Eisner vs. Iger

GeoffR

Original Poster
Good Evening Everyone,

I wanted to post an open question and discussion I've been thinking about for the past few days. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I just wanted some Disney community thoughts.

I grew up with Michael Eisner in charge of Disney. In that time, there were a lot of positives, especially within the parks. MGM (Hollywood Studios), and Animal Kingdom were added. Additionally, Disney went through its Second Golden Age, with the films of Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin etc. Eisner left on bad terms, and is often accused of using parks money to fund his studio; lowering budgets on attractions to put more money into movies.

Since Iger took over, New Fantasyland was added, as well as the major acquisitions of Marvel and Star Wars. However, Iger has been accused of not being as involved and out of touch with the parks, and also taking the 'Walt' out of Walt Disney World with the adding of IP all over the place.

I' interested to hear other's takes on this, and what they think each did or is doing wrong or right. Personally, I'm not a fan of too much IP, and don't agree with a lot Iger has done in recent years, but it could just be that I'm older now and wasn't as aware of other things Eisner did when I was a kid.

Thanks for your time,

Geoff

mousehockey37

Yes. There's already several threads on this if you search for it. Upon searching myself, 3 of them are almost the identical title to yours.

EricsBiscuit

Overall Iger has been a better CEO. Opening the extremely profitable Shanghai Disney Resort. Eisner was great until he overinvested in Disneyland Paris (building thousands of subpar hotel rooms outside Paris and overpricing them is a recipe for disaster). Iger has brought three major studios into TWDC effectively giving it a monopoly on pop culture. Eisner' involvement in the parks is in my opinion a negative. Look at epcot. Iger let's the Imagineers do the planning and designing. Sure he mandates things but he lets the Imagineers do the imagineering

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yes. There's already several threads on this if you search for it. Upon searching myself, 3 of them are almost the identical title to yours.
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom