
35285865250_4192a491ca_k.jpg

The Seas
35633103306_3050309def_b.jpg

The Land
34831844124_d6a23707d5_k.jpg
[/url]
Imagination
34850627553_9e6dc40667_k.jpg
[/url]
The World Beneath Us (borrowing a title from an old Tomorrowland attraction).

You'll notice a new water feature connecting The Land pavilion with The Seas pavilion. (I had a similar idea to connect the Volcanism pavilion to the Energy pavilion with a lava stream had the volcano ride been placed where Wonders of Life once existed).

The stream of water will actually be mostly enclosed under a translucent surface so it may serve as part of the walkway.

In the upcoming days/weeks, I will provide a thorough guide of each pavilion in the Discovery Center, and eventually the entirety of EPCOT 2032.

I do have one ready to show though. Put on your imagination caps.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
Imagination track layout:

35659791975_e34659985d_b.jpg

Eventually, I will create visuals for every single scene. (I have them storyboarded on paper, and I will post those if anyone is interested).
For now I have this overhead view. (Note that certain details are rather difficult for me to show in this view because they would appear as nothing more than random lines).

My aim was to make this ride feel like the original Journey Into Imagination combined with a little bit of It's a Small World and then bitten by a radioactive Mr. Toad's Wild Ride spider and now we have this. The only limitations I gave myself, again to keep it in the realm of reality, was building the ride in the existing building on what remains of the existing track. But this is no ordinary refurbishment!

On with the show!

Upon first entering, guests are welcomed into the Hall of Imagination. Here, real and fictional inventors, thinkers, and dreamers are honored. Progressing further into the building, we enter the Dreamport. Here we find Dreamfinder’s personal collection of treasures and relics, among them are old props from the original version of the ride.

After boarding a slightly modified Omnimover-type vehicle, guests find themselves traversing the Imagination Superhighway, a tunnel of lights, sounds, and scents. In the distance, we hear the familiar song “Imagination.”

Reaching the end of the tunnel, we encounter Dreamfinder himself. Next to him is a giant lever attached to a carnival style game wheel. Mischievously gripping the lever, he exclaims “Let’s go for a SPIN!” - and as those very words light up against the blackness behind Dreamfinder, we are whisked away into the next room.

That room is a miniature version of the infinity theater from the original Universe of Energy. And as we enter the circular room, the individual ride vehicles spin slowly around. All sorts of imagery is projected around us; people and places, both real and imaginary, wildlife, planets and galaxies, storms, numbers and letters, etc. as well as an occasional glimpse of Figment.

Exiting the spinning room, we see Dreamfinder sitting behind his idea organ, which also has a large screen that is constantly changing. Figment shows up on the screen from time to time. The organ itself seems to be alive, with eyes and a vague mouth, as well as moving feet. The pipes of the organ act as hair. And out of those pipes come projections of even more ideas; racecars, shooting stars, flocks of birds, etc.

We travel through a small tunnel adorned with marque style lights to find ourselves in the company of Figment himself, as he conducts his Symphony of Color. The Imagination theme song is now filling the room. Figment wields a magic wand, and from it spouts a brilliant rainbow. The Rainbow strikes a model sized variation of the pavilion’s own glass pyramids which serve as a prism to spread the light of the rainbow all over the room. Figment’s orchestra includes a wacky assortment of living musical instruments that surround the entire room.

After we leave the orchestra behind, we find ourselves in the company of the Helping Hands. All around us are sets of hands clapping and otherwise gesturing. A large crate sits in the center of the scene rattles as we approach it, and from it comes a comically large boxing glove that seems to strike the ride vehicle. As we make our escape, two large hands and arms sprouting up from either side of the ride track attempt to grab us.

Continuing onward, the scene changes drastically once more, as we now appear to be drifting along a channel or river surrounded by tropical foliage. This is the Island of Imaginary Creatures. Here we find a mix of eclectic inhabitants including hybrid dinosaurs, a creature made entirely of slime, animated foods, a puffy cloud that blows raspberries at guests, and even a winged version of the Lock Ness Monster that rises up from behind the foliage. As we traverse further, we come to realize that the island itself is actually alive! All of the beings are happy, and many whistle along with the theme song.

Rounding another corner, the foliage becomes much fuller and dense. We are now in Figment’s Fantastical Forest. All around us is lush greenery, and within it are a number of living trees, shrubs, and even limbs and stumps that have taken on a humanlike quality.

Continuing forward, the forest gives way to total darkness before we find ourselves surrounded by glistening stars and a giant planet. Dreamfinder and Figment can be seen floating above the planet in their spacesuits. Clouds whirl and swirl around the planet, and our ride vehicles are ever so slightly drawn toward it as we make our way through the room. Dreamfinder’s voice reverberates in the background, slowly getting louder, as he asks “And what about science?!”

The blanket of space gives way to a sleek, monochromatic laboratory. Beakers of various sizes and shapes hold different colored liquids and spout bellowing plumes of smoke. A computer screen can be seen performing an infinite mathematical calculation. A robotic creature similar to the Curiosity Rover waves at us before taking our picture.

Exiting the lab, we are once again engulfed in darkness. There is a sudden gust of wind. Brief flashes of light reveal that we are surrounded by tornadoes! Our ride vehicles once again start to spin. Behind the tornadoes are now similar, but faster and more chaotic projections from the first spinning room. This is the Whirlwind of Ideas.

Once the storm has calmed, we are deposited into a square shaped tunnel of deep blue with bright hot pink trim. Dreamfinder’s calming voice reminds us “Remember, nothing is impossible if you use your imagination!”

At the end of the blue tunnel, a black curtain opens to reveal the grand finale. Some of the pandemoneum includes a miniature amusement park complete with roller coaster, ferris wheel, and carousel. Additionally, we find a model ski resort with a gondola lift, and on overhead mobile featuring a verity of airplanes and rockets. In the background is a gigantic smiling sun with rosy cheeks. Scattered throughout the diorama are a few of our friends from earlier in the journey. And soaring high above it all are Dreamfinder and Figment aboard a new version of their universe spanning blimp. The Imagination song rings out in all its wonderous glory as music absolutely fills every part of the room!

Finally, we enter a blueish purple room where Dreamfinder and Fligment bid us farewell, and all around them are neon signs beckoning us to carry onward to the Image Works.

The entry point to the Image Works is marked by a new and improved Rainbow Corridor! Once inside the main area, a collection of high tech hands on exhibits can be found. These will all be callbacks to the original Image Works offerings only updated for today. This is an area that can constantly be redeveloped as new technology becomes available. Additionally, retail options include on ride photo, plush toys featuring characters from the ride, t-shirts, keychains, buttons, and other miscellaneous items.

And with that, we find ourselves back outside the pavilion. Wanna ride again?!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
As stated previously, I am going to create detailed imagery for every scene in Imagination. In the mean time, my primary focus is completing this quick, somewhat detailed tour of the park. So I want to put the finishing touch on the Imagination pavilion's attraction offerings.

We've seen a glimpse of the new dark ride and post show exhibits. But what of the Magic Eye Theater?

To me, the replacement attraction is devastatingly obvious.

29881516091_80a6913ec8_b.jpg

An updated version of Cranium Command featuring the five senses from Inside Out guiding Riley through her day.

The theater is there. The concept is a classic. The theme can be tied together. Figment has even been spotted in the movie. It just works and it is a painfully obvious choice.

The show would be in 3D. There would be a practical set constructed, and the show would mix on screen antics with AAs and special effects inside the theater. Similar to It's Tough To Be A Bug.

I haven't written the script yet, but this is what we're going with.

So, the attraction list for EPCOT 2032's Imagination pavilion includes:
1. Journey Into Imagination
2. The Image Works
3. Cranium Command 2.0 feat. Inside Out

The next pavilion I am going to guide you through is The Seas pavilion!

HMF

The park known as Epcot is in disarray. It is no longer cohesive or unified in theme. It has become a somewhat random assortment of attractions housed inside a lot of breathtaking architecture. How do we fix this in the real world?

We consolidate.

35493467642_5f6878326b_b.jpg

This is an overview of what Future World will become. Four separate and distinct areas.

Here you can more clearly see how these areas will be divided up.

34863460993_aeebba5f0e_b.jpg

Yes, there is a designated Marvel area. Don't worry. I won't let you down. More on this later.

You'll notice that Test Track is now the focal point of its own automotive based area, AutoMotion Alley. This area will include Test Track in its current form, as well as a new attraction, an indoor, all electric, futuristic version of Autopia. Only this version will allow drivers to take a number of different routes through the attraction, meaning that certain portions of the ride may only be experienced by selecting specific routes.

There is also a small area in the southern portion of what we know as Future World called Center Street. This will be the primary retail and dining area of the park.

But I know what you really care about....

34818650964_e35c5cccb2.jpg

EPCOT 2032's Discovery Center will take on the role of what we currently think of when we talk about Future World. There are a number of advantages to this.

First of all, we are compartmentalizing the concept of Future World into an area that, while smaller, can also reach its maximum potential. By limiting the number of "classic EPCOT Center" type pavilions/attractions to half the current lineup, we are performing a bit of addition by subtraction.

Secondly, and to expand more on the first point, we reduce the risk of any particular portion of this area becoming stale, outdated, or feeling disjointed from the rest. Additionally, more effort can and will be put into properly maintaining these pavilions.

Our full pavilion list will be:
35503935422_8bf7fbdda9_k.jpg

Spaceship Earth

The Seas
35633103306_3050309def_b.jpg

The Land
34831844124_d6a23707d5_k.jpg
[/url]
Imagination
34850627553_9e6dc40667_k.jpg
[/url]
The World Beneath Us (borrowing a title from an old Tomorrowland attraction).

You'll notice a new water feature connecting The Land pavilion with The Seas pavilion. (I had a similar idea to connect the Volcanism pavilion to the Energy pavilion with a lava stream had the volcano ride been placed where Wonders of Life once existed).

The stream of water will actually be mostly enclosed under a translucent surface so it may serve as part of the walkway.

In the upcoming days/weeks, I will provide a thorough guide of each pavilion in the Discovery Center, and eventually the entirety of EPCOT 2032.

I do have one ready to show though. Put on your imagination caps.
I like it. at least what you are planning with Future World West. East I have major reservations about.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster

Welcome to The Seas!

The first thing that should be noticeable is the general aesthetic of the pavilion. The focus on Pixar characters has been greatly reduced, with a renewed emphasis on science in their place.

Here is an overview of the pavilion.

35589681871_05d352fa38_b.jpg

The Seacab ride has been completely reworked. Turtle Talk with Crush remains in its same location. There is an expanded observation area with interactive displays. Perhaps most noticeably, the Coral Reef Restaurant is no more. This area will be repurposed as a research facility and will house the first portion of the new "Behind the Seas Tour." Additional expansion space is located in the northwestern portion of the pavilion. This is where the new Viking Voyage boat ride will be built.

Journey to Seabase Alpha:

As you enter the pavilion, the first portion of the queue is dedicated to famous explorers of the ocean and its biology. James Cook, Jacques Cousteau, Charles Darwin, Sylvia Earle, Vagn Ekman, and Mary Oceaneer all have busts paying tribute to them. From there, we enter a narrow, dimly lit tunnel, the sounds of the oceans beckoning us to continue our journey forward. At the end of the tunnel, we come to the final portion of the queue, a large lockout chamber. The Seacabs now come into view; round, translucent, open-top spheres that shall carry us during our journey to Seabase Alpha.

The first scene we come upon is the formation of our planet. Volcanoes erupt spewing lava and steam, meteors fall from the sky, a black haze covers the horizon.

We are then blanketed by a dense fog. Rain cascades down all around us. Lightning flashes and thunder claps.

The cloud cover gives way to a fast flowing river. Early forms of sea-life can be seen just beneath the surface. After crossing the river, we come across a small lake. Forging onward, we realize that we are surrounded by Norse, Greek, and Mayan deities. Ran, the Norse sea goddess of death warns us not to venture forward, for doom awaits us.

Ignoring her pleas, we move on, entering a dark tunnel. A brisk wind swirls around us. The sound of a tidal wave looms closer and closer until it seems to crash directly overhead, and water splashes over our us. Will we survive?!

Finally, the storm calms, and we find ourselves in the midst of a shipwreck. An eerie calm takes over. The sound of a waterfall can be heard in the distance, getting closer and closer. We traverse directly under it, and suddenly, we seem to be in an entirely different world.

All around us are various sea creatures; sponges, anemones, giant eels, and the glowing eyes of something perhaps more ominous. Pressing onward we come across schools of fish, towering ropes of seaweed, and massive crustaceans that pop in and out of hiding places.

Rounding a bend, we are caught completely by surprise as a giant prehistoric shark lunges out at us, narrowly missing our vehicle. Further ahead, a vast whale swims peacefully and enormous jellyfish bob up and down.

A door opens, and we are surrounded by the Seabase Alpha main tank. Sharks, manta rays, and dozens of species of other fish swim by. A sense of relief comes over us, as we have survived our treacherous journey, and may now proceed to observe the animals from a safe distance! (NOTE: Once again, I will eventually create visuals for each of these scenes, but for now, I only have the overview).

Departing from our Seacabs, we have a number of options to further experience the pavilion. On the ground level are a number of smaller viewing areas complete with interactive touch screen displays that offer an endless bounty of information about all the different species to be found in the environment. Additionally, the Turtle Talk with Crush attraction will appeal to kids of all ages. It’s totally sweet!

On the upper level is the Manatee Encounter. EPCOT scientists are here throughout the day to educate guests about manatees and their habitat.

Two additional attractions will be added to the pavilion over the next few years. The first to be available will be the Behind the Seas Tour. Here, guests can get a first hand look at some of the day-to-day operations that take place at the pavilion. We’ll learn what all the animals eat, how much they eat, how the tank is cleaned, why each species was chosen for the environment, and learn all about EPCOT’s wildlife preservation efforts.

The second attraction to be added will be the Viking Voyage. A spiritual successor to Malestrom, guests will board a boat and set sail on a four story dark ride along the North Sea. Featuring multiple lifts and small drops, this attraction will pack a thrill for the entire family!

There will also be no shortage of retail options. Shirts, hats, bags, keychains, pins, and plenty of toys featuring the characters from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory are available.

We hope you have enjoyed your time exploring The Seas. Please visit us again soon, and enjoy the rest of your day at EPCOT Discovery Center!

HMF

Welcome to The Seas!

The first thing that should be noticeable is the general aesthetic of the pavilion. The focus on Pixar characters has been greatly reduced, with a renewed emphasis on science in their place.

Here is an overview of the pavilion.

35589681871_05d352fa38_b.jpg

The Seacab ride has been completely reworked. Turtle Talk with Crush remains in its same location. There is an expanded observation area with interactive displays. Perhaps most noticeably, the Coral Reef Restaurant is no more. This area will be repurposed as a research facility and will house the first portion of the new "Behind the Seas Tour." Additional expansion space is located in the northwestern portion of the pavilion. This is where the new Viking Voyage boat ride will be built.

Journey to Seabase Alpha:

As you enter the pavilion, the first portion of the queue is dedicated to famous explorers of the ocean and its biology. James Cook, Jacques Cousteau, Charles Darwin, Sylvia Earle, Vagn Ekman, and Mary Oceaneer all have busts paying tribute to them. From there, we enter a narrow, dimly lit tunnel, the sounds of the oceans beckoning us to continue our journey forward. At the end of the tunnel, we come to the final portion of the queue, a large lockout chamber. The Seacabs now come into view; round, translucent, open-top spheres that shall carry us during our journey to Seabase Alpha.

The first scene we come upon is the formation of our planet. Volcanoes erupt spewing lava and steam, meteors fall from the sky, a black haze covers the horizon.

We are then blanketed by a dense fog. Rain cascades down all around us. Lightning flashes and thunder claps.

The cloud cover gives way to a fast flowing river. Early forms of sea-life can be seen just beneath the surface. After crossing the river, we come across a small lake. Forging onward, we realize that we are surrounded by Norse, Greek, and Mayan deities. Ran, the Norse sea goddess of death warns us not to venture forward, for doom awaits us.

Ignoring her pleas, we move on, entering a dark tunnel. A brisk wind swirls around us. The sound of a tidal wave looms closer and closer until it seems to crash directly overhead, and water splashes over our us. Will we survive?!

Finally, the storm calms, and we find ourselves in the midst of a shipwreck. An eerie calm takes over. The sound of a waterfall can be heard in the distance, getting closer and closer. We traverse directly under it, and suddenly, we seem to be in an entirely different world.

All around us are various sea creatures; sponges, anemones, giant eels, and the glowing eyes of something perhaps more ominous. Pressing onward we come across schools of fish, towering ropes of seaweed, and massive crustaceans that pop in and out of hiding places.

Rounding a bend, we are caught completely by surprise as a giant prehistoric shark lunges out at us, narrowly missing our vehicle. Further ahead, a vast whale swims peacefully and enormous jellyfish bob up and down.

A door opens, and we are surrounded by the Seabase Alpha main tank. Sharks, manta rays, and dozens of species of other fish swim by. A sense of relief comes over us, as we have survived our treacherous journey, and may now proceed to observe the animals from a safe distance! (NOTE: Once again, I will eventually create visuals for each of these scenes, but for now, I only have the overview).

Departing from our Seacabs, we have a number of options to further experience the pavilion. On the ground level are a number of smaller viewing areas complete with interactive touch screen displays that offer an endless bounty of information about all the different species to be found in the environment. Additionally, the Turtle Talk with Crush attraction will appeal to kids of all ages. It’s totally sweet!

On the upper level is the Manatee Encounter. EPCOT scientists are here throughout the day to educate guests about manatees and their habitat.

Two additional attractions will be added to the pavilion over the next few years. The first to be available will be the Behind the Seas Tour. Here, guests can get a first hand look at some of the day-to-day operations that take place at the pavilion. We’ll learn what all the animals eat, how much they eat, how the tank is cleaned, why each species was chosen for the environment, and learn all about EPCOT’s wildlife preservation efforts.

The second attraction to be added will be the Viking Voyage. A spiritual successor to Malestrom, guests will board a boat and set sail on a four story dark ride along the North Sea. Featuring multiple lifts and small drops, this attraction will pack a thrill for the entire family!

There will also be no shortage of retail options. Shirts, hats, bags, keychains, pins, and plenty of toys featuring the characters from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory are available.

We hope you have enjoyed your time exploring The Seas. Please visit us again soon, and enjoy the rest of your day at EPCOT Discovery Center!
I love it. Dare I say it actually sounds better than the original. I wish I could influence WDI to hire you.

MA Screamin'

As stated previously, I am going to create detailed imagery for every scene in Imagination. In the mean time, my primary focus is completing this quick, somewhat detailed tour of the park. So I want to put the finishing touch on the Imagination pavilion's attraction offerings.

We've seen a glimpse of the new dark ride and post show exhibits. But what of the Magic Eye Theater?

To me, the replacement attraction is devastatingly obvious.

29881516091_80a6913ec8_b.jpg

An updated version of Cranium Command featuring the five senses from Inside Out guiding Riley through her day.

The theater is there. The concept is a classic. The theme can be tied together. Figment has even been spotted in the movie. It just works and it is a painfully obvious choice.

The show would be in 3D. There would be a practical set constructed, and the show would mix on screen antics with AAs and special effects inside the theater. Similar to It's Tough To Be A Bug.

I haven't written the script yet, but this is what we're going with.

So, the attraction list for EPCOT 2032's Imagination pavilion includes:
1. Journey Into Imagination
2. The Image Works
3. Cranium Command 2.0 feat. Inside Out

The next pavilion I am going to guide you through is The Seas pavilion!

Great work for the duration of your whole project! I'm really happy to see someone taking a less Blue Sky-approach to tackling EPCOT for a change, and you have been bearing some fantastic fruit in the process.

I wanna point out this and your Seas Pavilion in particular, because it gives me a sort of faith that many EPCOT fans are weary of having amid rumors of IP decimation on the horizon, and that faith is for a sense of balance. IP content, I feel, can be used to forward the narratives of EPCOT when used probably and in context of a strong Pavilion. So, with that, I salute that, as you've given me some hope, that maybe, just maybe, Imagineering could get the Future World refresh right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom