DVC Member Annual Passes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah we have the sorcerers pass too. I don’t want to renew because I don’t think we’ll make it down this year, but I’ll be kicking myself if they don’t bring them back
They’ll either sell…or end it altogether…
So look at it from that angle.

They won’t let renewals leak 5..10 or more years without resuming sales. That makes no sense in any scenario.
Why would they want dwindling numbers of something they have to accommodate for? They know if they just canceled them most (not worth worrying about) would return anyway. House money here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s the same for any DVC member who doesn’t live n Florida. It’s a sore point for the majority of DVC members.

And DVC can’t do anything more than keep bringing it up with Disney.

As for the U.K. aspect, there are lots of things the U.K. Disney site doesn’t offer. We can’t book tours or other “Enchanting Extras”, we can’t look at the StarCruiser pages etc without using a VPN. That’s just how it is, their response to me when I asked why I couldn’t look at the StarCruiser information was that “the U.K. site offers guests information that they consider of interest to us”. In reality they probably just can’t be bothered fully updating the international sites.
Fully agree…

Except it’s hard to convince yourself in the mirror when you’re the same guy

1675257127865.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I started this thread in hopes someone would have some inside knowledge and say “don’t worry APs are definitely coming back” lol
Oh let me clarify: it’s a perfectly legitimate question/thread.

No problems with that.

It just also happens to be a sore subject/hornets nest with a large number of longtime dvc

If I had an opinion - which is rare around here 🤪 - I could give you a theory on the game with APs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The number of DVC members who did not renew APs but actually require APs is not that high. They could easily make a DVC AP product that can only be used when visiting on a Disney resort reservation. It would go such a long way and have no measurable impact to their business or logistics.
Correct.

And it’s really not that hard. This is the classic case of people who don’t know park or resort ops “out thinking themselves”

You make a dvc pass…doesn’t even have to be “cheap”…say…25% more than Florida resident…maybe more. Or close to the regular on the street AP.

It would be good enough…Florida people wouldn’t cry for it…and it’s a selling point for dvc that is not selling well now.

Really not that tough. Dvc rooms are mostly full anyway…it’s not like this would bring on a “crunch”….
They’re there anyway …they’re spending more on the profitable stuff. They’re less angry.

Wheel reinvention time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I maintained mine during covid, but when they resumed sales I was at a point where I wasn't going for about 8 months so I let it expire. Then they stopped selling.
A good way to get a new one is just look 4 days after I leave on a regular ticket…worked liked a charm in 2021 😎

I thought they were gonna do it again to me last month…but I didn’t hit the daily double 😂

Minthorne

This got me to send an email to DVC - I'll post if I get a response:

Is DVC working with Parks to resume access for Annual Passes for members?

As a member I like to visit the parks when we travel, but I've been finding myself thinking of planning a trip to SSR and skipping the Disney Parks and instead traveling to use my Universal Annual Pass (it's about the same rideshare distance as a bus to the MK) since I am not able to get a new Disney AP as a DVC member. With the current park offerings I don't see the value in the gate ticket prices.

Hoping to hear some news on this and that DVC isn't becoming just a vacation home base for other central Florida attractions. I guess having SSR as one of my home resorts does make that a bit easier though and that Epic Universe sounds pretty amazing! May just need to bank a bunch of point for a stay when that opens!

Thanks for any insight you can provide that I can share with my online DVC friends!

DVCmemberUK

Original Poster
This got me to send an email to DVC - I'll post if I get a response:

Is DVC working with Parks to resume access for Annual Passes for members?

As a member I like to visit the parks when we travel, but I've been finding myself thinking of planning a trip to SSR and skipping the Disney Parks and instead traveling to use my Universal Annual Pass (it's about the same rideshare distance as a bus to the MK) since I am not able to get a new Disney AP as a DVC member. With the current park offerings I don't see the value in the gate ticket prices.

Hoping to hear some news on this and that DVC isn't becoming just a vacation home base for other central Florida attractions. I guess having SSR as one of my home resorts does make that a bit easier though and that Epic Universe sounds pretty amazing! May just need to bank a bunch of point for a stay when that opens!

Thanks for any insight you can provide that I can share with my online DVC friends!
Hello from the UK.
I hoped that my initial post would get other DVC members interested, thank you for sending the email. As an international member I have never got anywhere with DVC over issues like being unable to take out the travel insurance that other members can, or the points that I 'lost' due to not being allowed to visit the USA until November 2021, or barred from entering competitions. Hopefully you will get a positive response, but it does seem to be odd that not all American members are being treated equally, are we not all supposed to be valued 'super fans'.
DVCmemberUk.

nickys

Premium Member
Hello from the UK.
I hoped that my initial post would get other DVC members interested, thank you for sending the email. As an international member I have never got anywhere with DVC over issues like being unable to take out the travel insurance that other members can, or the points that I 'lost' due to not being allowed to visit the USA until November 2021, or barred from entering competitions. Hopefully you will get a positive response, but it does seem to be odd that not all American members are being treated equally, are we not all supposed to be valued 'super fans'.
DVCmemberUk.
The competitions are a licensing issue. I agree it’s annoying to miss out on them but I’ve come to accept that DVC can’t really do anything about our licensing laws. It may be that DVC could register for a gaming licence but it’s likely not worth it for the relatively small number of U.K. members; equally though they may not be able to register.

The Covid points is a sore point with me. I asked a couple of times and was told the6 couldn’t do anything. I did rent them out privately and was fine with that….. until I read that they reversed their position and effectively gave some international members an extra 18 months to use their points. ☹️ It seems if you stamped your feet loud enough they gave in. That was what annoyed me. I would much rather have been able to use them myself.

We can take out the same insurance though. Not that it really works for us, but it is possible. It only covers the maintenance fees on the points you lose if you have to cancel. And because I tend to bank and borrow, using 3 years worth of points at once I’d have to pay three premiums, which makes it not worthwhile. Especially since we’ve taken trips at the beginning of our use year which gives time to rent the points out if necessary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Travel insurance, sweepstakes, expired points make a lot more sense from a restriction standpoint. Dvc operates under a different travel system - after all. So it’s not apples to oranges there.

Passes are something different.
As the praetorian guard will readily point out: all you get are your points by contract. We’re not granted any rights to tickets, passes, discounts, privileges by default.

None of that is strange. It makes sense. As the proprietor wasn’t going to lock themselves into any commitments with variable, additional costs.

Now from a practical and business perspective…it’s completely stupid to not grant passes for dvc.
Just dumb. Your talking about your most loyal, captive audience…and tickets aren’t for profit - they’re a gateway for you to spend more and generate ridiculous profits.
That’s the Disney parks model…that’s why it works. It’s like fishing with dynamite.

And it’s not the “negative” versions that the idiot bobs talk about at symposiums.
Those are the people that move to four corners cause they’re Disney obsessed and just kinda hang around the parks…couple times a week for a few hours.

Dvc members aren’t that. Now there are some that got in early and really made out and they are not happy with the ridiculous price escalation. It’s human nature. But you know what a “human” response is? You give them their pass and tables in wonderland and shut them up. And then you solidify that block for good times and bad…sell more timeshares.

Iger claims he hasn’t lost it…so do the simple stuff, Bob. You put more characters into the park…more college program…free parking at a $400 a night hotel…
Yay, Bob.
Now go a little further. Stop being a clown.
The stock is what it is….if you turn off your park customers? It will BE absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I have been told that this problem doesn't impact a significant number of members to warrant any changes since APs will return this year anyways
It is truly amazing the glacial pace at which TWDC operates.

There are so many pieces of low hanging fruit that Disney can immediately and painlessly address and boost guest satisfaction and spending without any meaningful impact.

DVCmemberUK

Original Poster
The competitions are a licensing issue. I agree it’s annoying to miss out on them but I’ve come to accept that DVC can’t really do anything about our licensing laws. It may be that DVC could register for a gaming licence but it’s likely not worth it for the relatively small number of U.K. members; equally though they may not be able to register.

The Covid points is a sore point with me. I asked a couple of times and was told the6 couldn’t do anything. I did rent them out privately and was fine with that….. until I read that they reversed their position and effectively gave some international members an extra 18 months to use their points. ☹️ It seems if you stamped your feet loud enough they gave in. That was what annoyed me. I would much rather have been able to use them myself.

We can take out the same insurance though. Not that it really works for us, but it is possible. It only covers the maintenance fees on the points you lose if you have to cancel. And because I tend to bank and borrow, using 3 years worth of points at once I’d have to pay three premiums, which makes it not worthwhile. Especially since we’ve taken trips at the beginning of our use year which gives time to rent the points out if necessary.
Hi nickys,
I have squealed loudly in the past about being treated differently as an international member, letters to Terri Schultz the previous VP. Her staff talked to me about numerous issues;
The competition issue is due to UK tax rules apparently and that they were going to look at comps for overseas members only. Yeh right.
The insurance issue is different. I have had to use it twice, the death of a family member and a missed connection flight back home, where I was fully compensated with cash which also included lost points. The insurance provider does not now insure overseas members, i asked them.
The covid issue is a really sore point. My banked 2019 points and some other unused points total 118, which DVC will not budge on, will have to go into the new RCI replacement, they will not compensate me or offer to buy them, something which was offered to US members. When I did book for 2022, the limitations used by DVC meant that I could not use surplus points ( to reduce the 118 points) for a larger accommodation or a different resort as they were full, due to not being able to enter the US until November 2021. I did say that DVC had become a two tier membership, which they refuted. My reply was that actions speak louder than words.
The wife wants to sell up and buy into Margaritaville Orlando!

nickys

Premium Member
I hadn’t heard of members being compensated for lost points, that’s surprising. Once the resorts re-opened their mantra was that they could use their points again. They did allow borrowed points to go back into their original use year, which we took advantage of. It benefited us at the time although we had to cancel again so rented them out.

I can understand your frustration. I hadn’t realised there was normal travel insurance open to DVC members, other than the cover that purely covers the dues on lost points. However the fact that a company decides not to cover overseas guests isn’t DVC’s fault. We’ve had to claim on our U.K. insurance and we got everything back, including the member cash discounted rate and what we paid for the OTUP, but obviously not the points.

nickys

Premium Member
@DVCmemberUK , I just wanted to add that I realise you’re frustrated and I understand that.

Personally other than the inconsistencies, I think DVC did what they could. The inconsistencies really irked me though, the way they changed their minds having insisted there was nothing they could do. Again though, I guess they took legal advice as to what they could do to keep within the timeshare laws; the solution was they used their own points. If I hadn’t rented my points out so quickly I would have benefitted.

Other timeshare owners though got nothing. Had a week booked but couldn’t get there? Tough. No compensation in any form. That happened to a lot of people I know, wherever they had booked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom