Earthquake Has To Go...

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
Does anyone else agree with me?

When I was a kid I loved this ride but I don't think it's aged very well. With the recent "buzz" of JAWS being closed and completely re-done I think this is way overdue certainly in need of it more than JAWS does. I can't even say I've enjoyed the last couple of times I've ridden it and I think I know the entire script of the pre-show, I can't even see that it would be that exciting for a first time visitor I think it seems very dated now.

JROK

Julius & Boobah said:

When I was a kid I loved this ride but I don't think it's aged very well. With the recent "buzz" of JAWS being closed and completely re-done I think this is way overdue certainly in need of it more than JAWS does. I can't even say I've enjoyed the last couple of times I've ridden it and I think I know the entire script of the pre-show, I can't even see that it would be that exciting for a first time visitor I think it seems very dated now.

While I agree that this ride is old and out-dated, I don't understand why people are so quick to say, "This ride or that ride needs to go! They're too old!" about Universal... Meanwhile Disney has rides like Peter Pan or Snow White and even Pooh taking up plenty of space that could be used for awesome rides... these rides are severly less technical than Earthquake and more outdated than Earthquake... but it's because they're considered "classics" ... that's the only reason people still ride these rides... but as Universal, there are no classics yet because the park is only 15 years old... so yea...

CAPTAIN HOOK

Julius & Boobah said:
No, sorry. Considering some of USFs closures I think that there are far worse attractions in there that should go before Eathquake - Twister to name but one

dolbyman

I loved the ride ... very realistic look and feel to the stations

certainly better than the CA version as part of the studio tour :dazzle: .... btw .. the FL jaws was also much better than that studio tour version of it in CA

dxwwf3

I would personally love to see Earthquake and Jaws go because they are by far my least favorite of the major theme park attractions in Central Florida. But if they are still popular, then I guess USF should keep them, but those two along with Kongfrontation were the biggest reasons I did not like my first trip to USF. And I'm hoping that Earthquake and Jaws join Kong in USF Heaven soon :).

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
I agree Earthquake has a nice looking realistic station but it's ruined by the laughable collapse of the ceiling when the truck falls down... pure comedy!! Kong had an amazingly realistic tram station but that's not reason enough to keep a dull attraction.

I think Twister is an often underated attraction and takes alot of un-necessary slack. I think It should close and be re-imagined... I kind of feel like it's Universal creatives e xeperiment to see if they can make a realstic looking tornado, which they can, they just need now to make a kick ______ ride out of it which Twister could so easily be, here's how I see it...

You're in a Jeep/truck with the Dorothy II strapped onto your back, it's a very similar ride system to the Indianna Jones Adventure/Countdown to extinction (Dinosaur) and you start off driving through th country about to chase a Twister, all contact is via a raidio on your truck with Helen Hunt or Bill Paxton providing the voice who are (supposidly) in a truck in the same area trying to track the same Tornado but they're out of site as ther location is say half a mile in the other direction! They tell you you're "close" and to "stay put" the wind picks up and you see lightning in the distance where you also see a Twister the radio voice tells you to "Get Closer" and gives you the location of the Tornado. You Drive off on avery bumpy track on to the next scene. The TOrnado is much closer here and moving closer towards you, the wind has dramatically picked up, debris is flying everywhere, rain is hammering down and the lighning and thunder is crashing above your head. They again tell you to get closer as you drive onto the next scene (made to seem like you're driving around the side of the Twister) Here the twister is much closer literally feet from you the wind is affecting the truck's handeling and you get the go ahead to go up close to it and release "Dorothy". the truck backs up inches away from the tornado and the wind is really s__________g you up, it lifts the back of your truck off the ground and almost starts to spin you, you turn a little but the truck is resisitng revving away, it's then a race AWAY from the Twister which follow you shacking you uncontrollably threating to toss you like a toy car in seconds. You're too close and the truck is sucked up and you're surrounded by spiralling smoke and you can feel the truck lifting up like you can feel yourself rising up in Spider-Man. Then all of a sudden with a crash of lightening BANG the twister is gone and you hit the floor, destruction is all around but you're ok. You speed off into the distance and The Dorothy is gone... Job Done.

hardly any planning went into that I just thought as I typed but you get the idea! I'd have great emphasis on the Radio Commentary making the whole thing alot more exciting and maybe have the other truck visable at the end with a screen of Helen Hunt in it asking if you're ok and giving you the thumbs up!!!

If some of that doesn't make sense I apologise I haven't read through it!!

Anyways... Jaws has a couple of years left in it IMO!!!

JROK

First off, REALLY good ride idea... sounds fun to me... maybe because I love Dinosaur lol... but I think this would be awesome... only problem... no space to do all that... Ghostbusters was originally in that building and was a SFX show... when that was taken out for Twister, they only had room to do a SFX show... so maybe if they knocked down Studio 33 behind Twister (next to the Library) and made a new soundstage for the ride, it'd be possible... but I really enjoyed your idea...

Lynx04

Due to Universal's size and little room for expansion. The first thing you think about when you need to add a new attraction is what attractions can be replaced due to low attendence. Being that it is much cheaper to recyc existing building then build new building structures, I think Universal will continue replace a few attractions before using valueble expansion sections of the park.

The one thing about Jaws is the attraction is not set in a building, so any new attraction for that area would require a lot of money to convert the land to be used as something else, unless they keep the same system in place and have it take place on the water. I think the most likely attractions next to be replaced is Earthquake and BTTF.

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
NemoRocks said:
When I first heard of Twister... Ride It Out, I always thought it was going to be a Jeep-style ride.... :lol:

I didn't know what to expect to be honest but I suppose "Twister.. view it from a safe distance" doesn't really have the same ring to it :lol:

They should knock down the old and now fake looking New York Skyline and put something in there I think Universal have a lot more places for expansion than people first think... Who owns the land of the old Hard Rock Cafe? Thats a LOT of land that's used for employee breaks and storage!! They should put something in the old Murder She Wrote/Xena building too.

I think Jaws isn't one that should go yet to be honest! Beatlejuice is a horrible show IMO... I think BTTF cost them too much to get rid of for a while besides I still think it's awesome AND I think they want something attached to that movie IN the park, I think tehy SHOUL always have something BTTF in there.

crazydaveh

Back to Earthquake... I like it! It's 30 minutes in the AC!

Yes, the "earthquake" portion of the experience can be updated with new technology, but doubtful if that will ever happen.

On the Twister subject... I think that was a waste of space and something better can be put in the space with a similar type of "show."

Bring back Ghostbusters! I loved that as a kid... Though I think Universal no longer has the rights to use the ghost fighting guys in the parks. I could be wrong though.

Michael72688

You are right about the Ghost busters, thats why their other show got cancelled. You probably will never see them again at a Universal theme park. :(

dolbyman

the twister ride was fun ... but maybe a bit dark .. (have to release that video version of mine :wave: ) a bit like a windy version of earthquake

but the queue is outstanding .. I love it :sohappy:

DarkMeasures

Earthquake manages to still be horrible even if you are a volunteer.

Jaws, I refuse to ride it due to its horribleness. If it is getting updated or whatever, then they better replace all the sharks with better sharks... and an exploding shark..... Just turn the ride comical like the Jungle Cruise..... I want to see exploding sharks.

danielj80

ok first off if my memory serves me correct Earthquake is one of the parks original attractions thats has been there since the studios opened so yeah i can see why it's totally out dated and being an annual pass holder to universal i never go on the ride because it's so boring, secondly the line area did a great service to halloween horror nights a couple of years back so why not turn earthquake into a somewhat van helsing attraction then they could tie it in if they eventually bring back HHN to the studios as a haunted house.

dumb idea but it's worth a try!

another attraction i think they should get rid of is beetljuice the show doesn't do it for me at all, if they really wanted to use him then only bring him back seasonally for obviously halloween or something prime example of this is universal studios japan they use him every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom