Employment at Wdw???

Phonedave

Dave My Cwa Brother!! Great to hear from another Tech. I was C splicer for a 7 years earlier in my Career at Bell !@#$%tic and have always looked at that time as the happiest point in my work life!!

I always felt like I actually accomplished something every day and To this Day I point out my work as I pass thru the areas I worked in.

Never did too much Fiber work but was lucky enough to spend some time with Very experienced splicers who were masters at their craft.

Id probably be happier working In the parks than to try and do telecomm. work at this point.

Hate to tell you this, but I have always been management in my 16+ years in telecom - no CWA or IBEW card for me.:)

I worked with a lot of techs, did some engineering, and did a LOT of new technology stuff (new tool, new products, new procedures, etc). That is where all my experience with fiber splicing comes in. Of course I do very little with that stuff now - they keep bouncing me around.

-dave

awoogala

We think of it too. Watch the Disney job boards just in case...but they just don't pay in Florida what my husband can make in NJ! He dreams of retiring there and driving the train someday, but for now we need to keep the executive salary here. :rolleyes:

Todd L

Original Poster
Hate to tell you this, but I have always been management in my 16+ years in telecom - no CWA or IBEW card for me.:)

I worked with a lot of techs, did some engineering, and did a LOT of new technology stuff (new tool, new products, new procedures, etc). That is where all my experience with fiber splicing comes in. Of course I do very little with that stuff now - they keep bouncing me around.

-dave
Dave...between you me and The world I was on the track to becoming a 1st level and decided to stick with my tools.

It worked out better for me in the end But Ive always gotten along fine with managers and have been lucky enough to work for good people who either knew the Job or were smart enough to stay out of the way of the people who did.

I dont discriminate and my wife and I both work directly with managers on a daily basis.

My wife works directly for a 3rd , I do most of my time with Engineers and corp. security.

Glad we got a good contract and am happy to be here for 25 years and have a real shot at retiring before I hit 60!!

:)

ddbowdoin

still a dream of mine... but their corporate culture is predicated on growth from within so I'll likely never work there. I'd love to be a CM, but I watch the site often and the pay is incredibly low.

Todd L

Original Poster
I Think Id like to drive the Water Taxis from the resorts to Dtd Or maybe work in the parks in any capacity...It would be a nice change of pace and I really think it would be a great Job for a disney nut.

I dont think Id want to drive the Buses ...just seems insanely stressful !!

jmb2676

Just like any other job, it had good days and bad days. Pay wasn't great and sometimes was difficult realizing that everyone else was there to have fun and you were there to work. Still, it was one of the better jobs that I have had.

ddbowdoin

I Think Id like to drive the Water Taxis from the resorts to Dtd Or maybe work in the parks in any capacity...It would be a nice change of pace and I really think it would be a great Job for a disney nut.

I dont think Id want to drive the Buses ...just seems insanely stressful !!

the funny thing is there are a lot of jobs that line up with my corporate experience, but a few insiders I know say the percentage of people who come into a corporate role off the street is extremely low. Almost all start as CM's in the gates.

Todd L

Original Poster
the funny thing is there are a lot of jobs that line up with my corporate experience, but a few insiders I know say the percentage of people who come into a corporate role off the street is extremely low. Almost all start as CM's in the gates.

I guess that works for them and maybe its better in the long run to have people willing to work up the ladder. Im sure a smart Guy with a background in a specific area would be able to work their way into a corporate job.

I once worked with a Guy in a maintainance position that had a Masters degree in engineering...he had some question for an engineer concerning some work and when they realized How much he actually knew offered Him an engineering Job on the spot with a Nice raise and cut his commute in half!!

JIMINYCR

still a dream of mine... but their corporate culture is predicated on growth from within so I'll likely never work there. I'd love to be a CM, but I watch the site often and the pay is incredibly low.

I've gotten into a lot of conversations with older CM's who have moved to FL and are now working for the Mouse after retirement. They mostly say they wouldn't be there without having a good retirement package to rely on for income which allows them to work at the lower pay rate that Disney pays. They all like the atmosphere, the work, the benefits of bringing magic to the guests, but they are thankful they don't have to rely upon the Disney pay.

Todd L

Original Poster
I've gotten into a lot of conversations with older CM's who have moved to FL and are now working for the Mouse after retirement. They mostly say they wouldn't be there without having a good retirement package to rely on for income which allows them to work at the lower pay rate that Disney pays. They all like the atmosphere, the work, the benefits of bringing magic to the guests, but they are thankful they don't have to rely upon the Disney pay.
My wifes Cousin worked at Wdw in food and beverage in the mid 90's. He was going to School full time and trying to hold down a job and had mixed feelings on it.

I dont think we could Ever survive on Disney paychecks but we hope that with 2 pensions coming in we can sell our house here and buy a nice condo in Orlando and work part time in The Parks.

Even If we just tried it and see how we liked it would be Fine.

Todd L

Original Poster
Another question....Do the cast members who work at My Local Disney Store Get Perks at the Parks?? Free admission?? Just wondering!!

Phonedave

Dave...between you me and The world I was on the track to becoming a 1st level and decided to stick with my tools.

It worked out better for me in the end But Ive always gotten along fine with managers and have been lucky enough to work for good people who either knew the Job or were smart enough to stay out of the way of the people who did.

I dont discriminate and my wife and I both work directly with managers on a daily basis.

My wife works directly for a 3rd , I do most of my time with Engineers and corp. security.

Glad we got a good contract and am happy to be here for 25 years and have a real shot at retiring before I hit 60!!

:)

Honestly, that was quite likely a good decision on your part.

I know a few people - some of whom were techs that at one time worked directly for me - who took a promotion, and it did not turn out well.

-dave

Todd L

Original Poster
Honestly, that was quite likely a good decision on your part.

I know a few people - some of whom were techs that at one time worked directly for me - who took a promotion, and it did not turn out well.

-dave
You and I are In the same boat...Copper is Dying and the Fios build was canned Out here on eastern L.I. which led to the force tranfers to the 5 burroughs for most techs with less than 12-13 years.

It never made the kinda Impact They thought It would and Its a Shame. It really is a Great product BUT, They push it as the ultimate technology and most people Just dont care very much..it comes down to the expense and most people save 25%-30% by going with The OTHER guy.

Guys who stupidly Lived on the O.t. are in deep trouble and cant afford the lifestyles they had 10 years ago.

More and More Young Techs. have left to get jobs elsewhere and I cant take a Train ride to Nyc without getting my Ticket punched by a Guy or girl I used to work with!!

In the 25 years ive been here The Change is unimaginable !!

matt9112

anybody know if they use outside cotnractors for HVAC equipment? i know there needs must be massive...thats what i do now commercial hvac... i would love that gig =)

awoogala

anybody know if they use outside cotnractors for HVAC equipment? i know there needs must be massive...thats what i do now commercial hvac... i would love that gig =)
check out the reedy creek development. They often have jobs, and they seem to be more on the infrastructure than Disney. They have several secretarial, office type jobs at the moment listed, around $16 an hour to start. Nothing on HVAC at the moment, but it seems they might have some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom