DVC Website

correcaminos

The old lobby had an actual Key West charm, you felt like you were transported somewhere else. The new lobby has the charm of an Ikea showroom. I haven't stayed at SSR since they redid the lobby there, and honestly, I don't know when I'll be back. :(
Again to each their own. Spoken as an 18 year owner of OKW. I was indifferent to the OKW lobby. Never had a desire to stay and check it out after checking in. Same with SSR. Both are improvements IMO, though I get tastes are not all equal. Much like the old teal tiles in the rooms were loved by some. I felt very not OKW feeling in those, but loved the rooms otherwise.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Again to each their own. Spoken as an 18 year owner of OKW. I was indifferent to the OKW lobby. Never had a desire to stay and check it out after checking in. Same with SSR. Both are improvements IMO, though I get tastes are not all equal. Much like the old teal tiles in the rooms were loved by some. I felt very not OKW feeling in those, but loved the rooms otherwise.
I *love* the whole vibe of OKW. :) Lobby to restaurants to background music to the rooms. Take out one of those pieces and it's not the same place for me. However... it's still probably my most favorite DVC resort, despite Disney's best efforts to ruin it.

nickys

Premium Member
And the recent refurb as very good too IMO. Murphy beds in Studios especially.
The lack of any storage in the living room in the 1 & 2-beds is a major drawback IMO. The only space is the table with lift up lid. No closet, not even any drawer space. I don’t want to have clothes lying around all day, or cases piled in the corner for over a week.

Why they couldn’t have put in hidden shelves on either side of the queen Murphy wall bed, like at Riviera, I don’t know. Or just a small unit with drawers in the hall. It rules out SSR for us.

correcaminos

I *love* the whole vibe of OKW. :) Lobby to restaurants to background music to the rooms. Take out one of those pieces and it's not the same place for me. However... it's still probably my most favorite DVC resort, despite Disney's best efforts to ruin it.
Again we'll have to agree to disagree on parts. Love OKW. Just prior the lobby didn't do it for me. Rest of the resort is great. New updates I love and new decor. I don't feel Dinsey tried to ruin it. Feels more Key West to me now.
The lack of any storage in the living room in the 1 & 2-beds is a major drawback IMO. The only space is the table with lift up lid. No closet, not even any drawer space. I don’t want to have clothes lying around all day, or cases piled in the corner for over a week.

Why they couldn’t have put in hidden shelves on either side of the queen Murphy wall bed, like at Riviera, I don’t know. Or just a small unit with drawers in the hall. It rules out SSR for us.
Oddly leaving something in living room storage once we never did again lol. I do think some shelves would be nice. But as a whole the murphy beds in 1 bedrooms means we might use 1 bedrooms in the future. 2 bedrooms no one ever sleeps there for us fortunately. If it is a 1 bedroom it is 1 person who can use storage elsewhere for us. I totally see your point though but never want the couch beds back.

nickys

Premium Member
Again we'll have to agree to disagree on parts. Love OKW. Just prior the lobby didn't do it for me. Rest of the resort is great. New updates I love and new decor. I don't feel Dinsey tried to ruin it. Feels more Key West to me now.

Oddly leaving something in living room storage once we never did again lol. I do think some shelves would be nice. But as a whole the murphy beds in 1 bedrooms means we might use 1 bedrooms in the future. 2 bedrooms no one ever sleeps there for us fortunately. If it is a 1 bedroom it is 1 person who can use storage elsewhere for us. I totally see your point though but never want the couch beds back.
It isn’t the replacement of the couch beds that is the problem. It’s the addition of the single Murphy bed in place of a dresser. How do they think 3 people can sleep in that area with nowhere to store stuff?

On paper it should work for us. Youngest is very light and could sleep on that single Murphy with eldest on the wall bed. But I am not putting up with their stuff lying around for 2 weeks. Hard no for us.

correcaminos

It isn’t the replacement of the couch beds that is the problem. It’s the addition of the single Murphy bed in place of a dresser. How do they think 3 people can sleep in that area with nowhere to store stuff?

On paper it should work for us. Youngest is very light and could sleep on that single Murphy with eldest on the wall bed. But I am not putting up with their stuff lying around for 2 weeks. Hard no for us.
I know it's not the placement of the couch beds. I wasn't saying that at all

Just that the large Murphy bed is a bonus. Losing storage far outweighs that for us. Especially since I left things in that storage once lol

Fortunately we do not use that area like that. We find other places to store. But most of my stuff hangs so drawers are not things I need.

nickys

Premium Member
I know it's not the placement of the couch beds. I wasn't saying that at all

Just that the large Murphy bed is a bonus. Losing storage far outweighs that for us. Especially since I left things in that storage once lol

Fortunately we do not use that area like that. We find other places to store. But most of my stuff hangs so drawers are not things I need.
There is a lot of disquiet about it. And wording on the points charts that suggest the “sleeps 5” in a refurbished 1-bed is not guaranteed. I know there are some of the 1-beds that did not have the single Murphy added.

correcaminos

There is a lot of disquiet about it. And wording on the points charts that suggest the “sleeps 5” in a refurbished 1-bed is not guaranteed. I know there are some of the 1-beds that did not have the single Murphy added.
Oh really? I admit I totally didn't pay attention to what happened in SSR due to my well known dislike of the resort. Fortunately we wouldn't need sleep for 5 but still. I had no clue they cheaped out and missed the single Murphy

Club Cooloholic

Really, some 1-beds didn't get the single Murphy? I thought they all did?

nickys

Premium Member
I’ve read reports where they didn’t have the single Murphy bed. One of them was a well-known touring plans “liner” who definitely had an refurbed room but didn’t have the single pull-down, they had the old dresser instead. Not sure if it was an issue with running out of the Murphy beds or what; I think that happened at the Poly with the queen size Murphy beds too.

Club Cooloholic

I’ve read reports where they didn’t have the single Murphy bed. One of them was a well-known touring plans “liner” who definitely had an refurbed room but didn’t have the single pull-down, they had the old dresser instead. Not sure if it was an issue with running out of the Murphy beds or what; I think that happened at the Poly with the queen size Murphy beds too.
If you can DM me the link to that would love to read it! I am going to SSR in June and the single murphy was a big reason, I wonder if I should avoid the last buildings they refurbed.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If you can DM me the link to that would love to read it! I am going to SSR in June and the single murphy was a big reason, I wonder if I should avoid the last buildings they refurbed.
We were in a 1 bedroom in the Grandstand section in October last year, and had the single murphy. I had though that Grandstand was one of the last to be refurbed? Could be wrong.

IMG_2956.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG

Club Cooloholic

We were in a 1 bedroom in the Grandstand section in October last year, and had the single murphy. I had though that Grandstand was one of the last to be refurbed? Could be wrong.

View attachment 621130 View attachment 621131
I was actually thinking of requesting Grandstand as it is seems closer to the main buildings and pool than a lot of the other standard locations. Pics look great, love the floors!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I was actually thinking of requesting Grandstand as it is seems closer to the main buildings and pool than a lot of the other standard locations. Pics look great, love the floors!
When we stay at SSR that's where we have stayed every time for the last 15 years. It just has everything going for it. First bus stop to/from the parks. Short walk to the main buildings and to the boat. Also not a bad walk to DS Westside. A quiet pool with a small children play area - and a pool bar open during the day. Just can't go wrong.

We love the refurb, though we loved SSR prior to that. Our home resort and one of our favorites. We prefer the quiet after a park day, and it fits the bill nicely. We also like spending time at DS for shopping and restaurants, so perfect for that.

nickys

Premium Member
Carousel was the last section to be refurbed.

I did manage to find out that some of the handicapped accessible rooms did not have the twin Murphy put in. It’s possible the report was of one of those rooms, albeit they hadn’t requested one. Getting one of those is a possibility wherever you request and whether standard or preferred. I’ll see if I can find the specific trip report though.

i<3riviera

I had the same question ...
I did manage to find out that some of the handicapped accessible rooms did not have the twin Murphy put in.
... but I could see this being the case

the BWV accessible (wheelchair specifically) deluxe studio we were in did have a twin murphy; maybe they got feedback about spacing so adapted other resorts; now I'm curious if the same is true elsewhere!

correcaminos

PVB was finished with queen murphy beds last I knew. They simply halted the refurb in some rooms as they waited on supplies.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I was at SSR February of 2020. In the Springs section. When the bellhop brought our bags in he excitedly showed us the refurbishment. Then he got to where the single pull down bed should be and it wasnt there. Just a dresser. He commented he had not been in that room yet and assumed there was no pull down bed because we were part of a lock off and there was not enough room for the bed with the door there. This is what he said, I have no idea if it is true or false.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom