Drowning at AK Lodge?

disneychic

I have to agree with those who faulted the parents. Hello? Where were they?? Your 6? year old is in a pool and you're not completely in tune to what's going on??? Especially since there were no lifeguards on duty, the parents should have been paying extra attention. Although, I also fault these parents who think that life guards are automatic baby sitters. If you can't pay full attention to your chid then don't bring them to the pool. I just hope that this child recovers.

JLW11Hi

I think the blame could go to both the parents and lifeguards. The lifeguards are there to watch over people who don't know any better in the first place, remeber, there are a lot of people who go to WDW, and a heck of a lot of them don't know any better. That's why they have the usual saftey precautions on attractions (keep your hands inside the car at all times, etc.).

But I don't think we need to play the blame game right now.

lifeguard1020

Oh Yea...

I'm also wondering about how you got your facts... you said he was an 8 year old boy, they did CPR for 30 min!?!?! (I would expect the response time to be much faster...it's basically a requirement with Ellis)...they got his heart beating again!?!? (That's impossible without a defibrilator)...Just curious if you were an onlooker standign there watching for 30 min or what....jsut really curious...

Dan---1020

kal1484

My younger sister is like a fish, but when we are in big pools, sometimes we would loose her. (like the wave pool at TL) Sometimes i would be in charge of watching her IN the pool, while my parents were watching us. It was hard to tell when she needed help or not, because i couldnt tell if she was playing or in trouble. Now, we have a sign. She puts her hands above her head and claps like a seal, not only do i know what she is doing, she helps herself get higher up by flapping. It's worked great so far, and now that she is 11, we still use it when we are in a wave pool, helps a lot!!

Gaffer42ca

Um.
Lifeguard 1020 - speaking as a former paramedic it is actually possible to regain a heartbeat without defib. If it is a situation where the heart stops because of hypoxia caused by lack of respiration, as opposed to something like a heart attack, the heart itself is basically healthy. A healthy heart wants to beat - CPR can gives it the prod it needs to start again, especially if the blood pH hasn't gone too far out of kilter. It all depends on how long the child was under water and how cold the water was.
Not breathing on one's own, though, that's absolutely cause for alarm. And I fully agree - 30 minutes response for EMS is not just odd, it's criminal (if accurate)
And still no further news from anyone? Surely Disney can't have hushed this up?

STGRhost

Isn't it possible that (assuming the boy lived), there are near-drownings frequently enough in central Florida that it just wasn't "news"? Consider the number of swimming pools in the area...Would it be safe to say many thousands of people swim at hotel pools and water parks every day - even with the best lifeguards, accidents happen...I have a feeling it wasn't on the news because it wasn't news-worthy.

Also, the "30 minutes"....When things like this happen, time seems to move in slow motion - watching people perform CPR on a little boy for even a few minutes must have seemed like a LONG time...I'm guessing....

CMTinkerBell

I remember it making the news that night and the next morning, but don't remember ever hearing a follow up story on it. I know that they life-flighted the boy out of there.

Dawn S

From what I've come to learn, if someone stubs their toe at a theme park, it makes the news. The media loves to tell a story where they can stick a big corporate name in there. Of course, it wouldn't have escaped the news. However, another thing I've learned...just about any WDW "accident" or injury will make the news immediately, but it soon disappears & is never heard about again. Sounds almost like the mafia. :lol: And final lesson...if someone spits on a guest, I wouldn't be surprised if they sued. Everyone sues over everything & somehow, they usually end up with a nice settlement when dealing with Disney. Don't know if that will be the case here, but it happens all too often. :rolleyes:

RobFL

Account Suspended
Drowning in FL is extremely common.

Most local news/media wont air the story because its considered "old news."

AKA: It happens very often, on-site or off. Accidents involving the attractiosn themselves however, are newsworthy because aren't extremely common.

-Rob

joho0

Actually, swimming pool drownings are the number one cause of accidental death for children in Florida. So, you are correct, it's not necessarily newsworthy. You might read a small blip in the paper, but that's about it.

If you're seriously interested in finding out his condition, you might try calling some of the area hospitals. I would suggest Celebration Health and Sand Lake Hospital. These are the closest to WDW. Though, if he were in critical condition, which it sounds like he was, he was most likely taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children & Women.

I'm not sure what kind of information they would be able to give you since he's a minor, but it may be worth a try.

TURKEY

Originally posted by joho0
Actually, swimming pool drownings are the number one cause of accidental death for children in Florida. So, you are correct, it's not necessarily newsworthy. You might read a small blip in the paper, but that's about it.

If you're seriously interested in finding out his condition, you might try calling some of the area hospitals. I would suggest Celebration Health and Sand Lake Hospital. These are the closest to WDW. Though, if he were in critical condition, which it sounds like he was, he was most likely taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children & Women.

I'm not sure what kind of information they would be able to give you since he's a minor, but it may be worth a try.

I don't think they would give out any information anyway.

DVCgirl49

Minor or not, hospitals are NOT permitted to give out patient information over the telephone. Even if you knew the kid's name and the correct hospital, the most information even a family member would be able to get from a nurse over the telephone is if the patient is stable or in critical condition. They are not allowed to release any specific information over the telephone.

BlueFairy

okay this may sound dum but my ma almost drowned at river country 3 years ago.
she is now pettrified of water.
we were in those inner-tubes and the water was as tall as she was so she figured she could stand up. she couldn't.
every time she would reach the suface she would signal the lifeguard and finally the LG asked her 'do you need any assistance, mam'.
and she has asthma

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom