DSLR video settings

JS514

Original Poster
Hey guys!

So I’m headed to WDW in a couple of days and I’m wanting to put a little video together over the course of the trip.

I have a Canon T6i with the standard lens, so nothing special equipment wise. I’m decent enough with it on pictures, but never really explored the video side of it, and while I’ll have photos in my project, I would like some video as well.

I’m not trying to make some sort of cinematic masterpiece, but I don’t want to spend time videoing to come home and just have a bunch of terrible footage to work with.

So if you have any tips on settings and such, that’d be great! I would like to film some on mild dark rides, so I’m interested to know what settings would be preferred for that kind of thing too. But yeah....complete and total amateur and not looking to do anything too crazy (yet), so I’d like some suggestions if you don’t mind.

Thank you guys!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My best advice would be to probably let the camera go on auto for video, especially since you are looking to get some usable footage and don't have much time to practice and find out what works for your best.

Have a great trip!

StarWarsGirl

Make sure you have the correct SD card for video. You'll need one that converts quickly to video or you'll lose your video, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endu...y&sprefix=micro+SD+card+for+vi,aps,130&sr=8-9

I wouldn't knock the T6i, I've taken great pictures with it.
IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

thomas998

Hey guys!

So I’m headed to WDW in a couple of days and I’m wanting to put a little video together over the course of the trip.

I have a Canon T6i with the standard lens, so nothing special equipment wise. I’m decent enough with it on pictures, but never really explored the video side of it, and while I’ll have photos in my project, I would like some video as well.

I’m not trying to make some sort of cinematic masterpiece, but I don’t want to spend time videoing to come home and just have a bunch of terrible footage to work with.

So if you have any tips on settings and such, that’d be great! I would like to film some on mild dark rides, so I’m interested to know what settings would be preferred for that kind of thing too. But yeah....complete and total amateur and not looking to do anything too crazy (yet), so I’d like some suggestions if you don’t mind.

Thank you guys!
First thing to remember is the amount of memory video takes, make sure you have enough memory before you get there. Next thing is start playing with your camera now before you even leave so you know what it can do and how to do it.... I strongly suggest you also get familiar with the quality of the video you get with different ISO settings because you may often think that what you are seeing on the camera looks good enough only to find that it doesn't when you pull it up on a TV or computer monitor.

The two things you can do to make your video look better is to learn to hold the camera steady, nothing is more annoying than watching some video where the person is shaking or wobbling around alot.... other thing is play around with setting the camera's aperture if lower the aperture the more depth you videos will have, nothing is worse than having everything in focus in a home video because its just flat and never draws the viewer into a particular point... learn to use the aperture to try and get your main subject focuses and the background blurry it helps to get people to see what you want them to see instead of just looking all over the image in a kind of where is Waldo scan.

Also if you can get a microphone because the biggest fail of most every DSLR is the on body microphones just don't capture the sound as well as you need for a good video. The sound can go a long way to making a video really stand out....

Lastly don't go nuts with the zooming in and out just because you can. Notice in movies they don't constantly zoom in and out of shots, its distracting to the viewer so know what you want wide or zoomed and try to stay with that look, if you do zoom then don't do it too quickly as it will start looking like a Blair Witch style which is only good if you are trying to make the viewer seasick.

And if you have a few days before you leave, go out and shoot some video now in the dark to see how your camera does... if it works well enough for you then shoot things in the dark at Disney... if you aren't getting video you like at night then consider putting away your camera when the lights go down and enjoying the park instead of wasting your time on video that you will likely not like later.

ShipMike88

I have a t3i, and I’ve almost exclusively shot video with it at 24 frames per second. That will help give your videos that “movie-like” look. Would definitely recommend changing that setting.

ddbowdoin

I would try my best to compile footage from stationary positions. That really closes the gaps between run of the mill cameras and high end tools, that and the ability shoot at high ISO’s.

People get in trouble when they try to record while moving or try and pan handheld etc. Find a good spot, frame, and work on bracing yourself against a wall or finding a place to balance the camera.

To me I’d buy a small “tabletop tripod”, they break down into such a small package and hold good weight. I brought one to China and it held a Pentax 67 , a hefty medium format film camera, with ease.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom