DVC Points For Cruises

debpeduz

Original Poster
Hello All!
I am beginning my research into my family doing our first Disney cruise!
As DVC members, what’s most beneficial-using points for a cruise or paying by cash? We were thinking doing a short park stay on 1 or both ends of the cruise where we would use our points too. I would also imagine that if you don’t have enough points, you can pay part points/part cash.
I appreciate any tips and advice!

nickys

Premium Member
Hello All!
As DVC members, what’s most beneficial-using points for a cruise or paying by cash? We were thinking doing a short park stay on 1 or both ends of the cruise where we would use our points too. I would also imagine that if you don’t have enough points, you can pay part points/part cash.

Definitely cash. Cruises are a very bad use of points.

Incidentally, you can only use direct points for cruises (or to be strictly accurate, unrestricted points). And I don’t think you can use a mixture of points and cash for a cruise.

Janir

So would it make sense then to say rent out your use year of points for cash and book a cruise with cash similar to say trying to book a WDW non-DVC resort?

EOD K9

I rent my points for cash and use that to pay for the cruise. I will also stay one night on the front and back, sometimes two. I usually will stay in a studio on the front as it’s only one night. We will get a one bedroom on the way home so we can do laundry and go home without any dirty clothes.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
And I don’t think you can use a mixture of points and cash for a cruise.

You can, actually. But the points have to cover one person's complete fare. I once (stupidly) used points for a cruise, and one of us was paid for with points and the other cash. If we didn't have enough points to cover the entire stateroom, we could not have split one person's fare between points and cash.

Now I rent out my points to pay for cruises. :)

Bpmorley

Hello All!
Just found out the hard way, NEVER USE POINTS! thanks to Dorian we may lose 234 points that we used for the cruise

correcaminos

They were only going to give us half back and were forcing us to go on a 2 day cruise. Cash customers could cancel with no issue
But that's not what happened is it? Also I would've suggested calling back had it happened. I get being upset, but seriously being upset over something that didn't happen is a bit much.

Bpmorley

That you aren't losing points. The cruise was cancelled so complaining about a scenario that never came to fruition is pointless to me.
Now I get. I may lose the points. As of now they want us to pick a cruise by the end of this month. From May till Sept i get assigned vacations, the rest of the year we have to bid out. So except for my 2 summer vacation I dont know when I can get off till sometime in December. And we already have things booked for my summer vacations. The cruise we planned was my second summer vacation, so I knew I'd be off.

correcaminos

Now I get. I may lose the points. As of now they want us to pick a cruise by the end of this month. From May till Sept i get assigned vacations, the rest of the year we have to bid out. So except for my 2 summer vacation I dont know when I can get off till sometime in December. And we already have things booked for my summer vacations. The cruise we planned was my second summer vacation, so I knew I'd be off.
You will not lose your points. They cancelled the cruise. You'll get them back. If I remember correctly these have to go through exceptions groups which will take time given the high number of displaced DVC members from that time. I know it sucks to lose a vacation, but the points will be returned. If they don't show up after about 10 days, call and then have them. They'll likely bank them for you too.

Bpmorley

You will not lose your points. They cancelled the cruise. You'll get them back. If I remember correctly these have to go through exceptions groups which will take time given the high number of displaced DVC members from that time. I know it sucks to lose a vacation, but the points will be returned. If they don't show up after about 10 days, call and then have them. They'll likely bank them for you too.
I only get the back as reservation points. Already converted out of DVC. DVC has stated we will not be getting the points back. I can only use them for a cruise or disney collection rooms, not DVC rooms. And I haven't looked in while, but I remember the caribbean beach resort being about 35 points per night. Way over SSR or OKW where they would get used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom