EE: Please help me be a responsible parent.

LAM378

So I get to make my FPs tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let my son ride EE. He is over 44" tall and turns 5 the week after this "birthday trip" in August.

There's a big backstory here, but if you don't feel like reading it, please feel free to skip it and just read the last paragraph. I will understand.

Before we went to WDW last month, Max was a chicken. But he quickly tired of princesses and "baby stuff!" and went on Barnstormer. Loved it, but found it too short. Loved Splash and BTMRR and rode them repeatedly. I didn't ride because I don't do mountains. I dread the drop on PotC.

Anyhow, a few days in, Max started begging to do Space Mountain. He'd seen it on TTA. I didn't think he'd be tall enough, so I told him he could ride it if he was. He was like 1/8" over the height limit, and after much high-fiving with the CM who measured him outside, he was in.

So I'm sitting outside with my dad, who hasn't ridden it in 13 years, when he suddenly remembers Uncle Chris can't sit next to Max on this ride. And I start sweating because I just sent my baby into Space Mountain and my brother can't hold him and I'm having horrible visions of Max flying out of the ride vehicle because he doesn't know how to brace himself, he just rode his first roller coaster 3 days ago and WHAT HAVE I DONE. It was like a sick joke that I couldn't even call my brother to stop them... because I was holding his cell phone.

I waited at the ride exit shaking and reminding myself how much my brother loves Max, how he'd find a way to hold onto him, that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. The proof is in the ride photo:

wd045wdw201413775560361.jpeg

My brother leaned out of his seat the whole time so he had a good grip on Max. (I don't know the guy in front of Max.)

I was really shook up. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd taken a big risk letting him ride. I was "off" the rest of the day, couldn't sleep that night; I kept thinking about the things that could have gone horribly wrong. My brother was a little shook, too--he hadn't remembered how rough and jerky Space is, how you're not ready for the drops because it's pitch dark. He said he was actually holding Max's head sometimes because otherwise his little peanut head was whipping around too much. He said that even though Max intensely loved it, there was no way he'd take him back on it anytime soon. It was too wild for Max, even if Max didn't think so. That nauseated me, made me feel even guiltier. All day I kept checking him over, checking his pupils, asking him how he felt. He was fine. Space Mountain was his favorite part of WDW. Every time he saw it thereafter, he'd scream, "I CONQUERED YOU!" at it.

Which brings me to EE. We didn't hit AK last month, but we will when we go in August. Max is fixated on EE because he saw it in a planning video. He loves watching the on-ride videos of it. "ANOTHER MOUNTAIN!!!!!" he has to conquer. "I'VE GOT TO SEE THE YETI!!!" He'd be riding with his father, who has never been to WDW (and isn't a huge fan of coasters, but will do anything for Max, and will definitely hold him tight).

TL;DR: I'm worried because when I read comparisons of Space Mountain and EE, some people say they're similar, or that EE is actually worse. Jerking and whipping and g-forces (I don't even know what they are because again, I'm a chicken). I feel terror when I watch the ride videos. The thought of him riding EE is even scarier (illogically) because it's outdoors and I picture him flying out of the ride through the air :in pain:. So what would you do? How rough is it? Would you put a Space-Mountain loving 4-year-old on it? Or should I tell him it's being refurbished while we're there? ;)

DManRightHere

So I get to make my FPs tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let my son ride EE. He is over 44" tall and turns 5 the week after this "birthday trip" in August.

There's a big backstory here, but if you don't feel like reading it, please feel free to skip it and just read the last paragraph. I will understand.

Before we went to WDW last month, Max was a chicken. But he quickly tired of princesses and "baby stuff!" and went on Barnstormer. Loved it, but found it too short. Loved Splash and BTMRR and rode them repeatedly. I didn't ride because I don't do mountains. I dread the drop on PotC.

Anyhow, a few days in, Max started begging to do Space Mountain. He'd seen it on TTA. I didn't think he'd be tall enough, so I told him he could ride it if he was. He was like 1/8" over the height limit, and after much high-fiving with the CM who measured him outside, he was in.

So I'm sitting outside with my dad, who hasn't ridden it in 13 years, when he suddenly remembers Uncle Chris can't sit next to Max on this ride. And I start sweating because I just sent my baby into Space Mountain and my brother can't hold him and I'm having horrible visions of Max flying out of the ride vehicle because he doesn't know how to brace himself, he just rode his first roller coaster 3 days ago and WHAT HAVE I DONE. It was like a sick joke that I couldn't even call my brother to stop them... because I was holding his cell phone.

I waited at the ride exit shaking and reminding myself how much my brother loves Max, how he'd find a way to hold onto him, that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. The proof is in the ride photo:

View attachment 56005
My brother leaned out of his seat the whole time so he had a good grip on Max. (I don't know the guy in front of Max.)

I was really shook up. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd taken a big risk letting him ride. I was "off" the rest of the day, couldn't sleep that night; I kept thinking about the things that could have gone horribly wrong. My brother was a little shook, too--he hadn't remembered how rough and jerky Space is, how you're not ready for the drops because it's pitch dark. He said he was actually holding Max's head sometimes because otherwise his little peanut head was whipping around too much. He said that even though Max intensely loved it, there was no way he'd take him back on it anytime soon. It was too wild for Max, even if Max didn't think so. That nauseated me, made me feel even guiltier. All day I kept checking him over, checking his pupils, asking him how he felt. He was fine. Space Mountain was his favorite part of WDW. Every time he saw it thereafter, he'd scream, "I CONQUERED YOU!" at it.

Which brings me to EE. We didn't hit AK last month, but we will when we go in August. Max is fixated on EE because he saw it in a planning video. He loves watching the on-ride videos of it. "ANOTHER MOUNTAIN!!!!!" he has to conquer. "I'VE GOT TO SEE THE YETI!!!" He'd be riding with his father, who has never been to WDW (and isn't a huge fan of coasters, but will do anything for Max, and will definitely hold him tight).

TL;DR: I'm worried because when I read comparisons of Space Mountain and EE, some people say they're similar, or that EE is actually worse. Jerking and whipping and g-forces (I don't even know what they are because again, I'm a chicken). I feel terror when I watch the ride videos. The thought of him riding EE is even scarier (illogically) because it's outdoors and I picture him flying out of the ride through the air :in pain:. So what would you do? How rough is it? Would you put a Space-Mountain loving 4-year-old on it? Or should I tell him it's being refurbished while we're there? ;)

No ones ever flown out! If he can do btmrr he will be perfectly fine!

I find ee much smoother than sm or btmrr.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I do that too! I cried waiting to ride ToT for the first time lol... and I'm 31!

LOL, I had tears of fear forming in my eyes the first time I was about to ride RnRC with my family, and my daughter (9) said "Are you crying mommy?" I had to pull myself together because I knew she was nervous but would love it. She sat next to my husband and did in fact love it. I sat next to DS (11), and he took my hand and said "I'll keep you safe mommy." (I cry tears of love every time I remember him saying that.) And in the end, I did love it too.

I flew like a champ. Never once did I let Max know I was afraid, because I don't want him to inherit the fear.

I didn't know my mom was afraid to put her face under water until I was an adult. I loved swimming as a child and am grateful she didn't share this fear with me and my sister.

As for your question, if your son wants to do it and is tall enough, I think you should feel confident that it is safe. As far as differences from Space Mtn, I personally am a coaster chicken and I despite drops. I'll go on Space once per trip and like it, but once enough thrill for me. I tried E:E one time a few years ago and will not go on it again. Space is jerkier but does not have any big drops; it is, however, in the dark and has single file seating. E:E is in the day light and has side by side seating; it is smoother but it does have some big drops (although "big" is relative from person to person). I did not enjoy it because of the drops, but I would not hesitate to let my children ride it.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

I think there have been 1-2 incidents on Space Mountain, but I don't think anyone has ever flown out. No incidents even remotely like that have happened on Everest.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Rides are so safe these days that you have a better chance getting hurt walking on the sidewalk.

Guest safety is Disney's #1 priority because accidents are terrible for business.

Tons of kids your son's size ride all the time...it's not really an unusual thing to just be tall enough to ride. Many kids aren't fearful at all.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

View attachment 56005

That adorable girl in the second row is my oldest DD (I'm the big geek next to her). Her 4th birthday was just a couple of days before this pic. Your son will be just fine, Mom. Stop worrying.

I just want to say... that both you have crazies for kids! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
When I was that age... I couldn't even handle the Teacups!:D I was a total wimp at that age!

Upvote 0

DRC68

I have to admit...when I was that age, my Dad took me on a kiddie coaster. I don't remember taking a breath the whole ride and my folks said I was white as a ghost.
As for my DD, we started her on Barnstormer, moved up to Splash Mtn., then Big Thunder Mtn. Next day was ToT. We gave her ample chance to bail out on every ride. Thought she would on ToT...but she's no quitter! Can't wait till she can go on RnR with us! Now to break in her younger siblings!

Upvote 0

ginadee

Look at his cute little face. He looks so happy. I think I had so much anticipation about EE that I was surprised how mild it was. It actually starts off kinda slow and even stops at one point. Then the backwards thing. Thats pretty fast. I think its the best coaster.

Upvote 0

Hayfam

First I would like to say, I commend you for asking questions! Second you really can't compare any of the roller coasters they are all different in their own way! As a mother of two boys nine and eleven, the ride should be his choice. When you get there walk him over to the hill and he will tell you if he is ready! My youngest rode EE when he was seven and enjoyed it but would not get on Space Mountain because it was in the dark. I didn't force the issue! A few months ago when we went back we rode Space Mountain about ten times per his request! Safety is not the worry, he will be secure. It is all about him being mentally ready to ride the coaster! I hope this helps and he enjoys the trip!

Upvote 0

Penelope

Ok, I have to say something. The first time I ever went on space I was 5 in 1980. And I vividly remember slipping out of the car and if I didn't hold on for dear life I absolutely would have. I'm not making this up or imagining it. Its a memory I will never forget. I'm sure people won't believe me, but it's true. Did this happen to anyone else as a child? That was also in 1980 and I don't think they had the lap bars like they do now.

I think I may know what you are talking about given the design of the seating at that time. I was 5 the first time I rode SM which was around the same time as you. My parents have told me that when I first rode the ride, that there was a seat belt to strap 2 people into the car together, no lap bar. And you sat in between another person's legs, not next to them (like SM in Disneyland is designed so you are sitting similar to Thunder Mountain or EE). Somehow I got in between my grandmother who is not very amusement park savvy and it was a very rocky ride. I remember not feeling very safe and secure.

I wonder how many years that particular design feature of having one passenger in between another's legs was on the ride? All my grandmother did was scream and scream it was not pleasant (now it is quite a hilarious memory!)

Upvote 0

alissafalco

I think I may know what you are talking about given the design of the seating at that time. I was 5 the first time I rode SM which was around the same time as you. My parents have told me that when I first rode the ride, that there was a seat belt to strap 2 people into the car together, no lap bar. And you sat in between another person's legs, not next to them (like SM in Disneyland is designed so you are sitting similar to Thunder Mountain or EE). Somehow I got in between my grandmother who is not very amusement park savvy and it was a very rocky ride. I remember not feeling very safe and secure.

I wonder how many years that particular design feature of having one passenger in between another's legs was on the ride? All my grandmother did was scream and scream it was not pleasant (now it is quite a hilarious memory!)
I don't know maybe, but I was in the car alone. :eek:

Upvote 0

LAM378

Original Poster
Thank you all, a million times, for all these responses. I can chill out about this now, and just cover my eyes when Max watches the EE video every. single. day. I can't wait for him to see the freaking immobile Yeti so he can scratch it off his list and we can talk about anything else in the world.

Just bring a roll along and you can strap him in! He will be fine!!! Let him ride it I say :)

vhsrc1.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love this. I can think of many, many instances where duct tape would be handy for strapping Max down.

I just want to say... that both you have crazies for kids! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
When I was that age... I couldn't even handle the Teacups!:D I was a total wimp at that age!

He is a crazy. I'm 36 and still a total wimp! He did not inherit this from me! :D

Upvote 0

SAV

Just bring a roll along and you can strap him in! He will be fine!!! Let him ride it I say :)

If you are bringing tape along, it has to be this one:

06f9a80eb348aef5991b43bac700a4b2.jpg

And you were not a bad parent for letting him go on Space. He was more than fine in there and will be just as fine in EE.

If anything, have him go on BTMRR first so it will calm YOUR nerves and then you will know he will be fine on EE.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom