Economy...

krazyfordisney

Original Poster
I don't see a recent discussion on this topic...but has anyone heard if people are cancelling their vacations due to the fuel cost crisis before their final payments are due?

I am fortunate because gas costs aren't having a huge impact on my family (DH works from home, I work close to home), but costs of goods are going to be impacted in the very near future.....which affects all of us.

Realizing that none of us have a crystal ball; does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Yankeeplex

I think the people flying will be hurt the most. With all the restrictions on luggage and the prices being thrown out there on multiple bags being flown in. At $20-25/bag, all of a sudden, bringing luggage could be hundreds of additional dollars, on top of all of the new fees due to the fuel situation. I could not even imagine traveling long distance now versus what it was even 2 years ago.

RiversideBunny

In case WDW is too expensive now, there's this item in the news today.

"Cambodia has since reclaimed its proper role as a "must" on the Southeast Asian travel circuit. Sure, there are still areas dotted by landmine warning signs, but if you use common sense, there's no reason you shouldn't find Cambodia as safe as Thailand. The countryside is lush, the capital city is colorful and the ancient temples of Angkor Wat are Southeast Asia's finest."

:cool:

gbruenin

Our concession to the rising cost for travel is to drive rather than fly. It will be a long run from PA, but it amounts to 4 tanks of gas for both 'to' and 'from'. Add in a Hampton Inn night each direction and its about 1 1/2 plane tickets for all 4 of us. Plus, Pontiac Airline never looses luggage and has convenient departures. We avoid the car rental costs, too.

Gary

Timmay

In case WDW is too expensive now, there's this item in the news today.

"Cambodia has since reclaimed its proper role as a "must" on the Southeast Asian travel circuit. Sure, there are still areas dotted by landmine warning signs, but if you use common sense, there's no reason you shouldn't find Cambodia as safe as Thailand. The countryside is lush, the capital city is colorful and the ancient temples of Angkor Wat are Southeast Asia's finest."

:cool:

Don't forget the "Pol Pot Center for Compassion". How can you pass that up?

DisneyMusician2

Never underestimate the draw of Disney...

Many say that the rising fuel prices and weak dollar will combine to keep more people on domestic trips, so that Disney may be more popular in this "crisis time", not less.

maryszhi

I don't see a recent discussion on this topic...but has anyone heard if people are cancelling their vacations due to the fuel cost crisis before their final payments are due?

I am fortunate because gas costs aren't having a huge impact on my family (DH works from home, I work close to home), but costs of goods are going to be impacted in the very near future.....which affects all of us.

Realizing that none of us have a crystal ball; does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
yep
this past march when i was on spring break i asked the lady and she said she saw a huge surge in cancelation. my cousin asked too, same response

AEfx

It's also affecting people like myself who tend to take multiple trips a year.

I live in New England, and a couple of years ago I was able to take a weekend trip to WDW for about $350 since I had an AP. Plane ticket about $130, two nights at a value resort ($60-70 with discounts), admission paid for, just food besides that (and I have DDE so even that was pretty cheap).

I stopped flying for longer trips because I prefered driving and having my own vehicle down there, but even that cost has doubled, of course. The result has been that I haven't renewed my AP this year because all the costs of getting there have gotten so high I just can't get the use out of it.

Thankfully, I finally decided to bite the bullet and come the end of the year I'll be living in Orlando, so I'll no longer have to worry about it any more. :)

AEfx

DABIGCHEEZ

Never underestimate the draw of Disney...

Many say that the rising fuel prices and weak dollar will combine to keep more people on domestic trips, so that Disney may be more popular in this "crisis time", not less.

I think the "domestic trips" may refer to closer to home /weekend getaway / daytrips. There are many International destinations that cost less than WDW. We have decieded back in Feb. that we will have to drive this year. Unfortunately I will have to do all the driving though(roughly 16 hours). It is much cheaper for us and as Gary said we don't have to rent a vehicle. I will not goto WDW and not have a vehicle. But as everything goes up, we have just this week discussed that we may have to cancel the trip this year. And I am sure I am not the only one thinking this and/or possibly doing this. Right now it is still a go, but some of our actvities/ dining may be curtailed. If things continue as they are it is not a question of if Disney will be affected, but how much will Disney be affected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom