Emotional Support Animals when visiting WDW

Arosebud13

Hey

So my mom has recently been assigned an emotional support dog to see if it helps with her PTSD. After the trial period to see if it does help break her panic attacks, the dog will be officially certified as a service animal.
The thing is, the trial period is still going on as we go on our trip to WDW in July. We booked this vacation months ago and really would not like to have to cancel.
So, how does Disney handle Emotional Support Animals?

Arosebud13

Original Poster
Service animals are allowed in at the California Disney Parks, and allowed on rides, at least some of them. I'm sure it's the same for WDW.
Yeah, I'm just not completely sure if an Emotional Support Animal qualifies under Disney's definition of a Service Animal. I just don't want to get there and find out the animal cannot come with my mom

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Does it have that special collar and sign on the dog saying it is? I know the Florida parks do allow them. I know MK has a small doggie doodoo "yard" on the path between space mountain and goofys barnstormer!

Upvote 0

SMS55

Service dogs are allowed in at the California Disney Parks, and allowed on rides, at least some of them. I'm sure it's the same for WDW.

To deny someone access to their service animal is an ADA violation. If the dog has the jacket on him/her Disney will not question it. If not, I don't know how they will handle it.

Upvote 0

lessleyxip

I'm sure it's the same for WDW.
5g.jpg

Upvote 0

Arosebud13

Original Poster
This is probably one of those topics that you should correspond directly with Disney about.
I tried but they wouldn't give me a straight answer other than they just need the vest. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with going to Disney with an emotional support animal for more specific guidelines because with all their changes to handling the disabled, it seems odd they wouldn't want documentation or something. It's a big trip we have planned, and canceling because we might not be able to get her ESA in would be highly disappointing.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
How big is the dog?

The reason I ask is that recently we were on the monorail with a woman holding a small dog which was not wearing a vest. I was curious as to what would happen when we reached the MK entrance. She tried to hide the dog in the security line. At the turnstile I heard her announce to the CM "she's for emotional support". The dog was allowed in and the woman and the 4 others in her party exchanged knowing glances and chuckled a bit, so I can't say for sure if the dog was indeed for emotional support or if the woman pulled a fast one.

All that to say, if the dog does not have a vest and is small enough to be carried around you probably won't have a problem.

Upvote 0

Arosebud13

Original Poster
How big is the dog?

The reason I ask is that recently we were on the monorail with a woman holding a small dog which was not wearing a vest. I was curious as to what would happen when we reached the MK entrance. She tried to hide the dog in the security line. At the turnstile I heard her announce to the CM "she's for emotional support". The dog was allowed in and the woman and the 4 others in her party exchanged knowing glances and chuckled a bit, so I can't say for sure if the dog was indeed for emotional support or if the woman pulled a fast one.

All that to say, if the dog does not have a vest and is small enough to be carried around you probably won't have a problem.
She was granted a smaller jack russell due to not having the strength to handle anything bigger than that if left alone. But he is big enough for the vests, or so the trainer informed us. Yeah, I will not be pulling any fast ones like that family. Right now the dog's only designated as an ESA for my mom until the trial period is over, then he will be a service animal

Upvote 0

SagamoreBeach

I would say they are allowed at WDW. This past March, while at EPCOT, I saw a gentleman holding a very small chihuahua - i'd say the dog weighed no more than 2 or 3 pounds. He said the dog was his emotional support dog. He was openly carrying the dog around -there was no vest or anything to identify it as such. But I have to say that when his wife took the dog and handed it to me to hold I could see the man becoming nervous and a bit agitated. As soon as I handed the little dog back to him he relaxed.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

my question is how you plan to travel to WDW. I am under the impression that until the dog is certified it cannot fly in the passenger section unless in an approved carrier.
i believe certified can travel out of a carrier, although i am no expert on this.
just making sure there are no surpises at the airport either, so be sure to find out the rules before getting there.

Upvote 0

Arosebud13

Original Poster
my question is how you plan to travel to WDW. I am under the impression that until the dog is certified it cannot fly in the passenger section unless in an approved carrier.
i believe certified can travel out of a carrier, although i am no expert on this.
just making sure there are no surpises at the airport either, so be sure to find out the rules before getting there.
It is a certified Service animal that is specifically trained to handle owners with mobile and psychiatric disabilities, but trainer and doctor won't to register him as my mom's service animal to see if the dog will actually help in a significant way. He has a vest that says In Training the trainer gave us to use

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom