DVC Dining Discounts

WDW-Imagineer

Original Poster
I'm headed to WDW in December as a guest of a DVC member (using a family member's points). From what I understand, DVC members get a discount on select WDW restaurants (http://mouseowners.com/DVCDiningOptions.html).

My question is, would I get the discount by presenting my family member's card or does it not apply to me since I'm only a guest of the member and not the member? Furthermore, if we were to purchase the Dining Plan, does that DVC discount apply to non-dining plan items (appetizers, etc)?

Just trying to determine if it's gonna be cheaper to utilize the DVC discount or get the dining plan.

Thanks!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm headed to WDW in December as a guest of a DVC member (using a family member's points). From what I understand, DVC members get a discount on select WDW restaurants (http://mouseowners.com/DVCDiningOptions.html).

My question is, would I get the discount by presenting my family member's card or does it not apply to me since I'm only a guest of the member and not the member? Furthermore, if we were to purchase the Dining Plan, does that DVC discount apply to non-dining plan items (appetizers, etc)?

Just trying to determine if it's gonna be cheaper to utilize the DVC discount or get the dining plan.

Thanks!
You have to present the card to get the discount. Technically the owner whose name is on the card has to be present, but if you present the card as your own you can probably get away with it. If I'm not mistaken the DVC discounts are at select locations and a lot of times for select meals, like lunch only. It also excludes alcohol from the discount. I would assume you could use the discount on apps and non-dining plan items if you are paying from pocket for them.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If it is found out that you are using the member's card, and you are not the member, Disney can charge you with fraud (and that may even extend to the member as well). There may be other penalties as well. While it is doubtful that it might go that far, it can happen. It is possible that they might terminate your stay, and ask you to leave Disney property. CMs are usually supposed to ask for identification as well when the card is presented (though not all do). I am not judging or saying that you shouldn't do it, just pointing out the possible consequences.

The DVC discount is usually only 10%, and not for every meal at every location. If you are not staying long enough to buy an AP (which would make you eligible for the TiW), then the DDP might be the best option.

WDW-Imagineer

Original Poster
You have to present the card to get the discount. Technically the owner whose name is on the card has to be present, but if you present the card as your own you can probably get away with it. If I'm not mistaken the DVC discounts are at select locations and a lot of times for select meals, like lunch only. It also excludes alcohol from the discount. I would assume you could use the discount on apps and non-dining plan items if you are paying from pocket for them.

Does DVC have an official listing of the discounts or is it just sorta fly-by-night? I've found several websites listing several different restaurants/discount amounts/meals/etc.

If it is found out that you are using the member's card, and you are not the member, Disney can charge you with fraud (and that may even extend to the member as well). There may be other penalties as well. While it is doubtful that it might go that far, it can happen. It is possible that they might terminate your stay, and ask you to leave Disney property. CMs are usually supposed to ask for identification as well when the card is presented (though not all do). I am not judging or saying that you shouldn't do it, just pointing out the possible consequences.

No need to be overly dramatic, I understand using the card isn't the proper way; just curious if they actually checked on who was using the card or not. Also, what about those bottles of shampoo & bars of soap I've taken over the years?

Almost 99percent of the time to use the DVC card for discounts you have to present your ID.

Thanks for the simple, realistic reply. I kinda figured this but it was work a shot.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No need to be overly dramatic, I understand using the card isn't the proper way; just curious if they actually checked on who was using the card or not. Also, what about those bottles of shampoo & bars of soap I've taken over the years?
My apologies. :oops: I never meant to be harsh or dramatic.

kparn

Hi, I am a DVC member. My family just spent a week in late May/early June at WDW. Every time we used our DVC member card at various restaurants, we were asked to show photo identification. We have a TIW card which clearly states that photo id will be utilized. Even at the restaurants that didn't participate in TIW (many Epcot restaurants) but allowed DVC card discount...we were asked to show a photo id. Now, what is strange...I used my DVC member card for every purchase from Main Street to Downtown Disney. I was never once asked for photo id, only at restaurants. Hope this helps.

harryk

Thanks!

As a DVC member - I purchase the DDP each visit. It has worked out better for me and my family. As a DVC member I get the dining plans at a discount.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As a DVC member - I purchase the DDP each visit. It has worked out better for me and my family. As a DVC member I get the dining plans at a discount.

How does the dining plan discount work? Are you talking about paying regular price for the plan during peak season? That's the only discount I've ever heard of for DVC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DVC itself provides the dining plan at a discount. The meals are not discounted - you don't pay for them.
The dining plan provides a certain amount of meals (usually covers a breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a couple of snacks per day) Signature restaurants (ex: Jinkos, Cinderella's Royal Table, Hoop Dee Doo Review) use two meal allowances). Just take a look at the various dining plans and you can get an idea of how it works.
Sorry, I dont think my question was clear. I know how the dining plan works. I bought it for my upcoming trip in November through DVC. The price I paid was the regular price. The DVC reservation person said they offer the dining plan at regular price if you pay at the time of booking but there was no discount. I have read that they offer the dining plan at the regular price during periods when Disney charges a peak period rate. Does anyone else know if there is supposed to be a DVC discount on the dining plan?

BCVTalsJam

As DVC members we do not receive a discount per say we just always get to pay the lowest amount no matter if its the peak season. So the price will change every year but we always get to pay the cheapest season rate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As DVC members we do not receive a discount per say we just always get to pay the lowest amount no matter if its the peak season. So the price will change every year but we always get to pay the cheapest season rate.

Ok. That's what I thought. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a discount:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom