Eisner's Biggest Regret: Hiring Ovitz

cherrynegra

Original Poster
NY TIMES

LAURA M. HOLSON

Published: May 10, 2004

From Walt Disney's Chief, a Reflective Letter Full of Regret

Thanks to the continued unsealing of documents in a shareholder lawsuit against the Walt Disney Company in Delaware, one of the biggest regrets of Michael D. Eisner's tenure as the company's chief executive keeps resurfacing: his hiring of the Hollywood agent Michael Ovitz nearly 10 years ago.

In the latest batch of documents in the lawsuit, related to the firing of Mr. Ovitz and the hefty severance package he received, Mr. Eisner's family ties are on display.

As the correspondence from Mr. Eisner shows, he brought in Mr. Ovitz in part to appease his wife, Jane, and turned to other family members as well for counsel about the business.

But he did not always listen to their advice, much to his chagrin later.

In a letter dated Oct. 1, 1996, written to then directors Irwin Russell and Ray Watson, Mr. Eisner explained how a number of factors overrode his doubts about Mr. Eisner.

"Maybe I suspected it the time, but my desire to bring in a strong No. 2 executive, my desire to satisfy my wife's honest request that I get help, my desire to appear not threatened by strong executives, my desire to seek experienced help to run ABC, and my desire to do what was right for Disney, all clouded my basic instinct that I was making a mistake."

The only people, it appears, who lobbied against the hiring of Mr. Ovitz were some close family members.

"In my heart I was worried, but I hoped it would work," Mr. Eisner wrote, "and I hoped he would change from agent to executive, manipulator to leader, deviation to decision maker, selfish to selfless, devious to determined to stay the moral road, insecure to confident. It has not happened. And the only people that told me so up front was my sister and son Eric." LAURA M. HOLSON

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by cherrynegra
"In my heart I was worried, but I hoped it would work," Mr. Eisner wrote, "and I hoped he would change from agent to executive, manipulator to leader, deviation to decision maker, selfish to selfless, devious to determined to stay the moral road, insecure to confident. It has not happened. And the only people that told me so up front was my sister and son Eric." LAURA M. HOLSON

I frankly find this such an amazing statement for Eisner to make. Anyone who has followed Ovitz' career could have told him that there was no chance in H E double hockey sticks Ovitz was going to change. The man was born a snake, he is a snake, and shall die a snake. Everyone in the entertainment business knew that about Ovitz. And Eisner knew full well Ovitz's reputation and yet he still hired him as number 2. The man didn't even listen to his own family members who doubted his decision to hire Ovitz.

I mean, come on!!!! And his "regretful decision" cost the company and shareholders millions of dollars. I'm sorry, but this is just further proof, from the man himself, that he is unfit to continue playing any role in this company. I'm so disgusted I could just vomit!!:hurl:

GaryT977

What I find amazing is that he was willing to go against his instincts and hire a number two guy just to appease his wife.

Some people are going to construe this as Eisner bashing. So be it. He wore out his welcome about 10 years ago.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Well, his wife simply wanted him to get help. Even SHE thought running the company alone wasn't a good thing, if for no other reason than his health. I don't know if she had Ovitz in mind to help out. Lord, just when you think the man couldn't be more delusional...

cloudboy

Well, for one thing hidnsight is twenty twenty, and when you are blind to the world around you as Eisner was...

What he actually wrote down, what he convinced himself he was doing, and the real reasons he did something are three different things. I think part of it (not all, just part) really was a bit of a power trip, show he was higher than Ovitz, bring in the big guns, show everyone he could contain the monster.

The thing that scares me so much about Eisner is that he really, really does not see what he is doing, and thinks he really is great. Some people know they are rutheless and that is the way they are. Those people sometimes know when to get out, though, too.

Eisner is clueless about all the problems he creates - he really does not get it. And that is what makes him so dangerous - he's a hero in his own mind.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading in Keys to the Kingdom that his hiring and firing of Ovitz was all his doing. No input whatsoever from the board. Just more damning evidence against this Stepford-Wives-like Board. Do nothing, say nothing, sit there and follow orders.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom