DW Trip HELP!

DWImagineer

Hey,
First off I am the new person on the block and just wanted to say hi. I am planning a trip in the near future to Disney World. When would be a better time to go this June of 2006 or the beginning of 2007 in the winter? Please base your answer on new attractions and not on rehabs, unless a major thrill ride is closed, or updates. Also which waterpark is better Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? What is the Backstage Safari tour at Animal Kingdom. Is this a tour where you can ride the Kilamanjaro Safari slowly and be able to take pictures without fear of losing your camera and see the animals up close? if not what is that called. One final question would be about Mission space. what type of ride is it? does it spin in an inverted way really fast creating the feel of liftoff? I have two parents that hate going upside down while spinning. They get real dizzy and sick real easy.

Thanks for your help,
DWImagineer

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Welcome! :wave:

For me June would be a non-starter. Very hot, humid and crowded. I like Jan/Feb timeframes. The downside to that is there are more rehabs going on, it's a slower time for the parks. I don't think I've ever had both waterparks open while I was there, always one or the other in rehab.

Mission: Space is a centrifuge. Although you don't feel like you're spinning or the angle of your pod is changing, it is. If your parents suffer motion sickness, I'd recommend they avoid it. DS and I enjoyed it, but it's not for everybody.

Can't help on the Safari questions.

Upvote 0

jvenegas

DWImagineer said:
Hey,
First off I am the new person on the block and just wanted to say hi. I am planning a trip in the near future to Disney World. When would be a better time to go this June of 2006 or the beginning of 2007 in the winter? Please base your answer on new attractions and not on rehabs, unless a major thrill ride is closed, or updates. Also which waterpark is better Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? What is the Backstage Safari tour at Animal Kingdom. Is this a tour where you can ride the Kilamanjaro Safari slowly and be able to take pictures without fear of losing your camera and see the animals up close? if not what is that called. One final question would be about Mission space. what type of ride is it? does it spin in an inverted way really fast creating the feel of liftoff? I have two parents that hate going upside down while spinning. They get real dizzy and sick real easy.

Thanks for your help,
DWImagineer

Welcome to the boards!!:wave:

First of all, regarding new attractions, you'll be fine in any of the two dates because EE is scheduled to open April 2006.

Now, June will be fine if you go before school ends so the crowds will be lighter and the weather will not be as hot as July or August.

If you decide to go early 2007 you should take into consideration the cold weather when talking about water parks and larger crowds. You should check the closing dates on the water parks as they are obviously seasonal. As two which of the two water parks is better, I really can't help you with that one because I've haven't had the cahnce to be in either of them, but from waht I've heard and read in these boards I believe people tend to prefer Blizzard Beach.

Regarding the backstage Safari Tour, I believe this is a tour where tehy take you, well, backstage, and you can see how everything is done behind the scenes like food preparation for the animals, vet care, housing and some other interesting stuff. The Safari tour where you can go slower than in the regular tour I believe is called the Early Bird:veryconfu . I do know it'is very early in the morning, before park opening and you need a special reesie for that one cecause capacity is limited.

Finally, regarding Mission:Space although it spins really fast, it doesn't go inverted or upside down,. It uses the spinning combined with video images you look at that gives a very realistic impression of space flight. If your parents get dizzy or sick real easy, I really would not recommend M:S for them.

Hope this helps and whenever it is you decide to go, ENJOY IT!!!:sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Welcome!

Yes, early 2007 would be a great time for a first visit - lower crowd levels, cooler weather. The downsides are shorter park hours (which can be a plus!), rehabs, and cooler weather. :p (I like warmer weather, myself). Bilzzard Beach will probably be the water park that is open. The 50th celebration will most likely be concluded at that time, so it's anyone's guess as to if there will be any major rehabs at that time. June is HOT, crowded, and I believe those two things would lead to a less-than-ideal first exposure to WDW.

Mission:Space is very rider-dependant. I've ridden twice, and the second time I was much more affected by the spinning than the first time.

Upvote 0

barnum42

June's only advantages are that it's nearer and the parks may be open longer, but you run the risk of having longer lines due to schools being out.

Winter gives you shorter lines where you can get more done.

Backstage safari is a guided tour behind the scenes - no cameras allowed in some areas. The slower safari is the Sunrise Safari, which last I heard was for Concierge guest at Animal Kingdom Lodge only.

If you are interested in the safari - you may find the animals more active in the winter than the heat of summer. I went after the hurricanes in Sept 04 when it was cooler and saw more of the animals than in the hotter times.

Upvote 0

hansel1

Early january is a great time to go. We have already booked jan 4-14 of 2007. We went to WDW this past january 8-15 and it was awsome. The lines were very short. The days were pleasant with the temps in upper 70s the nights were around 50 with the exception of one night when it felt like 40s (the winds made it feel colder). It only rained one day for 15-20 minutes while we were in mgm.

The busses are less crowded, the parks are less crowded (makes up for the closing times), and you can do the parks at your leisure.

I was worried about going in january because of rehabs and closures, but the two major attractions that were closed happen to be Buz lightyear and the big boat in frontierland.

Blizzard beach was open this past january.

Upvote 0

DWImagineer

Original Poster
Also, I have never been on any inverted coasters in my entire life. When I was younger I was scared to death of them; but now that i am a coaster fanatic when I get ready to go on an inverted coaster, by some strange twist of fate, that ride breaks down. So whenever i go to Orlando, what is an inverted coaster like. What kind of feeling do you get when you're up-side down? Please let me know. Also, what is the Coronado Springs resort like? We are thinking about staying there.

Upvote 0

mickeysgal

Welcome!

My family has gone in both early December and in mid to late January. We like these times better because it's not so crowded and although it's cooler than the summer time, it's still warmer than home in the northeast. In early December Typhoon Lagoon has always been open (Crush'nGusher was awesome) and in January Blizzard Beach has always been open. Both are a lot of fun...when we go to TL we always end up spending all our time in the wave pool, and do more slides @ Blizzard Beach.

As far as Coranado Springs Resort, I've never stayed there, but a friend did. He loved it... he thought the rooms were okay, the pool was great, and the resturaunts were wonderful...especially the Pepper Market Grill. He was glad to have a counter service with more than your typical burgers and fries. One thing you do have to watch out for is that, I believe that Coranado Springs is also a Convention Center and hosts a lot of guests for those. I don't know how loud it gets but I guess if you ask when you make your reservations, you can decide if you want to stay there.

For really good descriptions of the resort and room, check out www.allearsnet.com and look under accomodations. You can see a lot of info and pictures of every resort on the property.

Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

shakes20

DWImagineer said:
Also, I have never been on any inverted coasters in my entire life. When I was younger I was scared to death of them; but now that i am a coaster fanatic when I get ready to go on an inverted coaster, by some strange twist of fate, that ride breaks down. So whenever i go to Orlando, what is an inverted coaster like. What kind of feeling do you get when you're up-side down? Please let me know. Also, what is the Coronado Springs resort like? We are thinking about staying there.

As far as inverted coasters, I love them! Like you, as a child I was frightened of coasters and wouldn't go near them, but now they are my favorites. I think that inverted coasters feel safer than traditional wooden ones. First of all, you are strapped in better on an inverted coaster, and secondly, when you go upsidedown, the force created by your speed holds you into the seat. I always feel safer in an inverted coaster (that is part of the reason I still love wooden coasters).
Coronado is a nice resort, very large, and because it has a convention center, a little more adult and quiet than other moderate resorts. That being said, it is my least favorite of the moderates. My choice would be Carribean Beach. Also very large (a lot of walking to get to food or gift shop), but the scenery is amazing. Port Orleans also has great theming and seems a little more intimate (due to landscaping).
Hope that helps some!

Upvote 0

DWImagineer

Original Poster
shakes20 said:
As far as inverted coasters, I love them! Like you, as a child I was frightened of coasters and wouldn't go near them, but now they are my favorites. I think that inverted coasters feel safer than traditional wooden ones. First of all, you are strapped in better on an inverted coaster, and secondly, when you go upsidedown, the force created by your speed holds you into the seat. I always feel safer in an inverted coaster (that is part of the reason I still love wooden coasters).
Coronado is a nice resort, very large, and because it has a convention center, a little more adult and quiet than other moderate resorts. That being said, it is my least favorite of the moderates. My choice would be Carribean Beach. Also very large (a lot of walking to get to food or gift shop), but the scenery is amazing. Port Orleans also has great theming and seems a little more intimate (due to landscaping).
Hope that helps some!

So what you're saying is that just go on it and you'll have a great time? Do you actaully feel the presence of being inverted or does the G forces make it feel normal. I actually have been on an inverted coaster a few years back. I don't consider it one, but I rode the X Flight, which is a flying coaster in which only one of the inversions was actaully a regualr inversion, it was a lay down type coaster. After that I was ready for all the others at Geauga Lake but the WHOLE park broke down with people stuck on the rides. so when the rides where fixed there was NO way I was going on any of them.

Upvote 0

barnum42

DWImagineer said:
Do you actaully feel the presence of being inverted or does the G forces make it feel normal.
You don't feel yourself hanging upside down, if that's what you mean - the G-forces help see to that, plus you are being shaken around by the coaster. You are aware that you are pulling loops and corkscrews.

Upvote 0

Allllex

DWImagineer said:
So what you're saying is that just go on it and you'll have a great time? Do you actaully feel the presence of being inverted or does the G forces make it feel normal.

They are very fun, the sensation of positive G's (as opposed to negative G's, the type that make your stomach tickle or make you lift out of your seat) makes you feel like your entire body is being pressed down into the seat. It's a very unique sensation!

Upvote 0

shakes20

DWImagineer said:
So what you're saying is that just go on it and you'll have a great time? Do you actaully feel the presence of being inverted or does the G forces make it feel normal. I actually have been on an inverted coaster a few years back. I don't consider it one, but I rode the X Flight, which is a flying coaster in which only one of the inversions was actaully a regualr inversion, it was a lay down type coaster. After that I was ready for all the others at Geauga Lake but the WHOLE park broke down with people stuck on the rides. so when the rides where fixed there was NO way I was going on any of them.

I guess that's what I'm saying... I've never been on an inversted roller coaster, so I can't compare the experience. As far as the loop, you are aware that you're turning around, but in RnR (because it's in the dark) it doesn't seem scary.

I still believe that a good wooden rollercoaster is far more scary (big drop, camel humps lifting you out of your seat, etc.). Does anyone else agree with me?

Upvote 0

DWImagineer

Original Poster
Thanks for your help so much. One last thing though. Is Kali River Rapids ever going to be longer? We had to ride it three times, with a family from illinois that we met at the park, to get the whole experience without feeling rushed. Though it was nice we never had to get off the boat.

Upvote 0

MouseCrazy

My 2 cents worth ...

Regarding the water parks - they are both great, depending on what you are looking for ...
Blizzard Beach has the steep fast slides. If you are looking for thrills and chills that's the park for you. It does have some places for little ones to swim and play, but it mostly caters to teens.
Typhoon Lagoon is more relaxed and laid back with lots more for little ones to do. It still has slides, but they tend to be tamer than those at Blizzard Beach. Typhoon Lagoon also has a humongous wave pool where they can actually teach you to surf (early in the AM before the park officially opens). It also has a snorkling pool where you can see sharks and tropical fish.

As far as when to go, I too prefer January, because of the lighter crowds and the milder weather. In June it rains a LOT .. not so in January. You can also get some better deals on lodging in January.

Upvote 0

barnum42

shakes20 said:
I still believe that a good wooden rollercoaster is far more scary (big drop, camel humps lifting you out of your seat, etc.). Does anyone else agree with me?
Some of the woodies are great - they can give you just enough time to get your bearings before shooting you off in another direction, more so than the complex metal structures that just throw you around.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom