DVC Shop Rentals

cubs9911

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

We were looking to rent DVC points. The website DVC Shop Rentals has confirmed reservations and there are a few that fit our dates that look like really good deals. I was wondering if anyone has used this website before for confirmed reservations? How did it work out? I just want to make sure that this site is legit. I have seen a lot of people talk about David's rental and DVC Rental Store, but I haven't heard a lot about DVC Shop Rentals.

Thanks!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Hi everyone,

We were looking to rent DVC points. The website DVC Shop Rentals has confirmed reservations and there are a few that fit our dates that look like really good deals. I was wondering if anyone has used this website before for confirmed reservations? How did it work out? I just want to make sure that this site is legit. I have seen a lot of people talk about David's rental and DVC Rental Store, but I haven't heard a lot about DVC Shop Rentals.

Thanks!
DVC Shop is a moderately well regarded resale site that only very recently got into rentals, so I doubt you’ll find people with first hand experience. I can’t 100% guarantee it’s legit because who can, but they’ve been around and they’re well known.

nickys

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I know of a couple of people (over on Touring Plans) who have rented confirmed reservations from them, and both said it all went smoothly.

Derek071380

We just put or deposit down on a 7 night stay that was just confirmed. When we asked about a rental agreement, they said they do not provide one. Now we are feeling kinda sketch like we may have just got hustled. It seems most of the other rental companies provide one. What is to stop the dvc member from canceling the reservation or changing the name and walking with our money? Please make me feel comfortable that this place isn't a scam.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Is your reservation linked in your MDE account? If it is and you have a confirmation number, you “manage” the reservation and are the only one able to cancel it.
That is not true for DVC. Owners are the only one who can make changes or cancel - linked or not. Those managing but not the owner, cannot even make room requests outside of what is listed at check in online.

correcaminos

We just put or deposit down on a 7 night stay that was just confirmed. When we asked about a rental agreement, they said they do not provide one. Now we are feeling kinda sketch like we may have just got hustled. It seems most of the other rental companies provide one. What is to stop the dvc member from canceling the reservation or changing the name and walking with our money? Please make me feel comfortable that this place isn't a scam.
How did you pay the deposit? I would never give money without a rental agreement unless a super close friend or family is renting. There is nothing to keep them from canceling - sorry.

I will look into this place and see what is found. Hang in there.

correcaminos

So an owner of rented points could cancel and remove the renter’s confirmed reservation from MDE?
Yes! Always has been that way too which is why it can be risky to rent. Also why both renters and rentees should do contracts. Protects both actually if payment is not made in full up front. I take it you are not a DVC owner and just a renter?

ETA: I also want to add the rare Disney can cancel a reservation too if owner is behind on mortgage or MFs.

Last edited:

correcaminos

So reading up on this more, the site seems to be 100% legit. I would ask what happens if the renter tries to pull something though for my piece of mind. But yes, most sites have contracts and they are really missing out on a security aspect. I don’t think it's sketchy, just not great business practices.

Derek071380

Yes, we are renters. We received a confirmation number and I was able to check that our names are indeed on the reservation. So to my understanding..no matter which rental company you go with you always run the risk of the owner canceling or changing the name. They said that if we don't receive the room they will issue a complete refund and that PayPal, who is their payment processor would protect us as well. We didn't pay through PayPal, so I don't see how they would protect us. And without a bill of sale or rental agreement, I don't see how we could prove it to our credit card company.So we are left taking their word for it. I attached below a screenshot of their FAQ to potential dvc member where they said they would create a rental agreement with the renter. The only thing we received from them after the room was booked was the confirmation number and a copy of the booking sheet we filled out with desired dates/resort/guest names before the points or owner had even been located, let alone booked.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331-091057_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331-091057_Gmail.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

correcaminos

Yes, we are renters. We received a confirmation number and I was able to check that our names are indeed on the reservation. So to my understanding..no matter which rental company you go with you always run the risk of the owner canceling or changing the name. They said that if we don't receive the room they will issue a complete refund and that PayPal, who is their payment processor would protect us as well. We didn't pay through PayPal, so I don't see how they would protect us. And without a bill of sale or rental agreement, I don't see how we could prove it to our credit card company.So we are left taking their word for it. I attached below a screenshot of their FAQ to potential dvc member where they said they would create a rental agreement with the renter. The only thing we received from them after the room was booked was the confirmation number and a copy of the booking sheet we filled out with desired dates/resort/guest names before the points or owner had even been located, let alone booked.
My asking about renters was not for you but the PP who seems less familiar with DVC as a whole.

Yes, any company can run the risk. Sometimes it is simply being behind on payments. Others more shady. I know other companies do work to make sure you are taken care of and are not out of the money. Paypal is actually used as a go through so PayPal will have a record of your transaction. That part I would not worry about.

I might push back saying their own FAQ has a rental agreement and they should provide one. If not do all contact in email as proof.

Again not shady to me but not best practice. I would not think you've been scammed.

Club Cooloholic

I am hoping that maybe on the owners end there is some sort of contractual agreement that they enter into when they lost the points with the company so that might be the reason you don't have to do anything. That's said a refund is all fine and good but not very useful if you are already there or have flights booked lol. My bet though is that confirmed reservations are the BEST ones to do. These are trips the owner was probably going to do themselves or another renter backed out of and it's too late to bank the points or the owner can't rebook for themselves. I think the owners are just glad to make something from them.

Minthorne

I’m a DVC owner but I’ve rented from others a few times. While it is true there is a risk, I still have found far more many good people than bad. I believe you will have a great trip. I certainly hope you do.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I don't personally worry when going through a vendor. In my experience I'm paying in full up front and contract only does things like oblige me if causing damages.

I don't know if it's universal but I thinn most states allow for informal contracts and contracting through email. In these rentals It's very clear what is rented (resort and room type), dates, price, etc. And it's also very clear that a payment is made and that the payment is for the agreed room, date price, etc. I can't imagine a court not seeing a contract for the reservation itself. It's also clear enough, with some small hurdles, to show if the reservation was provided or not.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has used DVC shop resales to purchase a resale contracts.
Bee Thaxton runs the resales side and while I've never purchased from DVC Shop I've known Bee a few years from different Facebook groups and talked with her on the phone for resale vs. direct advice. I then purchased resale from another company that had a better contract for us. I'd trust them with a resale, and ultimately if you're buying then you can choose the title company you want to work with and they'll do much of the legwork.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Bee Thaxton runs the resales side and while I've never purchased from DVC Shop I've known Bee a few years from different Facebook groups and talked with her on the phone for resale vs. direct advice. I then purchased resale from another company that had a better contract for us. I'd trust them with a resale, and ultimately if you're buying then you can choose the title company you want to work with and they'll do much of the legwork.
Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom