Epcot 2/17 Waste Management and SSE pics

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
This is mostly to show everyone the big new Waste Management are that was having preview, it formally opens next month, but I did take a few SSE photos (well, three..) so i'll put those at the end.

So, let's start with the sign..

epcot21705.jpg

It's like recycle-chic!

And there's a big ol' green dump truck!

epcot21704.jpg

I think it's full size. *shrunk* I don't spend enough time around dump trucks to really know. There's a queue toward to the central plaza entrance, just a little bit of switchback area. They allow 4 groups in at a time, each team/group having or needing 4 players. You get a little introductory speech from an Innoventions CM and then behind the dump truck are 4 touch screen setups where you punch in a survey about your group - to determine your waste produced.

epcot21706.jpg

Sam volunteered to model. See, all touchscreens aren't bad. That sends your data and waste amount (based on your habits) to a cute mini dump truck that a CM brings over to you.

epcot21707.jpg

It has a screen on top that has your team name and actually shows contents and such and gives you directions on what to do next and where to go and such. It lights up and even beeps when you back up. Here's Sam modeling the truck:

epcot21708.jpg

You take your truck the sorting station first. You dock it, then you get instruction from screen and audio. It's a touchscreen game and a pretty neat. Essentially it's a pretend conveyor belt and each member of your team grabs an assigned item (paper, plastic, metal, glass) and sorts it out of the trash. I kicked butt at it, but my poor friend Steph was horrible, thus her despondent look.

epcot21709.jpg

You undock and goto like an incinerator to burn up the remaining trash for fuel. Silver trash burns cold red trash burns hot. Two people go upstairs to control cranes, two people stay down to control bulldozers to push the trash heaps to the cranes. It's a very odd and very strange game that is all about pushing around and dropping trash to control heat in the furnace. We really weren't very good at it.

I didn't take a photo, but you can see the station in the background of other shots of us driving around. There are like 4 of each game area, so they let 16 people in at a time, so the wait isn't too long.

Finally you create a landfill at another dock and screen game, this time with everyone at a large screen and working together as a team to move dirt to level the ground to create the nature preserve at the landfill. You pick up dirt, move it, pretty simple. Really just us arguing over whose dirt the mound was cuz we each wanted to win. In the end, we got robbed of our dirt moving score (for some reason it didnt transfer, the minigame told us we got a perfect score but our end certificate gave us zero, oh well)

epcot21710.jpg

In the future people will be able to send these home. Pretty neat. It took us a little bit of time to get through. Steph really didn't want to do it at first, we had to literally drag her kicking and screaming, but afterward she admitted it was fun. I think Innoventions needs more stuff like this. Plus - it beeps when you back up!

Ok, SSE, in breif - line:

epcot21701.jpg

Neon wires over the telephone scene... (blurry tastic!)

epcot21702.jpg

And moi on globe avec Sam:

epcot21703.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it, twas interesting to say the least.

I3olTz

It looks like its only the back end of the truck so they probably just assembled it in there...

**Edit... i see its a full truck now :D

WDWRLD

It looks like its only the back end of the truck so they probably just assembled it in there...

**Edit... i see its a full truck now :D

No it looks to have the flat nose mack cab on it also which would make it a complete truck. Thaos things dont exactly just bolt together. When they put in the Liberty Mutual firetruck they knocked a hole in a outside wall one night after park closing and had it back up by morning.

GymLeaderPhil

There's a fairly large loading-like door near the exit to Universe of Energy. I'm sure that's how they managed to get it in. Or they built it? Who knows.

jt04

Interesting, SSE does look to be improving a little bit. Thanks for the update! :)

It's more then a "little bit". My optimism for the future of the attraction has returned as they continue to tweak all aspects of the experience.

CrashNet

The truck is what I was hinting at earlier...some neat info regarding its installation. Yes, the doors and windows (and the fence near the house) beside the House of Innoventions were temporarily removed overnight. Platforms were set down for the trash truck to roll over to disperse the heavy weight. Keep in mind there is a tunnel and other rooms under the Innoventions main floor. The floor was cutout where the truck sits now and support beams were added for support. And yes, it is a full-sized never used trash truck, just like the ones you see in your neighorhood each week. Pretty neat. :)

EDIT: Meant to add something...look for walls around the forest soon... ;)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Interesting side note(s) about Innoventions...

This new area has dramaticly reduce the amount of free flow open "space" that East had, since it creates one large cohesive area. Yes, it's still all open visually and even has kiosks much like the old innoventions setup, but it keeps the energy level up and motion constant because of people moving through it at a steady pace for the game.

The Storm area should make East feel even physically smaller, if not "crowded" - who'd of thought they'd ever accomplish that.

And the new secondary signs/marquees, the ones facing the ride pavilions, should be installed soon.

jt04

The truck is what I was hinting at earlier...some neat info regarding its installation. Yes, the doors and windows (and the fence near the house) beside the House of Innoventions were temporarily removed overnight. Platforms were set down for the trash truck to roll over to disperse the heavy weight. Keep in mind there is a tunnel and other rooms under the Innoventions main floor. The floor was cutout where the truck sits now and support beams were added for support. And yes, it is a full-sized never used trash truck, just like the ones you see in your neighorhood each week. Pretty neat. :)

EDIT: Meant to add something...look for walls around the forest soon... ;)

So it is true Husqvarna will be sponsoring a new exhibit! :hammer:

lpet11984

That actually much more interesting than I thought it would be when it was first announced...I mean, anything that beeps when it backs up is pretty sweet.

Thanks for the report!

CrashNet

That actually much more interesting than I thought it would be when it was first announced...I mean, anything that beeps when it backs up is pretty sweet.

Thanks for the report!
Careful there. I can think of a couple things that wouldn't be so great if they beeped when they backed up. :lol:

As for the walls around Forest, this is where StormStruck is going. :)

MaryFrances

our kids loved it!!

We just got back from Disney (President's week vacation) our 2 children (ages 5 & 6) loved pushing the trucks to the different kiosks. They were fighting over them! The truck beeps when backing up! I would suggest a step stool since my son was a little short to do the garbage sorting station. When went back a second day to do it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom