DVC Resale Question

Schweino

Original Poster
Hey yall. When purchasing DVC resale, how does that work with the new additions to GF and future Poly? I understand that resale can't be used at Riviera (unless buying a RR specific contract), but not clear how the resales work with those new units that are here/coming.

TIA!

nickys

Premium Member
The new “resort studios” at GFV are part of the existing condo association. That means they are treated the same as the existing GFV, so you can book them with resale points.

We don’t yet know about the Poly.

If they create a new condo association, they will be a new DVC resort (like Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek) and subject to the same restrictions at Riviera. If they are added to the existing PVB condo association then there won’t be the same restrictions.

Until they confirm one way or the other there is no way to tell what they will do. We can expect them to announce it probably around 3 months or so before they go on sale.

Schweino

Original Poster
Thanks @nickys. I could be misinterpreting, but does BR/CC have restrictions from resale? I thought only RR carried the restrictions

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks @nickys. I could be misinterpreting, but does BR/CC have restrictions from resale? I thought only RR carried the restrictions
You’re correct, only Riviera is currently restricted (although the new DL resort which is underway will also be restricted).

I was using BRV and CCV as an example of two different condo associations both at the same resort. If that was to happen, then the new Poly Tower would be subject to the restrictions.

correcaminos

You’re correct, only Riviera is currently restricted (although the new DL resort which is underway will also be restricted).

I was using BRV and CCV as an example of two different condo associations both at the same resort. If that was to happen, then the new Poly Tower would be subject to the restrictions.
If they write it in that way. New association won't automatically mean anything with the way these were written. Just like DLT could be different and not subjected to it

nickys

Premium Member
If they write it in that way. New association won't automatically mean anything with the way these were written. Just like DLT could be different and not subjected to it

That would be backtracking on what they said.

But it’s possible.

correcaminos

That would be backtracking on what they said.

But it’s possible.
Wouldn't be a first. The resale thing is problematic. I think there is a reason why we got VGF the way we did. Head of DVC also swapped out faster than usual after it. Reflections shut down in building but we got 2 WDW DVC that could conveniently be added to old associations? Me thinks they were testing waters and trying to figure out what the next step would be.

But reality is no new association has to be written like RR was. They didn't make a change that has to be followed by all.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Care to share your reasons?
I think if it's a new association then it would follow the Riviera path and have the same restrictions and I think it'd be very difficult to avoid confusion between the two. Not that Disney needs to care about resale but resale buyers need to keep on top of which Poly to buy to avoid restrictions would be confusing.

I think Disney wants to be able to sell the bungalows as a feature for a single association. It'd be weird to tell people they need to buy into the *other* Poly if wanting to stay in bungalow, and then tell the person if they do that it's bungalow, studio, or bust. It worked at Poly for a long time because there were no other options, but expanded room types benefits everyone and making people choose "bungalow and studio" between "studio and 1, 2, 3 bedrooms" seems unnecessary when alternative is taking people that they can stay in any of the accommodations on property. People love studios and expansion into the existing association allows plenty of options for Poly 1 owners wanting bigger rooms to book expansion rooms and new owners more access to freed-up Poly 1 studios. Conjecture, but they could go lighter on expansion studios to make more 1, 2, and 3 bedroom rooms. More 1 bedrooms at twice the studio cost works because Disney gets the same points (revenue) per square foot as a studio, where they seem to make a lot of money. If any studios in the expansion and it's the same association I think they'll need to differentiate from Poly 1, perhaps by removing the half bath or otherwise keeping Poly 1 attractive for a different group, similar to some differences between Jambo and Kidani making them attractive for different reasons.

The only real reason to make it a new association is that they did it with Riviera but we've already seen them expand VGF and fold into existing an association so DVD is not beholden to forcing a new association.

A new association would have a 50 year life but folding into existing association it'd expire sooner. Unsure how Disney does its accounting but they'd make the same money either way (insignificant number of folks with balk solely on number of years when Poly is in the 2060s already), but then they could turn around and resell sooner with an earlier expiration date.

I don't see any reason to go against any of that.

On the other hand I think it's more likely that DLH ends up like Riviera. I think there's some sense behind resale restrictions slowing cost growth but even for me that's really going far the other way. 😄

CaptainAmerica

I think if it's a new association then it would follow the Riviera path and have the same restrictions and I think it'd be very difficult to avoid confusion between the two. Not that Disney needs to care about resale but resale buyers need to keep on top of which Poly to buy to avoid restrictions would be confusing.

I think Disney wants to be able to sell the bungalows as a feature for a single association. It'd be weird to tell people they need to buy into the *other* Poly if wanting to stay in bungalow, and then tell the person if they do that it's bungalow, studio, or bust. It worked at Poly for a long time because there were no other options, but expanded room types benefits everyone and making people choose "bungalow and studio" between "studio and 1, 2, 3 bedrooms" seems unnecessary when alternative is taking people that they can stay in any of the accommodations on property. People love studios and expansion into the existing association allows plenty of options for Poly 1 owners wanting bigger rooms to book expansion rooms and new owners more access to freed-up Poly 1 studios. Conjecture, but they could go lighter on expansion studios to make more 1, 2, and 3 bedroom rooms. More 1 bedrooms at twice the studio cost works because Disney gets the same points (revenue) per square foot as a studio, where they seem to make a lot of money. If any studios in the expansion and it's the same association I think they'll need to differentiate from Poly 1, perhaps by removing the half bath or otherwise keeping Poly 1 attractive for a different group, similar to some differences between Jambo and Kidani making them attractive for different reasons.

The only real reason to make it a new association is that they did it with Riviera but we've already seen them expand VGF and fold into existing an association so DVD is not beholden to forcing a new association.

A new association would have a 50 year life but folding into existing association it'd expire sooner. Unsure how Disney does its accounting but they'd make the same money either way (insignificant number of folks with balk solely on number of years when Poly is in the 2060s already), but then they could turn around and resell sooner with an earlier expiration date.

On the other hand I think it's more likely that DLH ends up like Riviera. I think there's some sense behind resale restrictions slowing cost growth but even for me that's really going far the other way. 😄
I think there's a non-zero (but probably not likely) chance that VDH has no restrictions *and* Riviera drops them. They're hugely unpopular and I think there's a case to be made that they've hurt Riviera sales.

nickys

Premium Member

Those are all good points. Especially about the bungalows.

I’ve forgotten the timeline for now, is it 2024 it’s supposed to be ready? We could have quite a while longer to wait until we find out.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

I’ve forgotten the timeline for now, is it 2024 it’s supposed to be ready? We could have quite a while longer to wait until we find out.
As of D23 it was still 2024 although at that point I don't think they'd cleared the site yet.

correcaminos

Still end of 2024. I would expect sales to be end of 2023 or early 2024. I'm going to guess we'll know sometime next year.

I think more signs point to same association. But I could be wrong. I also agree that there is a better chance that restrictions would drop at RR than this becoming one of those. RR is being so slow to sell compared to some (obviously not Aulani).

AJT607

At today's DVC Condo Association meeting, they showed a photo of the new Poly tower with the words on the slide reading "Polynesian Villas & Bungelows." You can't draw any major conclusions from that, but I think it is the first time we have seen the name of the existing PVB association used in conjunction with the artwork for the new tower - so DVC may be signaling that these additions will be a part of the existing Poly association.

Schweino

Original Poster
Thanks @AJT607 - good to know of where things could be pointing (understood its not official until it is).

We have been discussing this internally for a while and we keep going back and forth and I wish we could come to a decision LOL.

correcaminos

At today's DVC Condo Association meeting, they showed a photo of the new Poly tower with the words on the slide reading "Polynesian Villas & Bungelows." You can't draw any major conclusions from that, but I think it is the first time we have seen the name of the existing PVB association used in conjunction with the artwork for the new tower - so DVC may be signaling that these additions will be a part of the existing Poly association.
Thank you! I am busy with work and been slowly trying to sift through info about the meeting and hadn't made it there yet.

That actually aligns with what the DVC CMs told me in March of this year - that it was presented as more PVB not new PVB. But of course it can change but it sounds like that's their intent for now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom