DVC considering new resorts off property?

seascape

Original Poster
According to DVC News, Disney is considering building new resorts outside of WDW and Disneyland. Or at least they are surviving members. I did not get one but this is interesting. The locations I am interested in are the other resorts around the world, as Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo are all listed. Other sites include some great tourist locations and ski resorts. Personally, I think DVC should stay with Disney Patk locations around the world.

FCivish3

Yes. I agree that DVC should restrict itself Disney to park locations. You think they would learn after disasters such as Aulani. However, it has become clear that Disney and DVC is NOT always being managed the best way.

It is very unlikely that one of the DVC locations will be in another country. That would be like Aulani on steroids.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes. I agree that DVC should restrict itself Disney to park locations. You think they would learn after disasters such as Aulani. However, it has become clear that Disney and DVC is NOT always being managed the best way.

It is very unlikely that one of the DVC locations will be in another country. That would be like Aulani on steroids.

I disagree. A DVC property at one of the international parks could work. I’d love one in Paris; when either I or DH get too old / unwell to manage the transatlantic flight or get insurance, then we could continue to use it at our “local” park. Tokyo seems to be the most likely though, high cost of living, therefore US members could use their points rather than pay for expensive hotel rooms. There are more and more making the trip over now.

Aulani was a mistake probably because it’s so far away. I know we considered it as a week’s relaxation after DL, but it’s a heck of a long flight from LA. I hadn’t really appreciated it until I looked at return flights to the U.K. We would have to over-night at LA on the way back.

correcaminos

A stand alone DVC (like Aulani or HHI or Vero) will be very unlikely. They've had issues with 2 of the 3 off site ones so I doubt that will happen again.

Another non WDW but Disney property one would be more likely. Not likely for CA due to laws though. I could see international but at the same time people are now getting upset with home resort so it could backfire.

My over all thoughts are that it isn't likely we'll see another non-WDW one anytime soon.

Club Cooloholic

I gotta say I loved Vero. My kids thought it was the best on a trip where we hit the Poly and BC too. Its nice to have just the resort no park, because you get that Disney quality and service in a different atmosphere. I could see one doing extremely well in a mountain town too in say Utah or Colorado.

seascape

Original Poster
I don’t see how they could. There are owners, just not enough of them. But those owners have an interest in the property that expires in 2062. I don’t think there is a way out of that for DVC.
If the resort were losing money why would they be questioning another resort in Hawaii? It was a mistake to build the resort but the way DVC operates I am sure they are making money. In any case I plan on going in a few years.

I still hope they add the foreign resorts as locatons for DVCs but my wife wants a NYC location even though they gave up on that idea years ago.

Club Cooloholic

If the resort were losing money why would they be questioning another resort in Hawaii? It was a mistake to build the resort but the way DVC operates I am sure they are making money. In any case I plan on going in a few years.

I still hope they add the foreign resorts as locatons for DVCs but my wife wants a NYC location even though they gave up on that idea years ago.
Can you imagine what an NYC location would cost considering a Holiday Inn there is often a few hundred dollars lol?

nickys

Premium Member

They probably won’t be loosing money. In fact I don’t think the resort is wholly DVC. But obviously they want to sell all the DVC points, so that those maintenance fees are paying for the running and upkeep of the DVC side

I thought the whole non-WDW DVC thing was long since dead in the water. Which is why i find it interesting they’re doing a survey.

correcaminos

Disney canceled later phases of Vero Beach after construction had begun. So if you look at a tree sales, you will see that some of them have subsidized dues because the original owners who bought in were paying an amount for a larger resort. HHI just has issues with dues due to hurricane damage.

Aulani has not sold out yet. They also had some issues with calculation of dues when they originally were selling the resort to. That doesn't have as much to do with it being a stand-alone, except that I think the person calculating really was not paying attention to where they were located. Result was an exec was fired and some dudes are subsidized and some dues are not. Bad luck on that Resort, but they've had more issues with stand-alones than the on property by park.

eliza61nyc

For me it's a no vote but I purchased my ownership specifically for the joy of being onsite. I'm also don't have this big desire to visit wdw at international places. I went to DLP as a day trip from my trip to Paris. Basically when I want to get my disney fix on I do wdw. Next, there are simply too many fabulous places to stay in paris/France for me to imagine ever wanting to stay at a Disney property there and now add AirbNb to the mix and it just wouldn't be something I would use.

ryguy

The only area I think may be appealing would be a ski resort. Skiing attracts many families. When i ski I like to have a bigger room. Maybe on a Caribbean Island but too me thats not all that appealing. I would rather see more studios with two queen beds.

BrianLo

The answer is definitely, but the solution is to not go crazy like they did in Aulani. Start small, build a VGC-wing-like add on to at least Paris and consider Disney’s other co-owned sites.

Aulani is simply too big for the market.

Paris could be well positioned to UK buyers to always use at WDW.

FCivish3

The only area I think may be appealing would be a ski resort. Skiing attracts many families. When i ski I like to have a bigger room. Maybe on a Caribbean Island but too me thats not all that appealing. I would rather see more studios with two queen beds.

Caribbean is too boring. So many people have been there-done that. Harder and more expensive by air than a mainland vacation. Way too well covered by cruise ships, so it would be a tough sell. Why buy DVC when cruises are so cheap? And, where in the Caribbean would you suggest to build a resort that will be more popular than Aulani?

As for ski resorts, I think that is a big, BIG mistake that will make Aulani look like one of Disney's favorite properties. Yes, they are very popular with families, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Not everyone skis. This very much limits the purchasing pool.

2. Skiing only runs from maybe November 1st (if you are very lucky) until the end of April.

3. Most ski towns are small, deep in the mountains, and, when not skiing people will, do what?

People could ski all the way through May, but most ski resorts shut down, due to lack of interest by that point. From then on, it is mountain hiking. MAYBE a bit of nearby fishing, and? Who wants to just go spend a week in a lodge in the mountains where the main entertainment will be hiking in the hills for a few hours a day, and watching TV.

Keep in mind the altitude of most ski resorts is up around 8000 feet and a lot of elderly people have trouble breathing at such altitude. Not likely to be a popular vacation with Grandma and Grandpa.

And, when not skiing, the mountains are really most attractive for only 4 months - June, July, August, Sept. In May there is probably still too much snow on the ground and in October it is getting cold, and sometimes wet, but not enough snow to ski. I will also say that sometimes, up around 10,000 feet, you can even get major snowstorms in mid to late August. You would generally need a car to get around and go out to nearby towns, restaurants and such.

So, almost no one is going to want to buy all those days from May 1st through November 1st, but Disney will need to sell them, to pay for the resort. How many people are going to buy a DVC Ski Resort, just so they can ski, and then find out that there are twice as many skiers as there are ski days available to book?

Don't get me wrong. I live in Salt Lake City, only 40 minutes away from many world famous ski resorts, but I think trying to build a DVC property at a ski resort would be a disaster of epic proportions.

nickys

Premium Member
Caribbean is too boring. So many people have been there-done that. Harder and more expensive by air than a mainland vacation. Way too well covered by cruise ships, so it would be a tough sell. Why buy DVC when cruises are so cheap? And, where in the Caribbean would you suggest to build a resort that will be more popular than Aulani?

As for ski resorts, I think that is a big, BIG mistake that will make Aulani look like one of Disney's favorite properties. Yes, they are very popular with families, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Not everyone skis. This very much limits the purchasing pool.

2. Skiing only runs from maybe November 1st (if you are very lucky) until the end of April.

3. Most ski towns are small, deep in the mountains, and, when not skiing people will, do what?

People could ski all the way through May, but most ski resorts shut down, due to lack of interest by that point. From then on, it is mountain hiking. MAYBE a bit of nearby fishing, and? Who wants to just go spend a week in a lodge in the mountains where the main entertainment will be hiking in the hills for a few hours a day, and watching TV.

Keep in mind the altitude of most ski resorts is up around 8000 feet and a lot of elderly people have trouble breathing at such altitude. Not likely to be a popular vacation with Grandma and Grandpa.

And, when not skiing, the mountains are really most attractive for only 4 months - June, July, August, Sept. In May there is probably still too much snow on the ground and in October it is getting cold, and sometimes wet, but not enough snow to ski. I will also say that sometimes, up around 10,000 feet, you can even get major snowstorms in mid to late August. You would generally need a car to get around and go out to nearby towns, restaurants and such.

So, almost no one is going to want to buy all those days from May 1st through November 1st, but Disney will need to sell them, to pay for the resort. How many people are going to buy a DVC Ski Resort, just so they can ski, and then find out that there are twice as many skiers as there are ski days available to book?

Don't get me wrong. I live in Salt Lake City, only 40 minutes away from many world famous ski resorts, but I think trying to build a DVC property at a ski resort would be a disaster of epic proportions.

I have no idea about the US ski resorts, I’ll have to take your word for them.

But many ski resorts in Europe are very popular in the summer months. There are thousands of people who enjoy hiking and summer activities in the mountains. Both in the Alps and Scandinavia, and I’m betting in the Pyrenees too.

Janir

Having DVC points that can transfer Disney Destinations is plenty enough for me. For Disney to try to get into the full on resort game with Marriott and Hilton could get very costly to them I think. The DVC properties like Aulani are nice, but Hawaii trip s aren't as frequent as WDW trips are. And as long as I can have Disney Destinations to use my points around with I'm more than happy to just keep my DVC ownership at WDW where I can get 11 month bookings to trips, and 7 months for everything else. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom