DVC Entry?

Dagger

This might be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer. I know you can resort hop in terms of restaurants and sightseeing, but I am curious as to whether, if you're staying on property, that means you have access to any of the pools, or if you're limited to where you're staying.

Furthermore, can you enter the DVC if you're not a member? Can you use their restaurants? Pools?

Not like I'm going to run around pool hopping but I was just curious. As for the DVC restaurants to non-members, I really wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!

Dagger said:
This might be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer.

I don't know about dumb questions, but I specialize in dumb answers.

Dagger said:
I know you can resort hop in terms of restaurants and sightseeing, but I am curious as to whether, if you're staying on property, that means you have access to any of the pools, or if you're limited to where you're staying.

Those who stay on property are not supposed to "pool hop" among resorts (except for DVC members who may pool hop everywhere except BC and AKL).

Dagger said:
Furthermore, can you enter the DVC if you're not a member?

If you mean "Am I allowed to go into DVC resorts?" the answer is yes. Everyone is welcome to visit any resort ...

Dagger said:
Can you use their restaurants?

... or eat at any restaurant.

Dagger said:

see above.

A DVC resort is just like any other resort. Anyone can stay there (if he or she is willing to pay).

To use a non-DVC analogy: if you're staying at Pop Century, you may eat at a Grand Floridian restaurant; consider any DVC resort as any other resort.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Dagger said:
This might be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer. I know you can resort hop in terms of restaurants and sightseeing, but I am curious as to whether, if you're staying on property, that means you have access to any of the pools, or if you're limited to where you're staying.

Furthermore, can you enter the DVC if you're not a member? Can you use their restaurants? Pools?

Not like I'm going to run around pool hopping but I was just curious. As for the DVC restaurants to non-members, I really wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!

All Walt Disney World Guests, regardless of where they are staying (including those not staying on property) are always welcome to spend money at Disney,:lookaroun oh, I mean to shop and dine at any Disney Resort Hotel including the DVC properties. Also any paid recreation such as boat or bike rental may be enjoyed by all.

Individual Resort amenities such as swimming pools, beaches, tennis or volleyball courts, etc. that are free to the Resort's Guests are only available to Guests staying at that Resort.

The one exception would include Health Clubs. These are free to Guests staying at the Resort offering the club, but can be used for a nominal fee by Guests not staying there.

To hopefully end the coming flame war before it starts...

Officially Pool Hopping is NOT allowed. Guest can and will be evicted from the pool area of a Resort if they are not a registered Guests at that Resort. :hammer:

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Dagger

Original Poster
Uh-oh! Where's my "please do not feed the trolls" sign?

Thanks for the info. once again. I honestly didn't think Disney would possibly discourage people from spending money on Disney property :lol: , but I thought it might be some kind of private or exclusive thing for DVC only. I didn't even realize non-VC could stay at the VC resorts!

Upvote 0

William Marsden

You can stay at a DVC but it costs big bucks to stay at a vacation club resort. One option you might try is renting points from a DVC member. The points usually rent for around $10 or $11 a point. If you stayed at a standard view one bedroom unit at the Boardwalk Villas between this coming week from Monday 6/5 thru Sunday 6/11, (the same room would be cheaper at other times of the year) you would use 212 points which would cost about $300.00 a night. If you booked that same room through Disney, it would cost over $500.00 a night. If you rented a studio, you'd only use 107 points which would cost around $150.00 a night. The studios are comparable in size to most rooms at a deluxe resort. The one bedroom units give you a bedroom and a living room, a fully equipped kitchen, a washer and dryer and a jacuzzi tub.

Another advantage to renting points is that you don't have to pay a resort fee or any hotel tax. Now keep in mind that I don't think there's anyway in hell that you're gonna find availability at the Boardwalk Villas for this coming week and that you'll have to plan ahead if you're going to do this. Another drawback is that if you were planning on going in Aug. or Sept. and taking advantage of the free dining plan, you s.o.l. unless you book through Disney. You'd be able to purchase the dining plan but you wouldn't get it for free. My family loves to stay in one of the DVC villas. The convenience of having a kitchen and especially a washer and dryer can't be beat. If you go to www.wdwinfo.com and click on Vacation Club, you'll find lots of members who want to rent points. You'll also find a points calculator so you can see how many points you need and you'll be able to compare the resorts. One of these days, we're gonna join the Disney Vacation Club either through Disney or another site that sells memberships. Until that blessed day, we'll be renting points and staying on property.

Upvote 0

Dagger

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. about the points. I have to say that after discovering this Dining Plan I'm not sure I'll ever want to not have it again, but we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas with my Uncle's DVC one year and it was just immaculate!

Upvote 0

William Marsden

Thanks for the info. about the points. I have to say that after discovering this Dining Plan I'm not sure I'll ever want to not have it again, but we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas with my Uncle's DVC one year and it was just immaculate

I feel the same way about the dining plan. Let me reitterate, you can now purchase the dining plan when you make a DVC reservation even if you're not a DVC member. After the DVC member makes a reservation for you, all you need to do is call up guest services and add the dining plan. You don't even need to pay for the plan until you arrive at resort. This is a new policy that's been in affect for about four months. If you're not one of the lucky visitors that can go during August or September, there's no downside. Disney only offers the "free dining" during this small window of time but they don't offer "free dining" to DVC members. How I wish I could visit when the "free dining plan" is offered :cry:. But if you're visiting at any other time, you have to pay for the dining plan anyway. So you CAN rent DVC points, get the dining plan and have the vacation you may want.

One other point. I don't know if you noticed but the usage points more than double on Fri. and Sat. So if you're going for 5 days or less, try to go Sun. - Thurs. If you go for more than a week, try to stay through only one Fri and Sat. In other words go from Sun. 10/1/06 through Weds. 10/11/06 rather than Thurs. 10/5/06 through Sun. 10/15/06. I hope you have a great trip. We have to wait a while till we'll be able to take a family vacation so for the time being, I have to live vicariously through other lucky Disney guests.:wave: All the best.

Upvote 0

Dagger

Original Poster
I feel the same way about living vicariously through others. That's probably what brought most of us here. :eek:

How much does the Dining Plan cost when you add it on later as a DVC member? That's pretty cool. Now I guess the AP people are probably complaining and it should only be a matter of time.

For me August or September isn't an option but I suppose our next year's July (which was originally May but we extended due to that we're now going this December) could be stretched to August, which would be for my daughter's 2nd birthday.

Truth is though, that I'm sure the reason that free Dining offer stands is because the hurricanes have scared away visitors during those months. I can totally see why as I am one of those people myself. Even if the hurricane didn't exactly evacuate you, it wouldn't be so fun if it was raining and/or overcast yet humid the entire time with hurricane warning somewhere else in nearby Florida, etc. Do I sound a little jaded on those things? Ex-Floridian here. :lol:

Upvote 0

William Marsden

I feel the same way about living vicariously through others. That's probably what brought most of us here. :eek:

How much does the Dining Plan cost when you add it on later as a DVC member? That's pretty cool. Now I guess the AP people are probably complaining and it should only be a matter of time.

For me August or September isn't an option but I suppose our next year's July (which was originally May but we extended due to that we're now going this December) could be stretched to August, which would be for my daughter's 2nd birthday.

Truth is though, that I'm sure the reason that free Dining offer stands is because the hurricanes have scared away visitors during those months. I can totally see why as I am one of those people myself. Even if the hurricane didn't exactly evacuate you, it wouldn't be so fun if it was raining and/or overcast yet humid the entire time with hurricane warning somewhere else in nearby Florida, etc. Do I sound a little jaded on those things? Ex-Floridian here. :lol:

The dining plan is 37.99 for adults per day and 10.99 a day for children ages 3-9. (I suppose as with everything else, there could be some price increases by next year.) The free dining promotion doesn't begin until August 13 this year. I think everyone was surprised when it was offered this year and there's no telling if it will be offered in 2007. I don't think that the dining plan will ever be offered to AP holders. It really is a marketing tool so that visitors will book packages. The fact that DVC members couldn't take advantage of the plan after they'd dropped over 14 grand for thier memberships could be viewed as a legitimate complaint. AP holders aren't going to get a discount on thier room AND be able to take advantage of the dining plan. In fact, for the past year or so Disney has cut back on many of the old AP room discounts. The discounts aren't as substantial as they used to be and there don't seem to be as many available rooms.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it may be that you'll have to pay for the dining plan like most of us suckers.:lol: By the way, I live in Independence Mo. and we have lots of tornadoes out here. I'm like you, I'd be inclined to stay away during the hurricane season. But if you're willing to take a gamble, you could take advantage of big promotions, smaller crowds (maybe), and who knows, you might not have a wet day for your entire stay. Furthermore, if a hurricane did hit, you'd be safer at WDW then anywhere else in the south.

Upvote 0

Dagger

Original Poster
Well I'm not an AP holder yet, and if I could only make it twice a year and then not take advantage of the DP then I would definitely NOT do it, so that's one decision already made for me!

I do agree with you that there's always the possibility of less crowds and a perfect sunny stay WITH free food. It's worth the gamble if you go often, for sure! I also agree that WDW would be a pretty safe place. I know that one went through Disney (the year before last I think?) but IMO that was sort of a fluke. It usually hits the coasts!

Upvote 0

Rob562

JPVonDrake said:
To hopefully end the coming flame war before it starts...

Officially Pool Hopping is NOT allowed. Guest can and will be evicted from the pool area of a Resort if they are not a registered Guests at that Resort.

Of course, there *are* the exceptions to the pool hopping rule that you didn't mention, namely the "sister resort" policy... :)

All-Star Resort guests are allowed to use any pool at any All-Star resort. Also, French Quarter guests are allowed to use the Riverside pools and vice versa. When the second half of Pop Century eventually opens in the distant future, I would assume that pool hopping between the two halves will also be allowed.

-Rob

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Rob562 said:
Of course, there *are* the exceptions to the pool hopping rule that you didn't mention, namely the "sister resort" policy... :)

All-Star Resort guests are allowed to use any pool at any All-Star resort. Also, French Quarter guests are allowed to use the Riverside pools and vice versa. When the second half of Pop Century eventually opens in the distant future, I would assume that pool hopping between the two halves will also be allowed.

-Rob

You are correct. Guests staying at any "sister resort" property may share all amenities between their home resort and the other "sister resort(s)"

Disney's Sister Resorts Include:

Port Orleans - Riverside and French Quarter

All Stars Resort - Sports, Music, and Movies

Yacht and Beach - Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Beach Club Villas

Boardwalk - Boardwalk Inn and Boardwalk Villas

Wilderness Lodge - Lodge and Villas

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom