DVC Re-Sale Purchase

mhaftman7

Original Poster
My wife and I are considering purchasing a DVC Deed off the re-sale market and found an inexpensive “home” not at WDW. Can we still use the points at WDW? We may also purchase from Disney, but the price point is more than double in some cases.

nickys

Premium Member
My wife and I are considering purchasing a DVC Deed off the re-sale market and found an inexpensive “home” not at WDW. Can we still use the points at WDW? We may also purchase from Disney, but the price point is more than double in some cases.
Yes you can, at 7 months.

A couple of things to be aware of.

Availability at 7 months at some resorts, time of year, type of room can be difficult. DVC peak season runs from October through to January, after the race weekend. The next couple of years will,see a huge strain on availability as people try and use points that have been banked due to the park closures.

And what you pay in maintenance fees will dwarf your up-front contract cost. Both Vero and Hilton’s Head have high maintenance fees due to the potential for flood damage.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I agree with @nickys in that the maintenance fees are higher and, at least for the next 2-3 years, you may be completely locked out of WDW, with the possible exceptions of SSR and OKW during slow DVC periods. Remember that the slower times in the parks, are usually the busiest times for DVC bookings as the point requirements are lower.

Why not buy a SSR, OKW, or AKL resale? Not double the price of direct from Disney, and it at least gets you an on property resort guarantee at 11 months.

Club Cooloholic

Above all? WAIT. DVC performance has been HORRIBLE this year - prompting many people to consider unloading their contracts.

Give it 6 months.... and watch the resale point price drop like a Bolder on HWY 1, California.
I have to agree. I understand COVID has created a bit of a crisis, but I don't think Disney has handled their DVC customers in a great way. Honestly they should be trying to figure out a way to make people spread out their DVC bookings. Maybe extend the current contracts for 1 or 2 more years and let the points roll over, I don't know. It would help if they posted some member specific information. I have no idea when I can or maybe allowed to buy tickets. I spoke with a customer service rep, not the DVC side, yesterday and she agreed its wrong to not ensure that people with DVC reservations aren't allowed to add a ticket.

nickys

Premium Member
I have to agree. I understand COVID has created a bit of a crisis, but I don't think Disney has handled their DVC customers in a great way. Honestly they should be trying to figure out a way to make people spread out their DVC bookings. Maybe extend the current contracts for 1 or 2 more years and let the points roll over, I don't know. It would help if they posted some member specific information. I have no idea when I can or maybe allowed to buy tickets. I spoke with a customer service rep, not the DVC side, yesterday and she agreed its wrong to not ensure that people with DVC reservations aren't allowed to add a ticket.
If they extended the contracts, you’d have to pay maintenance fees for an extra couple of years. Be careful what you wish for.

Nottamus

Maybe extend the current contracts for 1 or 2 more years and let the points roll over, I don't know

Points rollover would be great...Although i know it can never happen...

and it would have been a better alternative to us losing 74 points this year, and who knows what we'll have to deal with next year!

Club Cooloholic

Points rollover would be great...Although i know it can never happen...

and it would have been a better alternative to us losing 74 points this year, and who knows what we'll have to deal with next year!
So my quandry right now is I have reservations for 8 nights(4 at BWV and 4 at Kidani) in November but no tickets :-(
I see they are offering to allow people to bank current reservation points for next year. Did they not allow you to do that with your 74?
If the ticket issue and park reservation makes this too difficult I might bail and bank those points(or at least cancel one of the 4 day ressies) and just do seaworld and Uni.

nickys

Premium Member
So my quandry right now is I have reservations for 8 nights(4 at BWV and 4 at Kidani) in November but no tickets :-(
I see they are offering to allow people to bank current reservation points for next year. Did they not allow you to do that with your 74?
If the ticket issue and park reservation makes this too difficult I might bail and bank those points(or at least cancel one of the 4 day ressies) and just do seaworld and Uni.
Banking rules weren’t changed. They did offer developer points by way of extending already banked points for some people but not all. I would have lost a lot except for the fact I managed to rent most of them out. But many people lost points, in some case more than a year’s worth.

Nottamus

The 74 in question were already banked from 2018, so they only offered to roll into RCI, which we havent done as of yet..

I did just cancel a November 2020 2 week trip and those points were banked safely. We upgraded our April 2021 trip to use more so we wont lose any!

Now, all we have to do, is go in April 2021 now!

Club Cooloholic

The 74 in question were already banked from 2018, so they only offered to roll into RCI, which we havent done as of yet..

I did just cancel a November 2020 2 week trip and those points were banked safely. We upgraded our April 2021 trip to use more so we wont lose any!

Now, all we have to do, is go in April 2021 now!
Yeah I am really not sure what to do. RCI btw may get a bum rap, but there are some pretty cool options in there that can sometimes be as good a value as WDW trip, especially the ski resort ones.

Nottamus

Yeah I am really not sure what to do. RCI btw may get a bum rap, but there are some pretty cool options in there that can sometimes be as good a value as WDW trip, especially the ski resort ones.

Yeah, we did a quick search and found some cool things to maybe do RCI. Especially since the alternative was losing points!

We will see when things open back up and we feel like its OK to travel again!

Phonedave

As others have said, you can only book at resorts that are not where your points are, at the 7 month window.

I used to be in the, buy cheapest (considering purchase and maintenance) camp, up until about 2 or 3 years ago. Since that time, it has become a lot harder to get rooms at the 7 month window. At this point i have changed my recommendation and have to say, if you buy at a non-WDW resort, don't plan on getting a WDW room whenever you want one.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If you still want to go in November, after seeing how reservations have gone the last few days, I’m pretty confident they’ll still have reservations by the time they’re willing to sell you tickets again. If it’s a lost cause no matter what you might as well stick it out and see, IIRC the RCI deadline isn’t until just before the points expire.

aliceismad

I've also been cautiously looking, researching, and number crunching. You should do the math and decide what kind of vacations you want. Vero and Hilton Head contracts look appealing because points are cheaper upfront, but over the life of the contract, you'll spend less if you buy at Saratoga Springs, and possibly others, at WDW.

Club Cooloholic

I think there are gonna be some real deals out there. I had a discussion today with DVC rep if there were going to be any concessions made to DVC owners that have reservations, to maybe allow them to at least purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public. He said he wished, but the DVC side has been left in the dark in everything.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Banking rules weren’t changed. They did offer developer points by way of extending already banked points for some people but not all. I would have lost a lot except for the fact I managed to rent most of them out. But many people lost points, in some case more than a year’s worth.
They did at least loosen the rules on returning borrowed points to the original use year. I cancelled a trip in August and got my 2021 points that I borrowed put back into 2021 use year. My 2020 points can still be banked to 2021. I am currently holding 53 2019 points that must be used by Mar 1, 2021. I’m trying to rent them out now but if that doesn’t work I guess I will just give them to someone to use. I don’t think it’s as easy to only rent 53 points, but I guess I’ll find out. I have no intention to go anywhere near FL anytime soon. I would have been happy if they let me roll those 53 points an extra 6 months but I understand why they won’t. I almost always travel on borrowed points. This was the first time I think I ever had a trip booked with more than a handful of banked points. Bad luck.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've also been cautiously looking, researching, and number crunching. You should do the math and decide what kind of vacations you want. Vero and Hilton Head contracts look appealing because points are cheaper upfront, but over the life of the contract, you'll spend less if you buy at Saratoga Springs, and possibly others, at WDW.
SSR and BLT were the best for maintenance fees but BLT has a higher upfront cost and the MFs have gone up. If you don’t travel at peak DVC times or mind staying at SSR that’s your best bet for total cost. We bought at BLT because we wanted to have it as our home resort and it had lower MFs back in 2011 when we bought in. It was also $90 a point resale. My only regret was not buying twice as many points back then and then renting half my points out each year to cover the MFs on both contracts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom