Eisner says Disney's sky isn't falling

brisem

Original Poster
Eisner says Disney's sky isn't falling
Commentary: But 'DisneyWar' puts pressure on the CEO

By Jon Friedman, MarketWatch
NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- My favorite moment during the Walt Disney Co. annual shareholder meeting occurred when the company's top executives started touting "Chicken Little," an upcoming Disney animated feature.

In retrospect, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Disney (DIS: news, chart, profile) Chief Executive Michael Eisner's favorite part of the two-hour session as well. Perhaps the irony wasn't lost on him, either.

In Eisner's world, the doomsayer Chicken Little has been played by the dissident shareholder and former board member, Roy Disney (He is also the nephew of the legendary founder Walt Disney).

Roy Disney has been running around Burbank, Calif., where Disney is based, Wall Street and everywhere else for more than a year, shrieking that Disney's stockholders are getting a raw deal from Eisner. He has blasted Eisner's management record and blamed him for everything but starting the Great Chicago Fire.

Roy's campaign helped force Eisner into a corner. Last year, at the company's 2004 shareholder meeting in Philadelphia, the shareholders showed so little confidence in Eisner that he took the hint. Eisner relinquished the cherished title of chairman, which he had held for two decades since arriving at the Magic Kingdom.

Wishing upon a star

But on stage Friday in Minneapolis at the 2005 annual meeting, Eisner sounded renewed.

As I listened to the Webcast, I could envision him bounding around the stage as he happily recited the company's accomplishments.

Eisner emphatically pointed out, for example, that the company's earnings and stock price had surged since last year's Philadelphia fiasco. He did everything but break out in a chorus of Elton John's "I'm Still Standing."

No wonder Eisner was sticking his chest out. Disney's holdings are on solid ground. ESPN is doing phenomenally. For the first time in many years, Eisner can even brag that ABC, long a black hole for Disney, is on a roll. ABC has hit it big with the most talked-about new show and greatest hit of the season -- "Desperate Housewives" -- and the popular "Lost."

With so many things going right, you couldn't blame Eisner if he had an urge to thumb his nose at his nemesis, Roy Disney.

Eisner could shrug off complaints that Disney's stock price had lagged the results of other large-cap stocks over the years. Critics carped that Eisner's acquisitions, especially the Capital Cities/ABC deal, were questionable at best.

But survival has been the name of Eisner's game for the past 20 years. Few CEOs are as resourceful. He remained the Teflon CEO, even when his executive partnerships with Jeffrey Katzenberg and Michael Ovitz fizzled and ended up costing Disney hundreds of millions of dollars.

Goofy

Still, I have a quibble with Eisner myself.

This year, Disney brought its annual meeting to Minneapolis. In 2001, Disney held the meeting in Dallas. Then it was on to Hartford in 2002, Denver in 2003 (during a blizzard, no less) and Philadelphia a year ago. It seems to have a disdain for the largest city in the United States.

As for Eisner, his task gets ever-more complicated because of the explosive new book "DisneyWar" by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist James B. Stewart.

Stewart takes apart Eisner's record, not only deal by deal and controversy by controversy, but basically memo by memo.

Simon & Schuster, the publisher of "DisneyWar," has moved up the publication date of Stewart's book. The company, a unit of Viacom (VIAB: news, chart, profile) , wants to cash in on the buzz that the book is beginning to garner.

Eisner, really, has one task. He has to find a way to convince everyone, all over again, that, no matter what appears in "DisneyWar," the sky isn't falling.

Butnubb

Down with Roy

I'v been on the "down low" lately because my last reply sparked so much anger within the forums. I thought that i would let you guys cool down.

Well... Anyway, I feel that Big Mike has done an exceptional job with the disney corporation in the past years of his reign. let's put aside the few "shady" deals he has made and look at the bright side. Bear with me...

As of now, i feel that the disney corporation has made the right decisons. Mike Eisner has brought so many new concepts to disney including animal kingdom, MGM and yes, even ABC. Let us not forget that ABC as had many a hit show including "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".

And what about the so-called disney decade, huh! does roy disney really think that he could have done a better job with that? give me a break! the opening of 3 new theme parks (MGM, Animal Kingdom and California Adventure) and several brand new hotels and millions of dollars in merchandise sales and countless movies isn't enough for you Roy. Huh. You can go shove it up your a$$ (pardon my french). Eisner has every right in the world to brag and boast about what he has done for the disney corporation. and there is nothing that Roy Disney can say to change my mind! The only reason that i have respect for the man is because his Uncle wad a great man with great ideas and a great outlook on life. and that is why, i think, Roy is still part of the company.

Let me see... What else has Eisner done for the company? The pixar deal. even though it was terminated because disney got too greaty i still feel that i was all good in the long run.

So you still may say that Eisner has made bad choises for the company and all, but i will always feel that he is a god among men.

diz420

What?

It's not what Roy "could have did" I have no problem on how the Disney co. was run in the past. It's what Roy "can do" now that Eisner has ran the family side of the Disney co. in the ground.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom