DVC Booking + Dining Window Question

Schweino

Original Poster
I'm still kicking tires on DVC (if I was super rich I would just stop kicking!).

Typical Travel Times: November/December with maybe an occasional October/February.

What I already understand: November/December are the hardest times to book DVC.

Considering our typical travel times, there's a high chance I will need to split stay to make our times work. So here is a hypothetical assuming I have a Saratoga Springs resale contract:

1. First 2 nights we stay at a studio in AKL.
2. Second 4 nights SSR.
3. Last 2 nights, Poly.

Assuming I have park tickets for all 8 nights, how does dining work in this case? Here is how I *think* it works:

1. I can book the first 2 nights of dining at the 60th day from the first two nights.
2. I then need to wait until the 60th day from part 2 above to book the next 4 nights worth of dining.
3. I then need to wait until the 60th day from part 3 above to book the last 2 nights of dining.

Basically, with DVC reservations, can I book dining in one go even on a split stay, or do I need to keep waiting (above understanding)? Thanks friends!

correcaminos

Dining will be split.

Do not assume at all that you can get those rooms for Nov/Dec. Book 1 room to be safe. If you don't like SSR enough to stay there (the entire trip) then look elsewhere.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Dining will be split.

Do not assume at all that you can get those rooms for Nov/Dec. Book 1 room to be safe. If you don't like SSR enough to stay there then look elsewhere.
This ^^^^

But if you do intend to split your stay, you need to book those as ervations at the 11 month mark at your home resort. When you come to modify to a different resort, you cannot split a reservation down.

For example if you booked all 8 nights at SSR as one block, then you would need to drop nights and book at the other resorts, risking losing both SSR and the alternative resort.

Also you dining is slightly off. Each window also opens your check-out date.

If you have:

AKL. - Nov 29th - Dec 1st
SSR. - Dec 1st - Dec 6th
PVB. - Dec 6th - Dec 8th

Then your first window would be on Sept 30th for Nov 29th thru to Dec 1st; then on Oct 2nd you could book from Dec 2nd thru to Dec 6th; then on Oct 7th you could book Dec 7th thru to Dec 8th.

(Assuming my 60 days are correct!).

Schweino

Original Poster
But if you do intend to split your stay, you need to book those as ervations at the 11 month mark at your home resort. When you come to modify to a different resort, you cannot split a reservation down.

For example if you booked all 8 nights at SSR as one block, then you would need to drop nights and book at the other resorts, risking losing both SSR and the alternative resort.
1. Book 8 nights at SSR at 11 month mark.
2. At 7 month window, edit my 8 night SSR to be 5 straight nights instead and then do last 3 nights at a different resort.

Something like this or did I misunderstand?

nickys

Premium Member
1. Book 8 nights at SSR at 11 month mark.
2. At 7 month window, edit my 8 night SSR to be 5 straight nights instead and then do last 3 nights at a different resort.

Something like this or did I misunderstand?
Book 3 separate reservations at SSR at the 11 month mark.

2 nights
4 nights
2 nights

Then at the 7 month mark you modify the first one to be at AKL and the third one to be at the Poly. When you modify it will hold that reservation until you confirm the new one. Worst case is you end up with your original 3 reservations which Member Services can merge together into one single one (assuming they’re all for the same category and room type).

correcaminos

Book 3 separate reservations at SSR at the 11 month mark.

2 nights
4 nights
2 nights

Then at the 7 month mark you modify the first one to be at AKL and the third one to be at the Poly. When you modify it will hold that reservation until you confirm the new one. Worst case is you end up with your original 3 reservations which Member Services can merge together into one single one (assuming they’re all for the same category and room type).
This is exactly how I'd do it but..... there have been reports of linking reservations automatically. So do different lead guests until it's all worked out!

Schweino

Original Poster
Agree with what the others have said. You might have luck, but studios are hard to book. Much more likely to find 1 bedrooms
Yeah I think in our theoretical world we would do 1BR's with a random 2BR in there. We just struggle with commitment. We love the 'luxury' feel of Riviera and we voted Riviera as having the best looking rooms when we spent a day splurging Here With The Ears room reviews. However, DVC Direct is just not going to happen for us at the current cost per. I'd rather pay off our cars :)

Resale is absolutely doable, especially a cheapish contract like SSR, but not having the ability to split stay at Riviera is a huge knock for us (and likewise with RIV resale, not being able to book any of the originals is a con). I know we at least probably have 2-3 more Disney trips within the next 10 years with various family events, not sure we want to make it an every 2 year thing though in order to break even. IDK - maybe one day we'll make up our minds.

Club Cooloholic

Yeah I think in our theoretical world we would do 1BR's with a random 2BR in there. We just struggle with commitment. We love the 'luxury' feel of Riviera and we voted Riviera as having the best looking rooms when we spent a day splurging Here With The Ears room reviews. However, DVC Direct is just not going to happen for us at the current cost per. I'd rather pay off our cars :)

Resale is absolutely doable, especially a cheapish contract like SSR, but not having the ability to split stay at Riviera is a huge knock for us (and likewise with RIV resale, not being able to book any of the originals is a con). I know we at least probably have 2-3 more Disney trips within the next 10 years with various family events, not sure we want to make it an every 2 year thing though in order to break even. IDK - maybe one day we'll make up our minds.
Have you stayed at some of the other luxes? I haven't done the Riviera yet but many of the other properties are great, and walking into the lobby of AKL is just stunning. Even SSR, I will say the rooms that renovated are amazing. Worked really well for our family of 4 with everyone having a bed in a 1bd. And you will have access to Poly, which actually often has space at the 7 month mark and handles a family of 4 better than just about any studio in WDW.
Also I'd you get sick of WDW go to Vero. Great beach vacation.

Schweino

Original Poster
We havent, but have watched too many videos of everything to help at least get a clue.

We have a trip planned 11/30 - 12/7 and trying to see if we can squeeze in a day to check out some resorts.

What I dont know: can I buy a small 110pt SSR contract and buy a 50pt Riv contract with same use year and get 160 points to book at either SSR or Riv at 11 months? Or can I only use the 50 at Riv since they dont allow the OG resort contracts to be used at Riv?

Club Cooloholic

We havent, but have watched too many videos of everything to help at least get a clue.

We have a trip planned 11/30 - 12/7 and trying to see if we can squeeze in a day to check out some resorts.

What I dont know: can I buy a small 110pt SSR contract and buy a 50pt Riv contract with same use year and get 160 points to book at either SSR or Riv at 11 months? Or can I only use the 50 at Riv since they dont allow the OG resort contracts to be used at Riv?
Each will ve considered their own contract, with use year restrictions for each in place. You can only use the 50 points at Riviera at the 11 month mark and the 110 at SSR, even if they have the same month.

nickys

Premium Member

@Club Cooloholic has explained about the points.

But be aware that if you buy direct, you will have to buy 150 points in a single contract. You can then add on a small contract elsewhere, of 25 or 50 points (depending on the resort), but initially they now insist on a minimum of 150 points at one resort and in one contract for a first-time purchase.

But if you bought resale first, you could then add on 50 points direct at Riviera.

Schweino

Original Poster
But if you bought resale first, you could then add on 50 points direct at Riviera.
Resale + 50pt RIV direct < would this solve my main pain point of not being able to book either the OG's or Riv with the total points? My brain wants to say no because the Resale contract would only apply to the OG's, while the 50pt direct would apply to all (thus can only use 50 points at Riv and not any points from the resale).

nickys

Premium Member
Resale + 50pt RIV direct < would this solve my main pain point of not being able to book either the OG's or Riv with the total points? My brain wants to say no because the Resale contract would only apply to the OG's, while the 50pt direct would apply to all (thus can only use 50 points at Riv and not any points from the resale).
You are correct in that you would not be able to use all the points at Riviera. The only way to do that is to buy all points direct.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
In addition to what everyone else said, since you normally travel Nov./Dec. you will want an October use year. That would also cover your Feb. trips as the banking deadline for an October use year is May 31. Trust me on this. A use year is very important if for some reason you have to cancel a reservation. Your worst use year would be Feb. as that banking deadline is Sept. 30. Follow me on this? If you have to cancel an October reservation due to illness you will still want to bank the points into next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom