DVC "Galactic Gathering" Cancelled

cindy_k

Original Poster

Maybe Disney will take this as a sign that you can charge too much? It was $225 a person.

'The Galactic Gathering was to provide members with a buffet dinner, DJ dance party and unique character meet & greet opportunities at a rate of $210 per person for ages 3-20 and $225 for ages 21 and up. No makeup date or replacement event has been announced. '

matt9112

price was absurd IMHO. i dont really support all this one off revenue driven events period but this price was ludacris coupled with a limited pool of buyers.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
You mean nobody wanted to spend a fortune on a DVC Members "exclusive" opprtunity to participate in an overpriced event?!
I am shocked! :oops::hilarious:

tl77

When the DVC opened in the early 90's it was a more affordable way to visit the WDW, and stay on property on a regular basis, that's why our family joined it... when did it become a way to price-gouge the most loyal Disney fans?

Janir

Maybe Disney will take this as a sign that you can charge too much? It was $225 a person.

'The Galactic Gathering was to provide members with a buffet dinner, DJ dance party and unique character meet & greet opportunities at a rate of $210 per person for ages 3-20 and $225 for ages 21 and up. No makeup date or replacement event has been announced. '

The way Disney tries to get people in with the DVC events makes little sense to me. People with DVC memberships I'm going to assume somewhat dedicated Disney Parks fans and love to go for sure. But as such Disney has taught me that I have to have a PLAN starting MONTHS out with getting a room booking, then 6 months for ADR's, 60 days for Fast Pass+'s. Now you decide to drop a special DVC event barely 1 month's advance notice and you expect that I'm going to reallocate my booked vacation plans to I can come to a special event you just posted up and give up ALL my other plans in the process? For the COST of $125 per person in my party as well?!?

Ahh...No.

I'd BOOK AND PLAN a year in advance when making my home resort booking time around DVC member events, even with an up-charge of some sort. Not quite willing to do $125 per person, that's about a regular entry day ticket charge. $85 or about the same as MNSSHP and we'll seriously talk. Preferably less as DVC memberships should come with something as we're committing future vacation dollars to Disney right up front.
But come up with this 1/2 Alien Swirling Saucer'ed plans for a DVC member event for more than a MNSSHP/Mickey Christmas party and just, nope. Even if I was already booked during the party, I'd have to change my plans for a party that costs more than any of the good late night parties and pay extra for the privilege? Someone in DVC and Disney Parks Marketing should have accounts on the forums like these and maybe pay attention to their dedicated fan base vs staring at marketing data numbers scraped from all their electronic systems.

Walt knew and learned his customer base. He knew marketing and didn't have electronically gather numbers to figure it out, he worked at it. Now Disney is leaning on numbers and forgetting to touch base with their base and learn from them. I say Walt knew his base , not ever having experienced Disney, let alone the DLR back in his day but coming to Disney fandom as a middle aged man. I don't have a child's nostalgia built up around Disney anything. A few movies I enjoyed, that's about it. Star Wars, I got a ton of child nostalgia built up. $125 per person for a special event? I can't say it would be worth it. (And I play/run Star Wars roleplaying games twice a month and special SW RPG at GenCon convention.)

Janir

It was a Galaxy’s Edge CM training and food test that they tried to get DVC members to pay for.

And a place to reuse the speeder bike removed from DHS.
Ok I missed that the speeder bike was removed form near Star Tours?!?! :-( I have some fun bridal engagement shoot pics with that speeder bike.

carolina_yankee

I'd BOOK AND PLAN a year in advance when making my home resort booking time around DVC member events, even with an up-charge of some sort.

I think this is where Disney missed the boat on this one. At the very least, I think an event needs 3 months notice since the FP window opens at 60 days. I can make ADR adjustments even if it means giving up a coveted reservation because there are plenty of other good places still available at 60-90 days unless it's peak season.

However, changing around your park days and FP times is a challenge if you have a hard-to-get FP in the mix. I'm pretty laid back and flexible but the number of wrenches Disney - and friends we're traveling with - have thrown into our upcoming early May trip has annoyed me.

No way I would drop everything for $225 cupcakes and photo-ops on three weeks notice. I certainly wouldn't be able to book DVC accommodations on three weeks notice, so you're dealing with guests who already planned to be there and who have already planned their trip out. If it were in SWGE, then maybe more might have tried.

Add in free Moonlight Magic events and discounted DAH nights where folks can ride plenty of attractions for half the price, ah no.

Dirk

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
And things have gotten worse since Ken Potrock left!
Ms. Terri Schultz comes from the Accounting Dept, so...
That should tell us something!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And things have gotten worse since Ken Potrock left!
Ms. Terri Schultz comes from the Accounting Dept, so...
That should tell us something!
Not sure I’d blame her. If there’s anyone to blame it’s the clientele for buying into all this crap. Of course Disney is going to keep pushing it. People eat it up(for the most part) makes them feel special.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Not sure I’d blame her. If there’s anyone to blame it’s the clientele for buying into all this crap. Of course Disney is going to keep pushing it. People eat it up(for the most part) makes them feel special.
I didn't mean to blame only her, of course DVC will try to sell their product.
Is up to members if they choose to buy.
Apparently in this case, members did not see the value in this event

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
The way Disney tries to get people in with the DVC events makes little sense to me. People with DVC memberships I'm going to assume somewhat dedicated Disney Parks fans and love to go for sure. But as such Disney has taught me that I have to have a PLAN starting MONTHS out with getting a room booking, then 6 months for ADR's, 60 days for Fast Pass+'s. Now you decide to drop a special DVC event barely 1 month's advance notice and you expect that I'm going to reallocate my booked vacation plans to I can come to a special event you just posted up and give up ALL my other plans in the process? For the COST of $125 per person in my party as well?!?

Ahh...No.

I'd BOOK AND PLAN a year in advance when making my home resort booking time around DVC member events, even with an up-charge of some sort. Not quite willing to do $125 per person, that's about a regular entry day ticket charge. $85 or about the same as MNSSHP and we'll seriously talk. Preferably less as DVC memberships should come with something as we're committing future vacation dollars to Disney right up front.
But come up with this 1/2 Alien Swirling Saucer'ed plans for a DVC member event for more than a MNSSHP/Mickey Christmas party and just, nope. Even if I was already booked during the party, I'd have to change my plans for a party that costs more than any of the good late night parties and pay extra for the privilege? Someone in DVC and Disney Parks Marketing should have accounts on the forums like these and maybe pay attention to their dedicated fan base vs staring at marketing data numbers scraped from all their electronic systems.

Walt knew and learned his customer base. He knew marketing and didn't have electronically gather numbers to figure it out, he worked at it. Now Disney is leaning on numbers and forgetting to touch base with their base and learn from them. I say Walt knew his base , not ever having experienced Disney, let alone the DLR back in his day but coming to Disney fandom as a middle aged man. I don't have a child's nostalgia built up around Disney anything. A few movies I enjoyed, that's about it. Star Wars, I got a ton of child nostalgia built up. $125 per person for a special event? I can't say it would be worth it. (And I play/run Star Wars roleplaying games twice a month and special SW RPG at GenCon convention.)
“1/2 Alien Swirling Saucer’ed” ... 😂😂😂😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom