Electric Umbrella to get self-serve beverages

Rob562

Original Poster
Well, it looks like the Electric Umbrella will be the first in-park dining location to get self-serve beverages... I was poking around the OCC website, and came across two references from this week to a refurbishment of the condiment counters to include self-serve beverages.

This one just says "Custom fabrication and installation of new beverage counters and condiment counters. Procurement and installation of new beverage equipment."
http://officialrecords.occompt.com/wb_or1/details.asp?doc_id=28708331&file_num=20070098086
That one isn't totally clear on whether the counters are for Guests or CMs.

This one, however, clears it up by saying "Installation of infrastructure utilities to support the guest self service beverage counters."
http://officialrecords.occompt.com/wb_or1/details.asp?doc_id=28708332&file_num=20070098087

Of course, this now opens up new questions. First, of course, is when will this happen? My guess is that it'll happen after the spring rush. They don't want to close down one of Future World's busiest quick serve locations during a peak period. (They might be able to do it while it's still open, but I doubt it)

Second, will these be fully open and available self-serve machines? Or will they be limited service using a barcode on the cup for filling cups? (I think Blizzard Beach uses a system like this on their drink mugs, but I haven't been there in years) Perhaps you can buy either a single-serve cup, or a "good all day" cup or mug?

Thoughts?

Also of note from this week, there will be a large repainting job on the TTA coming up. It's described as "TTA Column re-paint" "Repainting trusses throughout the TTA facility." Judging by the accompanying ground plan, it's just the track along the main thoroughfare and in Rockettower Plaza, not the outer track runs by the Speedway and CoP. I'm sure Kevin Yee will be thrilled. :)

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
At Sunshine Seasons the beverage locations are prior to the registers - you collect all of your food and beverages then check-out and then into the seating area you go.

At Electric Umbrella, the drinks would have come from behind the counter after payment. The way the permits state it, it sounds like the condiment/topping bars are going to also become expanded beverage stations. That puts the beverage stations in the middle of the seating areas. However, McDonalds near me even has this and it works out okay. I don't think there's going to be a massive loss of revenue on coke syrup - they pour tons out daily as they fill up cups as it is.

It probably will work out that the savings per worker at the restaurant will counteract any loss on the beverages from "free refills" because it takes a small army to staff Electric Umbrella. Getting rid of beverage fillers eliminates 4 positions easily just during normal operation at that restaurant.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Doing the math... (real simplified)

4 workers @ $7 an hour = $28 an hour

How much coke syrup would people need to steal in an hour to equal $28?

Lots. A whole lot. Coke syrup is really really cheap.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think what will be used will depend on the setup. At the Land you have to walk past the cashiers to exit after using the drink machines. This helps to avoid people getting free refills, filling up water bottles etc. If the set up is similar at Electric Umbrella I would imagine the same system would be used. If the machines are installed in an area where policing this would be hard if not impossible I would expect to see a bar code system.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, i did a quick web search, and a Liter of coke syrup in a box (made for specialty use) costs $9. That makes 30 drinks.

Disney gets it cheaper and not in pretty inidivudual packages, but i digress.

28/9 = 3.11 liters of syrup

Times 30 drinks per liter = 93.33 little servings an hour need to be stolen.

Rob562

Original Poster
I think what will be used will depend on the setup. At the Land you have to walk past the cashiers to exit after using the drink machines. This helps to avoid people getting free refills, filling up water bottles etc. If the set up is similar at Electric Umbrella I would imagine the same system would be used. If the machines are installed in an area where policing this would be hard if not impossible I would expect to see a bar code system.

If they were changing it to be like the layout in The Land with beverage machines before the cashier, we would have seen plans for a much greater refurb that would include the addition of a means for crowd control into and out of the area and moving the registers. But as mentioned above, the filings were just for a refurb of the currently existing condiment counters.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If they were changing it to be like the layout in The Land with beverage machines before the cashier, we would have seen plans for a much greater refurb that would include the addition of a means for crowd control into and out of the area and moving the registers. But as mentioned above, the filings were just for a refurb of the currently existing condiment counters.

-Rob

Very true. If they just put these things at the condiment stations I wonder how many people we will see there filling up 100 oz Camelbacks. But like merf stated if it costs them $10 and hour in theft to save $24 an hour in labor then they still come out ahead and I seriously doubt guests will line up to steel gallons of Coke.

daguru

Could they be soda fountains like the ones at the water parks? Where you can purchase a plastic cup and get free refills all day. The cups have bar codes and the fountains have a scanner, to verify that the cups were purchased that day....

Wonder if this would work better then a standard soda fountain... could they make more money this way? Ideas?

EpcotMark

I am sure that the renovation will allow for the same system at The Land. Cups before registers. Otherwise there would be so many issues with barcodes, theft,or anything else.

TTATraveler

I like the idea of the self service drink system. I like being able to control the amount of ice in my beverage. Perhaps they could shift the beverage cms to the food line to help speed up the delivery of food after placing your order.

anm8r

I remember hearing on the Keys to the Kingdom tour that Disney gets all their Coke syrup from Coca-Cola for free and get it shipped for free in exchange for exclusive rights to sell their product - like bottled water and other soda which is where the real money is.

DisneyRoxMySox

Well, i did a quick web search, and a Liter of coke syrup in a box (made for specialty use) costs $9. That makes 30 drinks.

Disney gets it cheaper and not in pretty inidivudual packages, but i digress.

28/9 = 3.11 liters of syrup

Times 30 drinks per liter = 93.33 little servings an hour need to be stolen.

I read somewhere on this site that Disney gets most of their Coca-Cola products for free because of he advertisting. I did doubt it was totally free, but I think it may be close to it.

disneydan158

Self-Serve soda fountains are a very bad idea, cause even thought guests get their own soda. At Sunshine Seasons it still takes at least 1 cast member to stock,clean, and make sure that the boxes of syrup in the back are not empty. During a lunch rush or any type of rush there could be 3 cast members working on the soda station. The big problem is either they can't get the beverage in the right cup or in the cup , at all. The biggest thing is how many cups get wasted on an average day. I would say we throw away a box pr two of cups and lids, over the course of the week. If they are going to do that the cups should be given at the register instead of like Sunshine Seasons, at the fountains, because putting together their own soda/coffee is to complex for many of guests.
:brick::shrug::brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom