Dvc Annual pass

SmokeyNite

Original Poster
So I've been told that I have to have an ID with the same address as my mom, who is the dvc member, in order to get the dvc annual pass. We've gotten the annual passes for I think 7 years now, but I'm going to be getting a new ID with my new address on it and its different from my mom's.

I find it absolutely infuriating that you have to be at the same address to get the discount. Kids grow up and have their own families and since the DVC is good for 50 years, obviously families are going to change, move on and grow.

So my question is, has anyone put their family members on their dvc deed and if so, how much did it cost???

Janir

So I've been told that I have to have an ID with the same address as my mom, who is the dvc member, in order to get the dvc annual pass. We've gotten the annual passes for I think 7 years now, but I'm going to be getting a new ID with my new address on it and its different from my mom's.

I find it absolutely infuriating that you have to be at the same address to get the discount. Kids grow up and have their own families and since the DVC is good for 50 years, obviously families are going to change, move on and grow.

So my question is, has anyone put their family members on their dvc deed and if so, how much did it cost???
Find yourself a good lawyer and financial advisor. You may need to go the route of setting up a trust and family corporation to make sure the deed gets inherited cleanly and is usable even after your parents pass on. I just went through this hoopla wirh my parents and their property timeshare they wanted to make sure the family could use in the future with out hassles of who ditect owners were, and who could actually use the property. With Disney DVC already restricting who can access what benefits etc, you may be better severed to get this sorted now vs later.

FCivish3

You can go through someone like First American Title company (the company that Disney uses) for around $500. Other title companies and some brokerages will do the name changes on the deed for as little as around $300. Or, for about $150 and your own work, you can do it yourself. I don't know if this board allows me to post a URL from another board, but if they let me post the link below, it is for a thread which discusses IN DETAIL, exactly how to Do-It-Yourself.

Try this: https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...xisting-contract-gratuitous-transfer.3701707/

Club Cooloholic

Ou have to get on the deed, I remeber rewding somewhere it costs like 80 to 150 dollars to do? Heyblook on the bright side, I bought resale after the rule changes so the annual pass is not even an option lol

SmokeyNite

Original Poster
You can go through someone like First American Title company (the company that Disney uses) for around $500. Other title companies and some brokerages will do the name changes on the deed for as little as around $300. Or, for about $150 and your own work, you can do it yourself. I don't know if this board allows me to post a URL from another board, but if they let me post the link below, it is for a thread which discusses IN DETAIL, exactly how to Do-It-Yourself.

Try this: https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...xisting-contract-gratuitous-transfer.3701707/

That link looks more like a transfer of the actual property. I just want to be added to the deed. Thanks though!! :)

correcaminos

That link looks more like a transfer of the actual property. I just want to be added to the deed. Thanks though!! :)
As said that is for what needs to be done to add to a deed
From the post: "4. The grantees - these are the names you are adding plus those you are keeping AND must match EXACTLY the names you put on the ROFR Waiver request"

So that step is where you keep those you want and add others.

Truth be told, I'm not sure why this is infuriating that you cannot get the AP discount without doing this. They have rules in place for a reason. We never get my dad an AP even though it would be cheaper because of the rules.

Also legally keep in mind if you or someone else on the deed is married and divorces (or gets married and divorces) it could cause problems. So if it is only for the AP discount weigh the pros and cons of it all.

correcaminos

It would be nice if the rules allowed a member to buy n number of AP at a discount or the number of family the in same household. Some of us live alone but have family that we travel with.

I actually agree with this. Maybe offer up to 4 or number of people living under the same address. But they make the rules so we follow it. We're a family of 3 so we don't get as much use out of the APs as a larger family would.

The rule is in place, of course, to prevent people from buying APs for their friends that may not be eligible for the discounts - such as out of state friends that may visit a lot. If people wouldn't try to game and cheat the system, they wouldn't have to take these measures.

I don't disagree with this either. I know people are always trying to game the system. I'm okay with the rules and I know why they have it. While getting one for my dad would be nice, we just deal.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I actually agree with this. Maybe offer up to 4 or number of people living under the same address. But they make the rules so we follow it. We're a family of 3 so we don't get as much use out of the APs as a larger family would.
A bit confused on this statement. I thought you could buy an AP for any person living at the same address as you, no matter the number? We have bought 6 APs when we had the 4 kids living with us. And why would the number of people have a bearing on the use of APs? It's the number of days that you visit the parks that matter in order to save, not the number of people using them.

correcaminos

A bit confused on this statement. I thought you could buy an AP for any person living at the same address as you, no matter the number? We have bought 6 APs when we had the 4 kids living with us. And why would the number of people have a bearing on the use of APs? It's the number of days that you visit the parks that matter in order to save, not the number of people using them.

Sorry that should be AP discount as much as some larger families do. Left out a word by accident.

Obviously days going or number of times per year matter more. Sorry for leaving the word out on accident.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I was honestly thinking that when we bought in back in 2008, before we had kids, that if we died with years left on our deed that we couldn't "will it" to our kids and it would just go right back to Disney. In other words, they didn't let people "inherit" a DVC membership. Is that actually true? I didn't know you were able to put your kids on your deed though.

seascape

I was honestly thinking that when we bought in back in 2008, before we had kids, that if we died with years left on our deed that we couldn't "will it" to our kids and it would just go right back to Disney. In other words, they didn't let people "inherit" a DVC membership. Is that actually true? I didn't know you were able to put your kids on your deed though.
I would not recommend you put your kids on your deed. I know you would never think your kids could mess up their lives and go bankrupt but if they did and they were on the deed you could lose your membership.

nickys

Premium Member

You could add adult kids to the deed. Some people use a trust to avoid the issues over divorce, bankruptcy, assets etc.

But I think you can also will it to your kids. You can certainly gift it to them before you pass. And the policy from DVC is that they will not exercise ROFR on a contract that is passing between family members.

nickys

Premium Member
I would not recommend you put your kids on your deed. I know you would never think your kids could mess up their lives and go bankrupt but if they did and they were on the deed you could lose your membership.

Plus the fact it will also count as an asset. I believe that has implications for college funding, plus obviously in the event of a divorce it could mean having to sell.

correcaminos

You could add adult kids to the deed. Some people use a trust to avoid the issues over divorce, bankruptcy, assets etc.

But I think you can also will it to your kids. You can certainly gift it to them before you pass. And the policy from DVC is that they will not exercise ROFR on a contract that is passing between family members.
They also retain the membership type. Meaning if it had no restrictions prior, it remains that way and will not be viewed as a resale contract with limited use.

And yes, you can will it. You cannot add beneficiaries through DVC like certain monies allow, but going through lawyers after death they can take care of it as far as I am aware.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom