DVC Rentals - Contemporary vs. Poly vs. Grand Floridian

If I was going to have a quick trip to WDW and stay at an MK area DVC resort, I would stay at....

• Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters

homerdance

If you have an AP, it is sometimes cheaper to get the AP discount at a hotel vs. renting points.

Also, i can attest that the studios in BLT are small, they feel smaller than Values with 3 or more people.
Also, transportation from the Deluxe resorts that requires a bus is the worst. A bus from BLT to anywhere is terribly frustrating when you see 10 pops, 2 all stars, and a one of every moderate go in by you as you patiently wait.

Club Cooloholic

When I tried to rent points a week before 11 months out...I was weight listed at both Poly and GF for my dates. I was on the list long enough that the Crescent Lake DVC resorts showed no availability, so I panicked, and booked at BLT which had availability and no weight list.

Just so all can see "demand" for some of these Resorts. I am a little bummed, but it does allow me to eat at The Wave often....a restaurant I do really enjoy.
I can't speak to GF, but in the case of Poly. You might have been better waiting to book at 7 months out. From what I can tell as a DVC owner, there seems to be a decent amount of availability for the Poly vs other crescent lake resorts. My theory is there are not as many owners as I don't think it is sold out yet, and Poly Dvc owners are the only ones who can book out 11 months ahead. Just a theory...?

surfsupdon

I can't speak to GF, but in the case of Poly. You might have been better waiting to book at 7 months out. From what I can tell as a DVC owner, there seems to be a decent amount of availability for the Poly vs other crescent lake resorts. My theory is there are not as many owners as I don't think it is sold out yet, and Poly Dvc owners are the only ones who can book out 11 months ahead. Just a theory...?
Thanks for your thought. It was for Marathon Weekend, which can be crowded lol. I am committed to the race and wanted to secure a room at a Deluxe on the monorail to make race mornings easier.

epcotisbest

When I tried to rent points a week before 11 months out...I was weight listed at both Poly and GF for my dates. I was on the list long enough that the Crescent Lake DVC resorts showed no availability, so I panicked, and booked at BLT which had availability and no weight list.

Just so all can see "demand" for some of these Resorts. I am a little bummed, but it does allow me to eat at The Wave often....a restaurant I do really enjoy.

While I am a little on the heavy side, no one at any Disney resort has ever checked my weight.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks for your thought. It was for Marathon Weekend, which can be crowded lol. I am committed to the race and wanted to secure a room at a Deluxe on the monorail to make race mornings easier.

The only studio I could find for a DVC cash reservation this past January was Poly. Like you, I wanted to be in the MK resort area, which I will for 2020.

correcaminos

PVB has been sold out for over a year. PVB does have the largest amount of studios. For certain times of year (fall through marathon weekend) you are not guaranteed a good shot at any of the resorts on the monorail.

I'm not sure your advice is sound outside of spring and summer.

Club Cooloholic

PVB has been sold out for over a year. PVB does have the largest amount of studios. For certain times of year (fall through marathon weekend) you are not guaranteed a good shot at any of the resorts on the monorail.

I'm not sure your advice is sound outside of spring and summer.
I had not known he was talking about marathon weekend till after my first comment, but yes I agree. Question, why is it it sells out in October so often now. Any idea why?

nickys

Premium Member
I had not known he was talking about marathon weekend till after my first comment, but yes I agree. Question, why is it it sells out in October so often now. Any idea why?

Because mid September to early January is “Fall Frenzy”. Low points charts, Halloween and Christmas parties, Food & Wine are all factors that mean all DVC resorts book out really quickly at this time.

Also DVC operates at 95% full year-round, so when we say busy, we mean it books out faster. Last minute trips are getting harder to book period. And the Poly and CCV have the double whammy of all those points sold against the bungalows / cabins, whereas in reality those owners are looking for studios.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Halloween, F&W are primary reasons, I imagine. Plus, lower points for the same room compared to other times of the year.

I've got a 7 night stay in a one bedroom at BR for W&D in November. Same room during Princess Half for same length stay last month? Nearly 60 points more.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Because mid September to early January is “Fall Frenzy”. Low points charts, Halloween and Christmas parties, Food & Wine are all factors that mean all DVC resorts book out really quickly at this time.

Also DVC operates at 95% full year-round, so when we say busy, we mean it books out faster. Last minute trips are getting harder to book period. And the Poly and CCV have the double whammy of all those points sold against the bungalows / cabins, whereas in reality those owners are looking for studios.

It's hard getting a studio at CC, unless you book right at your 11 month window. I was shocked I got one with 3 months notice.

correcaminos

F&WF predominantly mixed in with fall breaks in October a lot of schools do (ours don't but many do). It's lower point season for DVC as well. BWV & BCV book up first for F&WF, but the next up are the monorail resorts. So VGF, PVB & BLT are next up to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom