Enchanted 2, confirmed.

wtyy21

I see in the trailer of Disenchanted that it features the new special Disney 100 logo. Maybe the logo will the to debut either in the film or in 2023.
Walt Disney Pictures 100th Anniversary (2022, 2.39_1 v1) 0-1 screenshot.png

brb1006

Welp after seeing the trailer, it's about time I finally watched the original movie. Hadn't seen it since Middle School but I remember really liking it.

Animaniac93-98

I'm not going to say no to a new Alan Menken Disney musical with 2-D animation, and Amy Adams is as flawless as you'd expect her to be, but I have to agree with much of the criticism written about the movie (the review written for rogerebert.com is spot on). This had a lot of reshoots and I think something was lost trying to put it altogether. It's just not as good as the first one.

What made the original work was, after the prologue, the fairy tale elements were used sparingly. They didn't distract from the story and when they happened, it made them more surprising and magical. Most people are put off by the climax because by that point in the story, Giselle has matured and the plot had become more focused. Going all fire and brimstone felt tonally out of place and distracting, even if that's what someone like Narissa would do. In the sequel, most of it is fairytale...and on a budget too [unfortunately, the animation is more direct-to-video than classic Disney]. We lose that grounded environment and story, though some moments are still great like the first song post-wish and finally Edward and Nancy get to sing too.

I didn't hate it, and will re-watch and listen to the songs, but after 15 years of waiting I wanted this to be on par with Enchanted.

Last edited:

brb1006

Glad this movie kept the 2D animated sequences for Andalasia. This is the most time I've seen 2D animation in a recent Disney film in years.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Glas this movie kept the 2D animated sequences for Andalasia. This is the most time I've seen 2D animation in a recent Disney film in years.

Several minutes of 2D animation was made for Godmothered, but most was replaced with the all live-action prologue.

You can see it under the movies "extras" tab on Disney+

brb1006

Several minutes of 2D animation was made for Godmothered, but most was replaced with the all live-action prologue.

You can see it under the movies "extras" tab on Disney+
I forgot about Godmothered until now. I remember falling asleep until the 2D animation suddenly caught my attention before the credits rolled. I wonder who did the animation for Godmothered?

Wendy Pleakley

I was worried when this movie started because the writing was contrived. Having them move into a house still under construction with things catching on fire because that's what the plot required is just lazy.

However, I did like the main story once it was established. I give them credit for doing something new and not a rehash.

Overall, it was okay. The biggest issue for me was that the songs were just okay, and not on par with the original. It kept the movie firmly in straight to home video territory. The whole movie was fine, just felt a little flat.

MarvelCharacterNerd

SPOILER REVIEW AHEAD!

I thought the story was solid. Dempsey was clearly having a blast going back to his broad comedy roots and essentially getting to play Edward. While Amy Adams was vivacious in the wicked stepmother role, I didn't feel she had a handle on... or simply aged out of... Giselle's innocence and intonation.

But for me where this failed was the music. I kept asking "who wrote the music because Menken & Schwartz would never have spent 15 years coming up with... not one memorable song." And poor Amy - some of it wasn't even in her range anymore and they didn't even autotune her some help!

Was glad Idina and James got to sing - I just wished (with my Andalasian wishing wand!) they were giving something better.

Really disappointed that this missed the key component of a successful musical - memorable songs!

Basically it felt like it was Descendants meets Sofia the First - and the Descendants films were shockingly way better than this! At least they have a couple of catchy songs. Also, despite a couple of classic Adam Shankman choreo bits (like straight out of the Buffy musical episode shots), I again felt Kenny Ortega did better with the Disney Channel Descendants films big dance numbers than here.

While I was so happy to see 2D animation again - it has so much more heart than anything CG - it felt as budgeted as the rest of the constrained-sets film.

Really disappointed as this had the bones to be better than it was.

On the plus side, it's inspired me to rewatch the Descendants movies. lol

doctornick

We finally watched and my reaction was exactly the same: everything was okay-ish but the songs were just not good. Nothing memorable or catchy. I feel like every musical number actually brought me out of the story by being just incongruous with what you’d expect in a classic Disney fairytale musical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom