DVC Savvy? Please Translate

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I am looking at a DVC resale,
And these are the points with sell year.
What does this mean exactly...that there are 320 points right now and 160 banked? Especially since it's already 2018?

December
2017 - 320, 160 Banked
2018- 160
2019- 160

Minthorne

Dec 2017 points are good until nov 30 2018
The contract has 160 points from dec 2017 that could still be banked into dec 2018 and 160 points from dec 2016 that were banked into dec 2017 and will expire if not used by 11/30/2018.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Dec 2017 points are good until nov 30 2018
The contract has 160 points from dec 2017 that could still be banked into dec 2018 and 160 points from dec 2016 that were banked into dec 2017 and will expire if not used by 11/30/2018.
So, you would have to use 160 points by 11/2018 but could bank 160 to be used in dec/18 to nov/19 so you would then have 320 that year?

Minthorne

So, you would have to use 160 points by 11/2018 but could bank 160 to be used in dec/18 to nov/19 so you would then have 320 that year?

Yes. Note the 160 dec 2017 points you could bank need to be banked at least 5 months before they expire.

dreamfinder

They elected not to use the points last year. DVC owners can bank, borrow or use their points. Banking means they say we won't travel this year but will go next year. Borrowing means using next years points this year. Using should be fairly obvious. You can only bank/borrow one years in either direction, and once banked/borrowed, they expire at the end of year they were brought into.

So that particular contract might go for a little more than one without the banked points as you essentially get a vacation for free.

nickys

Premium Member
I really urge you to do some research on how DVC works and make sure you understand things like Use Year, Banking, Borrowing and so on before you buy.

It's so much better to go in with a good understanding than be having to ask all these questions when trying to book for the first time.

There is good information on the whole process on sites such as Mouseowners, which are run by and for DVC members, and an active forum.

slappy magoo

I really urge you to do some research on how DVC works and make sure you understand things like Use Year, Banking, Borrowing and so on before you buy.

Couldn't...asking questions on this forum constitute "research?"

To the OP, @pjkdog pretty much summed it up, maybe with one exception (now *I* need to do my research and I own points!)
The owner didn't use his/her 2016 points, so they were "banked." They were usable starting on 12/1/17, and must be used by 11/30/18

The 2017 points are ready to be used. Whoever the owner is or winds up being can opt to use them or bank them...but according to the DVC site right now, you have 4 months to bank your points, not 5. So since December is the use year, the owner has until the end of August to opt to bank points.

If you become the owner, and plan to book a trip this year (before the end of November), you'd use the banked points first. If that's not enough points, you could dip into your 2017 points. (Note - if you didn't want to dip into your 2017 points, DVC members are allowed to purchase "one-time-use" points, I think they're $17 a point now. You can rent up to 24 points each use year. So if you planned a trip that required 180 points but didn't want to touch the 2017 points, you could spend $340 for one-time-use points, and bank all of the 2017 points...by the end of August).

If you wanted to book a total blowout of a vacation, you could use all of the banked points from 2016, all of your 2017 points AND borrow from the 2018 points, giving you 480 to work with...or 504 if you needed any more and bought one-time-use points. And if you're careful about when and how you use them, such a trip could start at the end of November, but extend into December because only the banked 2016 points need to be used by the end of November, you'd just be banking the 2017 points so they could be used on 12/1/18 when they;d otherwise expire.

Hope that helps.

nickys

Premium Member
Couldn't...asking questions on this forum constitute "research?"

To the OP, @pjkdog pretty much summed it up, maybe with one exception (now *I* need to do my research and I own points!)
The owner didn't use his/her 2016 points, so they were "banked." They were usable starting on 12/1/17, and must be used by 11/30/18

The 2017 points are ready to be used. Whoever the owner is or winds up being can opt to use them or bank them...but according to the DVC site right now, you have 4 months to bank your points, not 5. So since December is the use year, the owner has until the end of August to opt to bank points.

If you become the owner, and plan to book a trip this year (before the end of November), you'd use the banked points first. If that's not enough points, you could dip into your 2017 points. (Note - if you didn't want to dip into your 2017 points, DVC members are allowed to purchase "one-time-use" points, I think they're $17 a point now. You can rent up to 24 points each use year. So if you planned a trip that required 180 points but didn't want to touch the 2017 points, you could spend $340 for one-time-use points, and bank all of the 2017 points...by the end of August).

If you wanted to book a total blowout of a vacation, you could use all of the banked points from 2016, all of your 2017 points AND borrow from the 2018 points, giving you 480 to work with...or 504 if you needed any more and bought one-time-use points. And if you're careful about when and how you use them, such a trip could start at the end of November, but extend into December because only the banked 2016 points need to be used by the end of November, you'd just be banking the 2017 points so they could be used on 12/1/18 when they;d otherwise expire.

Hope that helps.

And your answer shows why the use Year and banking trips up so many people...

A December use Year means points are added 1st December and need to be used by 30th November.

You need to bank 4 months before. So from end Nov to end Oct is 1 month; to end Sept is 2; to end Aug is 3; to end July is 4. Meaning those points need to be banked by end of July.

Understanding Use Year is crucial to DVC.

And yes, asking questions here can help understanding, but it's best to sit down and read about things like Use Year from one clear post or 'sticky'. This forum is great, but not in any way a "go to" for DVC information IMO.

slappy magoo

And your answer shows why the use Year and banking trips up so many people...

A December use Year means points are added 1st December and need to be used by 30th November.

You need to bank 4 months before. So from end Nov to end Oct is 1 month; to end Sept is 2; to end Aug is 3; to end July is 4. Meaning those points need to be banked by end of July.

Understanding Use Year is crucial to DVC.

And yes, asking questions here can help understanding, but it's best to sit down and read about things like Use Year from one clear post or 'sticky'. This forum is great, but not in any way a "go to" for DVC information IMO.

In my head I was thinking about writing either "end of July" or "beginning of August." My fingers must have decided to split the differenceIn my head I was thinking about writing either "end of July" or "beginning of August." My fingers must have decided to split the difference. But thanks for the clarification and for helping out the OP with the necessary research.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom