Driving to Disney

Mouse Man

Original Poster
Every year the DWF and I beging our trek from Southern NJ down to WDW. The night before the excitement in the house is crazy, the check list is done and we go to bed and barely sleep due to just wanting to get on the road and start our vacation. Now get up at 5:30 AM, shower pack the Ford Escape, go over the checklist one more time and then we hit the road with pure excitement and smiles. Now we drive down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and always pull over before we cross and go to Cracker Barrel for Breakfast which has become a ritual for us the past 10 years. Then through Delaware on Rt 1 then 13 and get into VA and stop for pony tails for the DWF eventually cross the Chessapeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel and have lunch on the Bridge at the gift shop and little resteraunt. Then drive onto 58 to 95 and stop here and there and then and always refuel at South Of The Border in South Carolina. Then drive a tad more and pull over and find a place to stay overnight. Get up have Breakfast and drive the rest of the way to Fla stopping hear and there to do and see little things that makes us smile. It never fails that we always arrive in WDW at 5:00 PM. Don't ask why but for some reason this is normal time. Then go to our resort a day erly and the Mrs. always speaks with the hotel which goes on and on for 20 minutes and gets us our room for the night which turns out to be the room we keep when our package starts out the next morning. At this point we are so excited and happy to be in WDW that we hop on the Bus and go to DTD and enjoy a meal at the Rainforest. Our Trip is always in September. So what I would like to hear from all you driving families is what your driving expereince/rituals are like.

zurgandfriend

I don’t drive down from Boston but having been to South of the Border on another occasion I have to ask, do you stop there just to make WDW even more special?
Talk about different ends of the spectrum, if WDW is the top than South of the Border is the bottom (of a septic tank!)

SorcererGrandma

Madness

Our trip was just a couple of weeks ago driving down from Ohio. The plan was to also leave at 5 a.m. but we knew we'd be so eager to get going that we'd probably not get any sleep so why not just leave at 7 p.m.? We'd already been up since 8 a.m. and our destination was an intermediate stop at Brunswick, GA, so we hoped we could stay awake long enough to get that far.

Surprisingly, that trip down I-77 didn't put us to sleep. There was a brief discussion about whether we should find a motel around Virginia or North Carolina but we were wide awake and just continued on. The complication came when we finally got to Brunswick. DGD6 had slept thru the night so when we checked in at the motel, there was no way we adults could get any sleep and leave her to her own devices. Nope, we were going to have to stay up even longer. Eventually, after 36 straight hours of being up, we were finally able to get some sleep when nightime finally came. :snore::snore::snore::snore:

The last leg of the trip down I-95 and I-4 was fairly uneventful other than the anticipation of finally arriving at WDW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Our drive down is pretty short but we always end up stopping at the rest area on I-4 just before Downtown Orlando and there is a little feature in the bathroom that always makes me laugh.

P1060651.jpg

P1060650.jpg

I never realized that people having picnics on baby changing tables was a big issue.

tigsmom

We drive down from the mid hudson valley in NY. We take 87 to 287 and then the NJ turnpike. We leave in the afternoon, stop at the Cracker Barrel in Mt Holly for dinner (about 3 hours away from home) and then stop in Woodbridge Virginia for the night. We have to stop in Selma NC at JR for the DH's cigars and snacks for the kids and we ALWAYS stop in Dillon SC to see Pedro and stretch our legs. We stop in Santee for the night (or if traffic has been good we will push on farther to GA) and then onto WDW. I think my van can make the trip all by it's self because we've done it so many times over the years. :lol:

Have to say I hate the traffic on 95 (especially in VA), but I hate flying even more

ArielLover

I always drive down from New Hampshire. We stop in or around Florence, S.C. I am seriously missing a trip this year but after the wedding and Disneymoon last year, the bank account needed a year to recover.

We will be going in Nov/Dec 2011 for 2 weeks at the fabulous Wilderness Lodge.

Dis4us

Driving Rituals

We are driving from Alabama so it's not a horribly long drive. But, what I do is make up little gift bags for the kids. So, they get one when we are starting out which is normally a movie. Then an hour later they get another, only if they've been good. Which is usually a snack of some sort..goldfish, suckers. Fun stuff. Then another hour they get another. One time it was sunglasses (mickey of course) then an autograph book for the parks. The kids loved it. I would pick up stuff during the year. Really, helped them pass the time. That's only on the first day which is usually an 8 hour drive. The second day is only a couple of hours left.

IWant2GoNow

Heading from Akron, OH we drive every time. Straight down 77 to 26 to 95 to 4. Generally drive straight through as well. Tomorrow we're leaving at 10pm and hope to get to The World around 2 or 3pm. Got a reservation for Fulton's at 4.

One time I did all the driving by myself and just about collapsed as soon as we got to our offsite townhome. I laid on the couch for 5 minutes and I woke up 4 hours later. :lol:

Steve-B

The only real "ritual" my family has is to stop at the first Florida welcome center we cross on I-10 for our first taste of Florida orange juice in-state.

On our last trip, we arrived after it had closed for the day - just threw off my groove for the whole trip. :dazzle:

We usually stop at the Turkey Lake Service Plaza on Florida's Turnpike to refuel (ourselves and the vehicle) and to pick up a few "generic" Florida souvenirs, too.

the-reason14

99.9% of my trips down to WDW are taken in a car. I cant say we have any rituals, but when my mom goes, we usually stop wayyy more on the way down there. Pretty much every walmart from here to orlando we stop at. But when its just me and my dad the only thing I want to do is sleep and get there quicker.

tizzo

We are transplants from NJ living near WDW now, and as such make the reverse trip at least once a year.

We generally drive straight through. We take pets with us so can't really stop for the night. We used to leave around 5-6AM and drive during the day, which took 18 or 19 hours once or twice, but really takes at least 20, and has been taking even longer the last few years.

Recently we tried something different though - by shifting our departure time by just a few hours and leaving at 2AM, we have been able to make it in 18 hours or less reliably (knock wood), without doing more than slightly bending the speed limit.

On our last trip, a lot of I-95 in GA was down to one lane for construction, and by covering that stretch before rush hour started, I'm sure we saved a ton of time.

Also a big improvement was I-95 most of the way from Richmond to Washington DC. On our old schedule we were traveling this area during the evening rush. That entire stretch is bad from around 5PM til at least 9PM, both on weekends and week days, and even between the major cities. Getting through there in the afternoon was a huge improvement.

I-95 in VA is also a much less intimidating stretch of road in the daylight.

C&D

Start at zero-dark-hundred (just the other side of Charleston, SC), hop on 17 South till just before I-95 (where we stop at Denny's at Point South), continue on to the Florida Welcome Center (gotta get that free cup of grapefruit juice and, oh yeah, need a pit stop), then back on the road till we get to exit 68 on I-4 and have lunch at Perkins (right around 1 PM; sit back and plan our assault on WDW). Big smile.

wdwwdeagle

We have a 7 hour drive, which includes:

- a stop for a meal at the Chick Fil A in Tifton, or if it's Sunday, at the Steak N Shake in Tifton

- an in-car battle between whoever is in the front seats to be the "first" in Florida (foot or hand jammed to front of dashboard/floorboard wins)

- me screaming in soprano falsetto the 'tune'/words: "WAY DOWN UPON THE SUWANEE RIVER" as we pass over the bridge of the Suwanee River. This is a little tradition I'm carrying on for my mom who did the same thing EVERY SINGLE family trip, coming and going, since before I was born. Apparently, now that we kids are all grown, she still torments my father with it when the two of them drive to Fla. -- which I think is awesome!

- bringing a roll of quarters for the toll roads.

- trying to be the first to spot the swolphin, SSE, Contemporary/BLT, etc. from the Daniel Webster Western Beltway (is there an abbreviation for that?) as we approach.

-claps and cheers as we pass under the welcome sign on Western Way.

tizzo

Then through Delaware on Rt 1 then 13 and get into VA and stop for pony tails for the DWF eventually cross the Chessapeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel and have lunch on the Bridge at the gift shop and little resteraunt.

Just curious - do you take this route specifically to enjoy the bridge/tunnel? Any idea how it compares with just taking I-95 the whole way, in terms of drive time or mileage? We're always looking for a change of pace to make the drive more interesting - but we're usually always on a schedule as well.

GOT2SAMMIES

Okay since me grandmother (and now my mother) live in Florida our trek is usually the same. AS long as I have my other half we drive... If not I fly with the little guy... It takes me about 11-12 hrs to get to Nannies from good ol Va. We normally leave about 4am-5am trek down 58 through emporia and always stop at the Hardee's right before you hit 95. Next stop for has is South of the Border..you would think I would get sick of those signs saying how many miles til Pedro.... But now I think of them as a closer to Disney sign.... We again normally have to stop in GA or right after we hit florida and we try to hit the orange stand (you now the one with the biggest gator!) and get some oranges.... Then as soon as we hit daytona is ON! Only a a little more than a hour to get to Nannies! After we spend some time with her... I hop on i-4 and drive the wonderful 45 minutes to Disney.. Last time I took the turnpike and ended up on the backside of Disney property which was GREAT! No traffic or anything.. It spits you out where they are building the new shopping destination... Then off to the hotel to check-in then DTD for the evenign before we hit the parks!

tigsmom

We are transplants from NJ living near WDW now, and as such make the reverse trip at least once a year.

We generally drive straight through. We take pets with us so can't really stop for the night. We used to leave around 5-6AM and drive during the day, which took 18 or 19 hours once or twice, but really takes at least 20, and has been taking even longer the last few years.

Recently we tried something different though - by shifting our departure time by just a few hours and leaving at 2AM, we have been able to make it in 18 hours or less reliably (knock wood), without doing more than slightly bending the speed limit.

On our last trip, a lot of I-95 in GA was down to one lane for construction, and by covering that stretch before rush hour started, I'm sure we saved a ton of time.

Also a big improvement was I-95 most of the way from Richmond to Washington DC. On our old schedule we were traveling this area during the evening rush. That entire stretch is bad from around 5PM til at least 9PM, both on weekends and week days, and even between the major cities. Getting through there in the afternoon was a huge improvement.

I-95 in VA is also a much less intimidating stretch of road in the daylight.

We usually hit a tone of traffic there and so now we take 295 (I think that's it) around Richmond. We try to avoid all the bigger cities because we always hit it at rush hour :lol:

DisneyLeo18

Funny I saw this thread, my friend texted me about an hour ago saying "Florida in August?". I told him we will talk it over, then he dropped the old "we might have to drive though." I laughed and told him we definitely have to talk it over because I'm not sure I can sit in the car that long.

The real kicker is they want to take my car which gets approximately 12 MPG:ROFLOL:

luvlifeinfl

I live in Northern VA near Fredrick, MD. The first 3 trips to FL we drove. I would drive the 4hrs to get us to the NC border and stop at the rest stop which was usually around 4am. have a potty break, switch drivers and my hubby would drive to GA, but we would stop in SC grab a bite/bathroom/ fill up with gas, get back on road. Hubby would pull over in GA and let me drive till we arrived at the visitor center as soon as you cross into FL. Then hubby would drive till we arrived at our resort around 4pm. Also driving we took I-95 to I-4.

Now though since the Auto train is about an 1.5 from my house we drive to Lorton, VA get on the train and let them do the driving and we get to take our van with us. The Fl train station is about an 1 from WDW.

tigsmom

I live in Northern VA near Fredrick, MD. The first 3 trips to FL we drove. I would drive the 4hrs to get us to the NC border and stop at the rest stop which was usually around 4am. have a potty break, switch drivers and my hubby would drive to GA, but we would stop in SC grab a bite/bathroom/ fill up with gas, get back on road. Hubby would pull over in GA and let me drive till we arrived at the visitor center as soon as you cross into FL. Then hubby would drive till we arrived at our resort around 4pm. Also driving we took I-95 to I-4.

Now though since the Auto train is about an 1.5 from my house we drive to Lorton, VA get on the train and let them do the driving and we get to take our van with us. The Fl train station is about an 1 from WDW.

My inlaws have done that as well! It would still take us about 6 hours to get to Lorton and we talk about the auto train all the time, just haven't ever committed to it. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom