Eisner at MK

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Hey, does anyone know if Eisner noticed that big empty lagoon in FL at MK while he was previewing Mickey's Philharmagic? I wonder if he noticed that lack of activity on that side of FL.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Yes......
My point was that I hoped he noticed a considerable lack of activity for this portion of Fantasyland, and would head back to WDI and finally green light ANY project for this important piece of MK real estate.

meanmice

I don't see this happening at WDW. I don't know the author very well so i'm not sure if he is to be trusted, but i think that wdw doesn't have as big of a problem as DL does. Not to say that WDW doesn't have a crowding issue, but that they wouldn't go to this extereme any time soon.

Lee

Adventurer
It's a different situation at DL.
Their subs have only been closed for 5 years, and the actual subs and props are still in the water. In theory, the attraction would be easy to start up.
20K at Magic Kingdom has been down for nearly 10 years, and the subs and much of the props have been removed for some time now. Opening 20K would be a major undertaking.

Bryy2001

Ok am I the ONLY ONE who thinks that Michael Eisner is completely out of his mind. He has made some good decisions since he has been CEO of Disney....but building another theme park overseas (China Disney) is such a huge mistake I can't even think about it. Why wouldn't he just work on improving the stateside parks especially WDW who is suffering more and more everyday with direct competition with Universal. Hell, he just spent over 2 BILLION dollars on Tokyo Disney Seas and now another whole park in China. Hey Mike, we here in the US are getting tired of waiting years for new attractions and revamps, throw us a friggin Disney bone here!!! It's almost as if he is ignoring Universal's seemingly hell-bent ambitions to dethrown WDW as the top Orlando vacation destination, someone needs to wake him up STAT and get him back to WDW (not China) where he belongs.

pheneix

Well, you definitely aren't the only person that thinks he is out of his mind. ;)

Also, Disney did not put a dime into DisneySea. That was an OLC project, and because Oriental Land Company runs DisneySea and the rest of the Tokyo Disney Resort is the only reason why the resort is so successful.

However, if you want to talk about billions being thrown away, look at the $5 BILLION that was ed away on Fox Family only to have it ensure that the bottom positions on the ratings are not left empty.

BTW, don't feel so jealous about Hong Kong getting a Disneyland. It is at best a DCA scale park, and at worst a sign of things to come for the domestic parks as long as the current management team remains in Burbank.

Bryy2001

I agree pheneix, and just look at all the money being put forth to save ABC, it does need saving, but I haven't seen much improvement over the last few seasons despite all the $ being put forth to save it.

netenyahoo

so true...so true...

All the money is being put into ABC to save it and the parks are being left behind. DisneySeas is a great park because OLT put tons of money into it. Disney isn't put much of anything into the parks lately.

Tigggrl

The lagoon project has been in talks since BEFORE Christmas...
Al Putz couldnt keep his post at MousePlanet...What makes you all still think he is THE most knowledgeable Disney person????
Please:hammer:

strobe

Originally posted by Bryy2001
Ok am I the ONLY ONE who thinks that Michael Eisner is completely out of his mind. He has made some good decisions since he has been CEO of Disney....but building another theme park overseas (China Disney) is such a huge mistake I can't even think about it.

I am baffled as to why Disney needs any parks over seas?? I think part of the allure has always been (at least from an international standpoint) making the trip to a sunny American resort. If you have a Disney park just 300 - 400 miles from home, why make the trip overseas?

Disney is trying to turn their parks into commodities, and I think that is a big mistake. Like with anything else, too much of a good thing isn't always good.

I would hate to say 'I'm going to Disney World' and have someone reply 'which one'? Because at that point, it isn't magic anymore, it's just another park franchise.

Bagheera

Originally posted by Tigggrl
The lagoon project has been in talks since BEFORE Christmas...
Al Putz couldnt keep his post at MousePlanet...What makes you all still think he is THE most knowledgeable Disney person????
Please:hammer:

Actually, he left MousePlanet (or was given the boot, depending on which version of the story you hear) because MousePlanet was looking for a more Disney-friendly outlook that would help it join the list of most-favored travel sites. Al wanted to continue being a curmudgeon with good sources. They parted company on ideological differences, and I think that Al's happier that they're not trying to get him to be nicer, and they're happy that they don't have to try to muzzle him.

That said, while MousePlanet is one of my favorite Disney sites on the web, I do make it a point to see what Al and Kevin are doing over at MiceAge, since they still have killer sources that nobody else has, and a lot of their information turns out to be true. (Even if Al writes in such an inflammatory style that it sometimes hurts to read.) I don't know that Al is "THE most knowledgeable Disney person", but he does get a lot of accurate inside info.

CREEKWAYNE

My questions is do think that Mike bought a bucket of popcorn and a soda then realized it almost cost him $10.00!??:hammer: Small change for him maybe but for an average family of four..:eek:

bump.

NowInc

Im typing this at 9 am..so try and bare with me here..

first off...those complaining about the money dumped into ABC and FOX should realize that disney is an ULTRA large corporation, with seperate funding for different ventures. The money th at went into the TV stations has NOTHING to do with the source of income thats used to do theme park additions/improvments..

Second...the subs at MK will NEVER retun unless they rebuild the entrance...not because of crouds..but because of the lack of a handicap entrance...

strobe

Originally posted by NowInc

first off...those complaining about the money dumped into ABC and FOX should realize that disney is an ULTRA large corporation, with seperate funding for different ventures. The money th at went into the TV stations has NOTHING to do with the source of income thats used to do theme park additions/improvments..

That is true, however, in the end it really all does come from the same place and that is from owners equity column on the consolidated balance sheets. I agree, the funding is very different, but it still affects the overall health of the corporation and its stock price. This may make Eisner think twice about putting money into one division (theme parks) while certain other divisions are bleeding him dry.

Right now, according to a group of Wall Street analysts I talked to, Disney is worth significantly less as a whole company than it would be if it were split up. The goal for Eisner is to correct that problem. It isn't just Disney either, a lot of media companies are in a funk right now.

I think it will all turn around, but in my opinion, they should really consider dropping some of the losing ventures they are hanging onto and focus on their core brands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom