Entertainment CMs are getting cut this week

JIMINYCR

I'm not, man businesses are, including my employer to my entire department.

I'm saying this as someone who knows the mouse well, and how that company thinks and acts.

They will start hiring when things are better, but they'll use this opportunity to see how lean they can run the parks, and will likely not have the same level of staffing as before until things far surpass how good they were before the pandemic.
And thats how all businesses have worked throughout history. Unfortunately Covid is showing many businesses that people can work from home and remain productive or even be more productive in their homes. Thus office buildings will be scaled down or closed down. When the US became mechanized many labor jobs went away. Weve seen it with robotics taking peoples employment away. If Disney finds it can do with less CM's thats sad. I believe they need more entertainment and more CM's in the parks. But businesses are always looking to cut costs and unfortunately the employee suffers the most. I agree with you... Covid is giving them the opportunity to see how to do with less and I think it will hurt them if it goes on. CM's are valuable and should not be cut but added. Its for bettering Disney and what they can give to their guests. But it comes down to how much money comes in vs how much goes out.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Is this true? A LOT of people won’t go to WDW if there isn’t live entertainment?

Assuming we’re talking about live musicians, singers, dancers, actors and not meet-and-greets, face characters, puppeteers, and the like, I’m not sure cutting them would make a dent in ticket sales. I’m not denying that lots of people enjoy the entertainment- of course they do! I’m just not convinced people would cancel a WDW vacation because the Dapper Dans got laid off.

Maybe I’m wrong.
I'm only one person. But the two biggest reasons I go to the parks regularly are Entertainment (shows, singers, dancers, musicians) and Characters (meet & greets).

_caleb

I'm only one person. But the two biggest reasons I go to the parks regularly are Entertainment (shows, singers, dancers, musicians) and Characters (meet & greets).
Thanks. I was genuinely asking. I enjoy the entertainment, but I’m not sure I’d change my vacation plans if there are fewer offerings. No idea how many others are more like me or more like you.

Do we know if Meet and Greet Characters are affected by these layoffs?

TrainsOfDisney

The only reason I go to Disney on a regular basis is the entertainment. This includes stage show attractions, fireworks, parades, atmosphere entertainment, special entertainment like the art show Broadway series / Candlelight, etc.

It’s also the only reason I go to Dollywood on a regular basis. And Vegas and New York City for that matter.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Thanks. I was genuinely asking. I enjoy the entertainment, but I’m not sure I’d change my vacation plans if there are fewer offerings. No idea how many others are more like me or more like you.

Do we know if Meet and Greet Characters are affected by these layoffs?
Pretty sure every department is affected. :(

That said, I do think the union that has DL's character performers announced layoffs, but I'd think WDW probably has, too. :(

TrainsOfDisney

Oh no, most of them, if not all were furloughed. But they just got the news they are completely laid off from the company. No plans on rehiring them anytime soon
Ah ok. I was hearing from cm’s last week that people who were already working were reporting for work and being let go. I wasn’t sure if this was more of that or not.

graphite1326

It is all the little "extras" that got me hooked on WDW vacations. Like the entertainment. I look forward to seeing the Citizens of Hollywood, 4 for a Dollar (really miss them. I haven't been in that theater since), and the street entertainers of EPCOT (I actually got to be King Arthur once). With these little extras gone I am really debating whether I will go back.

Last edited:

Hockey89

It would be very short-sighted to view it that way. Gate admission IS revenue, and a lot of people won't pay that admission price without the entertainment.
You may be right it is short sighted but you are wrong they wont look at it that way... It's a no brainer for them and the books...

mergatroid

I think right now there's many unknowns. I love the citizens of Hollywood, I'd still go without them but would miss them greatly. At this moment in time the company seems to be hemorrhaging money, I can see their reasoning for releasing people though. Is it good for the performers or people like me who love them, the answer to that is obviously no.

I would hope that as things slowly return back to 'normal' in the future, that these entertainers are brought back. I believe many will just because they're such a big part of the fun and magic within the parks. Then again right now with cutbacks understandably in full swing, the majority of people would prefer more attractions open than 'entertainment' continuing to the degree it used to be. They're tough choices to make but sadly we're living in tough times.

I actually work for the department of work and pensions in the UK so deal with people out of work who need benefits. I can assure you that Disney has treated many of their workers far better than a lot of employers have in the UK over this pandemic. Again that's scant consolation to those losing their jobs or those who'll miss them, however I don't see Disney using the pandemic as an 'excuse' to do this and I don't think it was an easy call to make.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think right now there's many unknowns. I love the citizens of Hollywood, I'd still go without them but would miss them greatly. At this moment in time the company seems to be hemorrhaging money, I can see their reasoning for releasing people though. Is it good for the performers or people like me who love them, the answer to that is obviously no.

I would hope that as things slowly return back to 'normal' in the future, that these entertainers are brought back. I believe many will just because they're such a big part of the fun and magic within the parks. Then again right now with cutbacks understandably in full swing, the majority of people would prefer more attractions open than 'entertainment' continuing to the degree it used to be. They're tough choices to make but sadly we're living in tough times.

I actually work for the department of work and pensions in the UK so deal with people out of work who need benefits. I can assure that Disney has treated many of their workers far better than a lot of employers have in the UK over this pandemic. Again that's scant consolation to those losing their jobs or those who'll miss them, however I don't see Disney using the pandemic as an 'excuse' to do this and I don't think it was an easy call to make.
Problem is many of those performers were living from pay check to pay check, and cannot sit around waiting for the possibility to be recalled. They are going to have to move on, and many will never be seen at Disney again.

Nearly all attractions are open, what is sorely missing currently is entertainment - the thing that makes Disney different to so many parks.

And let's face it, Disney is fully capable of doing mind blowing entertainment even within these new restrictions. How about putting WDI to work on doing something to bring entertainment back in a way that is up to the Disney standard while keeping people separated. It can be done, and Disney has the talent to do it, if they have the desire to do it, which currently they dont.

The below worked for a few months during the early reopening, but this isn't going to make those life long memories that Disney talks about so often.

DSC02657-1.jpg

Jon81uk

Is this true? A LOT of people won’t go to WDW if there isn’t live entertainment?

Assuming we’re talking about live musicians, singers, dancers, actors and not meet-and-greets, face characters, puppeteers, and the like, I’m not sure cutting them would make a dent in ticket sales. I’m not denying that lots of people enjoy the entertainment- of course they do! I’m just not convinced people would cancel a WDW vacation because the Dapper Dans got laid off.

Maybe I’m wrong.

I'm not travelling to WDW until fireworks are back on and some of the other live shows. Whats the point of paying the Disney premium price without getting the Disney experiance. If all you want from a theme park is rides there are plenty of other places to go. But the chance to see something like the Nemo musical is something worth paying for.

I expect there are many people who won't want to pay the price for a Disney park until the entertainment returns.

Lilofan

Problem is many of those performers were living from pay check to pay check, and cannot sit around waiting for the possibility to be recalled. They are going to have to move on, and many will never be seen at Disney again.

Nearly all attractions are open, what is sorely missing currently is entertainment - the thing that makes Disney different to so many parks.

And let's face it, Disney is fully capable of doing mind blowing entertainment even within these new restrictions. How about putting WDI to work on doing something to bring entertainment back in a way that is up to the Disney standard while keeping people separated. It can be done, and Disney has the talent to do it, if they have the desire to do it, which currently they dont.

The below worked for a few months during the early reopening, but this isn't going to make those life long memories that Disney talks about so often.

View attachment 505457
U Haul rates to move out of FL are higher due to increased customers.

mergatroid

View attachment 505457

Can't and don't disagree with what you've said. I don't do Disney's accounts myself but have read they're losing billions across the board and if a cure isn't found soon, could be relying on the Government bailing them out to stop them going under.

If the above is true (?) then I can understand their decision making. My heart goes out to entertainment but no more than any other Disney employee. From a selfish perspective it's more upsetting losing an entertainer than a cleaner, but to those individuals there's no difference with losing their jobs.

It's also sad if the entertainers get jobs elsewhere and don't return to Disney as you say, such great talent that will be missed. It's a tough time for everyone and sadly many on this forum will be in the same situation job-wise as those cut from Disney, my heart goes out to them equally.

mergatroid

I'm not travelling to WDW until fireworks are back on and some of the other live shows. Whats the point of paying the Disney premium price without getting the Disney experiance. If all you want from a theme park is rides there are plenty of other places to go. But the chance to see something like the Nemo musical is something worth paying for.

I expect there are many people who won't want to pay the price for a Disney park until the entertainment returns.

I think it was the Tim Tracker vlog from earlier this week that said the Little Mermaid show at the studios was returning soon. They'd put the stickers down and added the sign showing show times if I remember correctly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom