Embarrassing Parent Stories

Horizons1

My parents are good people, they don't try to embarrass me and certainly don't mean anything by it when they do, they just don't realize they're doing it. But it's ok, I'm pretty sure I've embarrassed them right back plenty o' times. :D

Anyways, my parents were kind enough to embarrass me not in front of just anybody, but Dave Smith, head of the Disney Archives. It was during the F&GF in 2006. We were in Festival Center, back when it was in Innoventions West, looking at the vendors and exhibits. Being a junior in HS, I'm not all that entranced by plant pots, so looking around trying to find something interesting, I notice someone sitting at a table across the room that looks very familiar. I tried to place him for a few minutes before I realized "Holy!! That's Dave Smith!". Well, I walked over to greet him and tell him how much I enjoyed reading the "Ask Dave" section of Disney magazine before it ceased publication. We chatted for a few minutes and told me that he was at Epcot that day signing his newest version of "Disney A-Z". Now I've flipped through the book a few times, but it never really was a book I was interested in buying, especially for the price that it was being sold. He asked me if I had a copy of it, and not wanting to be rude I told him that I did and it was a good read. After that, I shook his hand and was about to go on my way, when suddenly my parents voices pipe up. They asked me in front of Dave Smith if I wanted to buy his book. I told them no, we already had a copy of it. They proceeded to debate with me whether we owned a copy or not, right in front of him!

I looked at the floor and didn't pursue it further. I simply got out of there as fast as I could. I was really embarrassed by the whole thing. Oh well, it's funny to think about nowadays.

The next time I met a Disney legend, Marty Sklar, I didn't need my parents help to do something embarrassing. I did it all on my own... :lookaroun :lol:

smk

This wasn't one of my parents, but A parent at Downtown Disney last month.

I'm walking along by myself, carrying a water bottle in my hand. Suddenly, something is pulling on the water bottle. I look down to see this 8 or 9 year old boy pulling with all his force on my water bottle. Puzzled I say "excuse me, this is my water bottle." The mother turns (she's right there) and looks at me to say "he's just a kid, you don't have to yell at him, geez!" at me. Because clearly I was the one in the wrong for walking around freely with a water bottle, taunting children with it. What else was I supposed to say? :shrug:

So, You're the one!!!! :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Not really, it wasn't me or my kid, I don't have an 8 year old I just had to tease. :drevil:

DivineMadness7

So, You're the one!!!! :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Not really, it wasn't me or my kid, I don't have an 8 year old I just had to tease. :drevil:

:lol: I was honestly a bit concerned when typing the story that the parent would end up being a member of these boards :lookaroun but then I decided someone that....special....probably doesn't know how to use a computer/the internet....ssooo yeah, not too worried :lol:

It was unbelievable, I met up with my family later that day and told them all about it immediately, like I had been seriously attacked. His pull was so forceful that I'm lucky I didn't eat pavement! But of course, it's never their Little Johnny that has done anything wrong...oh no, no...:rolleyes:

mickeysgal

We can't have a family trip to Disney without an embarrassing dad moment.

On our last trip, my husband, son, daughter, sister, mother, father, and I decide to have lunch at the Turf Club @ SSR. We got the first table in the restaurant, which overlooked the pool table/lounge area. On the TV, was some big golf thing... not a golfer and didn't really care. My dad is a huge golfer and he made sure he got the seat that he could see the TV. So, while the rest of us enjoyed conversation, my father stared at the TV. At one point, some people came into the lounge area and sat down on the couches by the TV. One man however, stood behind the couches, blocking my father's view. My father got up and left the restaurant. We all thought he was going to go catch a glimpse of the game, but nooooooo..... Instead he asked the man to move and pointed to our table, telling him he was blocking our table's view. We all hung our heads in embarassment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom