Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

alissafalco

Original Poster
How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?

disneysince71

How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?

We drive but we have 6, 7 when my daughters fiancé is with us. So its better for us to drive... How many do you have?

vinnya1726

We are planning on driving this summer from Long Island. The cost for four of us to fly is just outrageous. Plus the last two times we have flown to WDW, we have had out luggage opened and items missing. While I will not complain about security, I just do not like it when things I buy for family and friends seem to disappear. I will take my 16 hours in the car and enjoy the time with my family and save the money and not deal with the hassles that go with traveling by air.

PUSH

We've driven all but one of our 11 (soon to be 12) trips. It is about a 21 hour drive for us, but we stop sometimes on the way down. It's so much cheaper than flying, IMO. Plus, you have your car down there so you don't have to rely on Disney transportation if you don't want to, although I know some of you wouldn't want anything but Disney transportation.

You can take what you want with you without worrying about it fitting in a suitcase. It's a long drive, but we manage. It's really up to you and how big your family is. If it's only two people then it's probably cheaper flying, but once you start to get 3 or more people it's insane depending on when you're traveling.

**EDIT** This is with stops. Not including stopping at a hotel for the night.

Kristamouse

We drive from Kentucky, about 14 hours with stops. We drove before and after kids, plane money=longer WDW stay. Our local airport is CVG (NKY/Cincy) is very expensive. Driving to a cheaper airport means layover in ATL aka h*ll on earth and most likely a delay. DH and I travel alone and by plane for his work conference once a year, we always have a significant delay/cancleation. Last July we spent 18 hours in ATL and had to corridnate a new sitter for our kids at home via phone. Can not imange how ed I would be if we were a. Missing 18 hours of WDW or B.my passel of children stuck for 18 hours in any airport. Truthfully we don't mind the drive, DH and I listen to books along the way. He never reads and I always do so it is nice for us to discuss the book for a change than me just drone on and on about what I am reading. Now that we have four kids and one on the way flying is not an option. Cost is an issue but in all honesty I don't want to sit next to my own kids in the plane much less ask strangers too. We did fly to Naples FL last May and the kids did great but the stress of security with 4 kids, 4 car sets, a stroller and two carry on bags was enough to make us hold off on any more plane adventures until the car seats and strollers are not an issue. The kids see the drive as part of the trip and enjoy getting unlimited screen time on the DVD player and I pads...that never happens at home.
Like I said first I see plane tickets as extra WDW days.

DRC68

Back in Aug. '10, we pulled our camper to Fort Wilderness from CT. Myself, DW, DD x2 (both under 3!), MIL, FIL, SIL...took about 23 hours total, each way, including stopping for gas every 2 hours. Cost roughly $800 round trip for fuel. Even if we'd booked the cheapest flight, it would have cost more for just one of us.
BTW, it was a loooooong drive. I can't wait to do it again someday!

mcurtiss

we stood in line at Aladdin's with two girls from Ontario. They drove the previous day 19 hours straight...well, their dad did.

We asked if he was tired and they were all like "oh no, he's fine!!!"

one was like "I SLEPT FOR A WHOLE THREE HOURS!!!!" heheh!

Poor dad was sucking down a DoleWhip and sitting on a bench...probably loving every minute. ;)

FabulousFigment

Growing up, we were about 16 hours away - we always flew. There were 5 of us and my parents knew better than to cram us all in the volvo. Someone would arrive missing a limb or at least a tooth. Spring break in college I was 18 hours away with my boyfriend and 3 best friends - the drive was one of the best parts of the trip. Now we live 6 hours away and just came back from Disney. We drove with our toddler and infant. We drove early in the AM and it was perfect.

I agree with pp who said that it kinda depends on who you are traveling with!

Goofyernmost

Used to drive all the time from Vermont to Disney. We didn't rush it. We would leave home on Saturday Morning, drive to Fredricksburg, VA., spend the night. The next day would be shorter we only went as far as Walterboro, SC and the next morning head out to Orlando. We arrived at our hotel usually around 2 PM. Picked up supplies, sat by the pool and planned our next day in WDW after we had rested up.

Reverse procedure on the way back with different stops but the same basic time on the road per day. When I told people what we did, they just can't believe that we didn't just keep driving. Well, it was what worked for us and I have never regretted doing it that way.

After my divorce, I kind of mixed it up. Sometimes I'd take a road trip, sometimes I'd fly and equally enjoyed either one.

Now living in NC, I jump in the car and drive straight through to Disney.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We always drive. About 14 hours actual driving, 15.5 with stops. Usually leave our place about 4pm and drive straight through the night, arriving around 7:30am, just in time for 8am EMH at one of the parks! Love having the car and costs about $500 less for us - which covers about 4 days of food and spending in the World. Worth the tired first day!

disneysince71

Used to drive all the time from Vermont to Disney. We didn't rush it. We would leave home on Saturday Morning, drive to Fredricksburg, VA., spend the night. The next day would be shorter we only went as far as Walterboro, SC and the next morning head out to Orlando. We arrived at our hotel usually around 2 PM. Picked up supplies, sat by the pool and planned our next day in WDW after we had rested up.

Reverse procedure on the way back with different stops but the same basic time on the road per day. When I told people what we did, they just can't believe that we didn't just keep driving. Well, it was what worked for us and I have never regretted doing it that way.

After my divorce, I kind of mixed it up. Sometimes I'd take a road trip, sometimes I'd fly and equally enjoyed either one.

Now living in NC, I jump in the car and drive straight through to Disney.

We are also NC 9 hour drive... actually leaving for WDW TONIGHT about 1:00 A.M. s... we will be there before noon...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom