effects of tourism

DISMUM

Original Poster
Although not a great contributor to this board I do pop in now and again to see what is going on and post if I have any thing to contribute.I am now asking for your help on behalf of my son who has a geography assignment to do for an exam.It is about the effects of tourism on the local area asseen and felt by the local people .Althoguh we have a home in The area we only get to meet people there who are actively involved in the tourism industry and reall we need answers from the folks who live and work there outside of that industry.If anyone has a few moments to share their thoughts I would be really grateful.
The questions are as follows:
1 What problems does tourism bring to the area?
ie litter, traffic ,seasonal problems,crime? others?

2.What are the advantages of tourism in the area?

income /jobs others?

3. Do you think tourism ,in general is good for the area and why (or why not)

If you do not want to post your answers here then you may e-mail them to me on
LJ.SMITH@NTLWORLD.COM

Many thanks in advance for all your help

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
advantages of tourism... turned Orlando into a real city, and thanks to the lovely taxes paid by tourists, Floridians don't pay state income tax.

disadvantages... they congest our roadways and cause more car accidents the the locals.... and they smell funny too :lol:

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by DISMUM
1 What problems does tourism bring to the area? ie litter, traffic, seasonal problems, crime? others?

2.What are the advantages of tourism in the area? income / jobs others?

3. Do you think tourism, in general, is good for the area and why (or why not)

1) All which you have listed - litter is increased by the increase in people, traffic congestion is brought about by the increased number of people, crime is attracted to the area because of the increase in the number of potential victims

2) Advantages - as your list. Without WDW the area would not have developed at the same rate - for example holiday homes.

3) That depends on how tourism has affected your lifestyle.

sschroeder

You've already listed the negatives, such as traffic or the need for road/highway expansion (or public transportation); litter; police and emergency services. Any time you greatly increase the population to an area, these things are most likely to follow.

On the positive side –
Tourism is the area's largest employer. Those jobs directly created are hospitality & attractions staff, but think of all the jobs that were created to handle the aforementioned negatives - road workers, construction crews, airport staff, police and fire/rescue personnel.
More than 43 Million people visited Central Florida in 2002 and more than 44 Million in 2003. Visitor spending contributed more than $21.8 Billion to the local economy in 2002.
And, yes, the tourist tax saves the avg. household approximately $450 in additional taxes each year.
Orlando has expanded its cultural offerings, as well as added much more upscale shopping, dining & attractions with the tourism boom – this is great for visitors and locals.

Good luck!
Sara

DISMUM

Original Poster
thank you so much to those of you who have taken the trouble to answer .It has given my son lots of food for thought and its good to get a point of veiw from the residents .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom