dxwwf3 Trip Report

Man, I hate coming back and trying to crap 8 days worth of WDWMagic Message Boards and all other Internet sites into an hour or so. A lot of great news while I was gone. Can't wait to hear more about Midway Madness at MGM.

Ok I'm just going to jot down some stuff here instead of going day by day:

Expedition Everest totally surpassed my expectations. I was freaking blown away by this attraction in person. The queue was fantastic, the ride was more thrilling than I thought, and the Yeti lived up to the hype. It gets better every time you ride it. Just a short notch below ToT and Splash Mountain for me. Much better than what I was expecting. Sure it could be longer by about 20 seconds and the drop could be longer and the beginning could have been more interesting, but this thing is the best attraction at the park. The AK crowd patterns will never be the same.

Mission Space Green Team. Wow, I was totally wrong. I thought there was no way this would be worthwhile, but I was very wrong. In many ways it is even better than the original ride. Much more movement and it is very smooth. No excuse not to ride M:S anymore. VERY well done, WDI. Orange is still obviously better and the best way to go, but this alternative is a very fun ride on its own terms. I hope more people give this a try. The crowds are dead most of the time over there and maybe once word about Green and Orange being available, more people will check it out.

Pop Century is my new favorite resort. It is like they took everything that was great about the All Stars and made it better. It's the little touches that make this place so great: 3 beverage islands, apple juice and lemonade light, frozen cokes (when they are working), improved room layout to make everyone closer to the main building, better bus service, and beautiful lobby. I guarantee we will never stay at the All Stars again. Pop is fantastic. They should have worked on soundproofing the rooms a little better though :lol:

Ok those are the big things I wanted to discuss, but I just don't have time right now to post everything I wanted to talk about. That should come later tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, I made it out of Epcot yesterday alive and well :lol:. That fire was a little too close for comfort.

wannab@dis

Welcome home! :wave:

Pop is a great place... we really enjoyed our stay there. I'm looking forward to EE and MS-Green also. Maybe next year. :(

dxwwf3

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Welcome home! :wave:

Pop is a great place... we really enjoyed our stay there. I'm looking forward to EE and MS-Green also. Maybe next year. :(

Thanks and I'm sure you were pleased to see no complaints on that post as well. But even though this was one of the best trips ever, I will have to mention some not so positive news in a little bit. Just want to warn ya ;)

IMO, EE blows ROTM out of the water. It's a tad short, but it is certainly enough to comfortably put the AK as my 3rd favorite WDW Park. And after this trip I can easily say my list would be:

1. Epcot
2. MGM
3. AK
4. MK

1 and 2 are close, but Epcot is just so tough to beat right now.

More to come later.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Ok now I have had time to settle and I can add some things:

The June 5th EMH Evening at the Animal Kingdom was a NIGHTMARE! That's the only way you can put it. First off, Kali River Rapids was closed the entire time. And that sure didn't help out the crowds at Everest. It was CRAZY! Lined up almost to the gift shop to get a FP. And guess what? At about 9:00 pm or so EE stops for technical difficulty and then at 9:40 it is announced that it is closed for the night. What a HUGE letdown. At least I got one ride on EE before it shut down and it was fantastic. It is so awesome at night. Truly an amazing attraction at any time of the day. But anyways, everyone and their brother was at the AK for EHM anyways and when Everest closed, everyone and their grandparents headed for the exits. The lines for buses were at NYE levels for the All Stars and Pop Century and I'm not kidding. 3 or 4 Charter Buses were called in just to try and get people out of there. Even with that, the All Star line was backed up nearly to the Welcome to Animal Kingdom sign (not the main entrance).

Ok you can call me a homer on this one, but I don't care. Stitch's Great Escape is the biggest flop in WDW history. I walked past the attraction numerous times during this trip and there was never more than a 5 minute wait. And there were even times when I walked by and there was NOBODY in the queue or in the waiting area for the first preshow. NOBODY! Did this put a huge smile on my face? Every single time. Did I mention this to numerous CM's and complain about it? Yes, I sure did. But I'm not letting that get in the way of reporting how the crowds were. You can even look here to see what I mean (Picture from the latest MouseTimes Update):

normal_DSC01890.JPG

"SGE was not running FP today, and do you know what the wait time was? 5 minutes."

It appears that contrary to the opinions of one or two members here, this show isn't disliked by "a few hardcore fans". It is a mess and something will have to be done soon.

On a similar note, 2 nights ago at the Magic Kingdom Extra Evening Hours (much more enjoyable than the AK experience) I wore my Skippy shirt and I got no less than 10 comments from CM's in Tomorrowland and various other spots around the MK about it. The guy loading us on the Jungle Cruise said "You have no idea how much I miss that show" and a newer CM handing out wristbands asked me if that shirt was from the Stitch show and a male CM beside her IMMEDIATELY corrected her and he said "No that shirt was from a GOOD show" :lol: That cracked me up. And the best response of the night was from a CM that looked like a manager who saw me walking by SGE, which at the time had nobody in the queue, and I told him "This is what happens when great shows are replaced with crap" and said "I know. We get that a lot." I could tell he knew what I was going to say before I said it because he was smiling the whole time and it was like he felt my pain.

I'm sorry if that paragraph sounds like I'm trying to make up stories to try and push an agenda on anyone else. If complaints are powerful enough to get AE changed, I think I have every right to let Disney know how I feel about the situation. I plan on sending letters to a few Disney higher ups as well. Hopefully they are getting the message and we have seen the last of the cheap, kid oriented changes at the MK. And if the latest rumors about the Incredibles attraction that Lee among others have been talking about come true, then it would be a HUGE step in getting the original WDW park back on track. Even if the CoP is a casuality (which I would DEFINITELY prefer the attraction would always be there), the MK needs a new, quality E-ticket attraction. Not for attendence, but just for normal park operations. It's time.

More in the next post...

dxwwf3

Original Poster
The main queue area at Soarin needs to be renamed "The BO Room". The smell would knock you down every time you walk in there. And that was with FP's and walking very fast through there. Maybe they could pump in some of that orange scent in there :)

Another reason that this trip was one of the best ever is because of the food (In order of appearance):

1. Liberty Tree Tavern - Pilgrim's Feast at Lunch - The best meal available at the Magic Kingdom. Period.

2. 50's Prime Time Cafe - Old Fashioned Pot Roast - I've probably had 20 or so Pot Roasts from here and this one was the best. Extremely tender and full of taste. Great potatoes as well.

3. Le Cellier - Grilled Steak Burger - Best meal of the trip. You just can't beat this burger for $9.99. The fries are easily the best I've ever had and the 3 kinds of bread are a meal in themselves. We also tried the Cheddar Cheese Soup for the first time ever and I'm craving it all the time now. The pretzel bread tastes so good dipped into it.

4. Flame Tree BBQ - BBQ Pork Sandwich - Table service quality in a full service setting. The baked beans are always the best.

5. Mitsukoshi Restaurant - Chicken - The food was very good, but it is overpriced and not the most filling meal in the world. Also be aware that they do not take the 20% off Disney Dining Experience Card, but they do accept the 10% Annual Passholder discount. Our chef was great and the food was as good as I have ever had there, but I was hungry again after a couple of hours.

6. Alfredo's - Alfredo and Lasagna - Yeah that's not a normal menu item, but our family shared. My Dad's cousin in the manager here and he always makes sure we are taken care of. Our glasses were never empty and our food was out in about 5 minutes. It was unreal. Nothing short of spectacular as far as food quality goes. I would choose the lasagna if I could only take one menu item.

The rest of our meals were pizzas or burgers at the Pop Century food court. And I even think their food court is the best on property. I just loved Pop Century.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I'm trying to break these down into easy to read posts so I hope it isn't annoying to anyone. This should be the last post unless I think of something else:

The Haunted Mansion seems to be in better shape than it was in December. Still a rehab would do it well.

The Country Bear Jamboree also needs some serious work, but it is still quite popular and most guests seem to enjoy it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I was hoping for a replacement, but some TLC would be great.

Epcot Flower and Garden is the best time to visit Epcot. It looks wonderful.

Crowds are terrible at M:S right now. It would be a shame if it doesn't pick up anytime soon. There's no excuse not to ride it right now unless you are extremely prone to motion sickness or enclosed spaces.

Impressions de France and O' Canada are still the best parts of World Showcase, IMO.

Fantasmic is the best nightime show at WDW by a mile, IMO.

I really hope the Nemo ride at TLS is worth all the trouble. And I expect it to after all that I am hearing as well.

I think Sounds Dangerous is one of the best diversion attractions at WDW. It is very relaxing and a great place to cool down. I still hope a better attraction takes up that spot in the future though.

Muppet Vision 3D is still my favorite 3D show. And I enjoy it more after repeat viewings.

Dinosaur needs a rehab in the worst way. Worse than any other attraction on property. Let's get it back it its opening day glory guys.

Primeval Whirl is the most painful experience at the parks. My shoulders and stomach get beat up pretty bad, but it is still worth riding once.

That's all. If anyone has any questions, please ask.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
nibblesandbits said:
Glad to hear your predictions for SGE are coming true. :lookaroun :lol:

It didn't take a brain surgeon to know that there was almost no chance that SGE would succeed after hearing about the attraction during the 2003/2004 rumor and news period. The way AE was set up, it would take a miracle to make a similar attraction (in equipment terms only) kid friendly and good at the same time. And that did not come close to happening. Actually I'd say we got the exact opposite of a miracle ;)

TrentMom

[Ok those are the big things I wanted to discuss, but I just don't have time right now to post everything I wanted to talk about. That should come later tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, I made it out of Epcot yesterday alive and well :lol:. That fire was a little too close for comfort.[/quote]

What happened in Epcot? What fire?

Trentmom

dxwwf3

Original Poster
TrentMom said:
What happened in Epcot? What fire?

There was a car fire near the parking entrance and it had spread over into the woods and it was very visable from our Pop Century Bus Stop. It took a while to get out of Epcot and nobody was on the other side of the road when we were leaving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom