DVC Studios: What do you think of these options?

Weather_Lady

We're not returning to WDW until May 2014, but it's never too early to plan, right?

This time around, we are looking at staying in a deluxe villa, studio room, on rented DVC points. (We'd love a 1-BR suite, but even at rental rates, the cost is prohibitive for us). We'll be relying on Disney transportation and primarily visiting the MK and Epcot, so proximity to those parks is a huge plus. I had some questions for those who have stayed in a studio before (regardless of whether you rented DVC points, or purchased your stay through Disney -- these are questions about the rooms rather than the DVC experience).

1 - Will a studio be big enough for a family of four (me, DH, and 2 kids, who will then be 5 and 7)? We would be renting somewhere with the queen bed + fold-out sofa setup, and would be using the room only for sleeping and afternoon siestas. We pack light and won't be bringing much additional "stuff." In the past, we've stayed in standard rooms at moderates, and felt they offered us plenty of room, but the studios actually look like a tighter fit from the pictures. For those who've slept on the fold-out sofa, was it reasonably comfortable for both kids and adults?

2 - Is a deluxe studio that much better than, say, a standard room in a moderate? (I am aware of the differences in housekeeping services with a DVC rental...) In your view, what are the "extras" that come with staying in a deluxe accommodation, aside from, in some cases, the more favorable location and/or transportation options? Will the deluxe treatment and air of privilege cause us to inadvertently pick up fancy habits, like crooking our pinkies when we drink tea? ;)

3 - The places that interest us most are: Animal Kingdom Lodge (least expensive by far and has good restaurants, although we don't like how remote it is when we'll be depending on buses), Boardwalk or Beach Club (walking distance to Epcot and good restaurants), Wilderness Lodge (our favorite theme) and Bay Lake Towers (walking distance to MK, on the monorail, sushi!). If you have stayed in a studio at any of these, I'd love to know your thoughts and/or comparisons.

Thanks in advance!

PolynesianPrincess

We stayed in a studio at WL in May. There were 3 of us ladies, all over the age of 21. I did not sleep on the pull out sofa so I can't speak for it's comfort but the room had plenty of space with the sofa folded up. We had TONS of stuff because we drove and didn't have to worry about fitting everything into one bag to check on the flight and one carry-on. We loved it and are hopefully planning to rent DVC points again for ours stays in September and November.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The studios and deluxe studios are not much more than your average Disney resort room with a slightly larger bathroom, mini-kitchen and a couch that folds out into a bed. If you are OK is a standard room at a place like the WL, AKL or the moderates then a studio will be fine. If you want something larger you are going to need to go with a 1 bedroom.

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I don't have kids, so I can't really speak to whether or not it will be enough space for you all, but I have slept on the sofa bed, and I would not call it uncomfortable at all.

I'm a DVC member, so it's a very long time since I've stayed at a moderate and don't really know how the room size would compare. I'm pretty sure, though, that the mod room includes 2 queen beds, so when the sofabed is folded up, you'll probably enjoy the extra space. And I do know that if you're going to watch tv in the room at all (even if it's just over breakfast), it's much nicer to do that seated on a couch than on the bed. IMO, of course.

I've stayed in studios in each of the resorts you named, and you seem to have nailed the high points of each of the resorts. Below are some thoughts, but if you have any particular questions, fire away!

I did enjoy staying at AKL. Yes, it is pretty far away from everything, and the bus service can be a little spotty, but I don't think its buses are any worse than OKW or Boardwalk (I've waited a pretty long time for a bus to MK at the BW)

Continuing that point, BW and BC cannot be beat if you're spending most of your time in Epcot or DHS. However, if you're going to MK, you're at the mercy of the bus schedule.

I liked BLT a lot. However, I think their studios are a bit smaller than the rest, and the bathroom/kitchenette is laid out funny. There is no counterspace to speak of in the bathroom, so there's a mirror with a counter in front of it at the back of the kitchen. Odd. It was fine for two of us, but I'm not sure I'd want that studio with kids.

Upvote 0

Bparso87

I just got back from AKL with my first vacation as a DVC member. I just got enough points to do studios. I have a 4 yr and a 6 yr old kids and it was fine. It has more then enough room for us. I will have to get more points in a few years but right now studios is the way to go for us.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

If you are going to rent points and plan on staying on AKL using the Standard view studio you will need to probably have it booked at the 11 month mark. Those rooms go quick since it is the lowest amount of points to stay at. Next is OKW which still a great resort with low points as well.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Studio rooms are quite small. The other issue is the 2nd bed is a pull out sofa that is harder than the floor. I would never do a DVC studio again. If I did though, I would bring an air mattress for whoever is not on the queen bed.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

We stayed at the AKL KV this past Saturday with 3 adults. It was a tighter fit than we expected, but not a deal breaker. We came from GF so that might be why it felt small, but the lack of space when the bed was folded out was pretty bad. We ended up keeping the couch folded and one of us just slept on the floor while the other took the couch, this was an alright option and offered much more space. The regular couch (folded in) was much comfier than the folded out couch (I'm pretty short so I always get the couch bed). It is nowhere near as comfy as the fold down couch at GF though. If your kids swim then by all means go to AKL, they have a kids play area at the pool and it's actually really nice for them.

Overall I think if we were to do it again I would stay at POR rather than the lodge. The two full beds are nice and the fold down bed definitely saves a ton of space (also two sinks!). I don't see much of a difference at the "deluxe" resorts (except BLT that place is awesome.... who wouldn't love being attached to a monorail concourse?). I actually feel less "crooked pinkie" at DVC than Moderates, I don't know why but I always feel a bit awkward with the whole "Here are your keys have fun in this rented condo" situation.

At the end of the day the busses weren't THAT bad, I guess I was expecting an incredibly long ride that just turned out to be moderate. I think that the ride from OKW was longer than the one from AKL sometimes. As a suggestion I would stay at Kidani Village rather than Jambo house if you are doing AKL, it is the first bus pickup spot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom